• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Pilsners?

SheenaGreena

peter you drink a lot of beer (like me), what are your favorites?

Favourites (venturing off topic from Pils)......that's tough. Beers are like friends, it's good to have a lot you get along with.

Beer Lao (that was obvious)

Bier La Rue in Vietnam (which was the original brewery in the French days as Beer Lao - you'll recognize the black panther) - like Beer Lao - you can drink it warm.

Budvar (but I haven't found a lot of it outside of Mongolia)

The cream bitter at the Londoner in Bangkok. It's a compromise bitter between the North and South of England, but I like it.

Brewerkz Singapore's XIPA and MoGwai. The XIPA is everything you want in an IPA, and then overhopped, and the MoGwai has a deep maltiness that's intriguing.

Bowen Island Blonde - just a nice blond

Hophead - a good sitting around Vancouver beer

Eumundi - I still have fond memories of this beer while driving down the coast of Oz

Fuller's London Pride

Tetley's

Leffe blonde and Pauwel Kwack in Brussels (or Calgary) and any framboise in Brussels

I'm actually kind of partial to Hite in Korea, although I don't know why. I used to like Crown, but I don't think it exists under that name anymore.

La Fin du Monde and the Maudite (the Quebecois may actually make better Belgian beers than the Belgians)

Guiness - but seldom after 9:00 a.m.

Those are the ones that come to the top of my mind, which probably means that if I don't have to check my notes, they've gotta be my favourites.

great list, but disagree about the quebecois making better beer than the belgians.

any korean beer is gross, the only good thing about it is that you can drink in public and buy it from a vending machine

ever have t'smisje blonde or foret (saison)? those would be great to drink in this hot weather as would ice cold pilsners. I wish my boyfriend would drink on the weekdays...summer vacation is boring ):

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Radeberger started popping up here in NYC in the past year or so.  Another German pilsner I've just had here very recently was Mahrs Brau, which was nice, but not as crisp and balanced as I prefer -- a bit flabby and nondescript.  Of course, it may well have been the fault of the bar, which has a few too many draught lines (a whopping 66) to be sure they're all clean and fresh...

But Berliner Kindl Weiss (yes, it's also available here if you look hard enough) is hardly a pilsner.

Christopher

Berliner Kindl has been making a pils here for 100 years. They started with weizen but moved on to other styles. They even make a Radler with their pils. It is half beer half lemonade. I can't stand it but it is very popular here in Germany. All of the large brewers make a version of this.

Radeberger started popping up here in NYC in the past year or so.  Another German pilsner I've just had here very recently was Mahrs Brau, which was nice, but not as crisp and balanced as I prefer -- a bit flabby and nondescript.  Of course, it may well have been the fault of the bar, which has a few too many draught lines (a whopping 66) to be sure they're all clean and fresh...

But Berliner Kindl Weiss (yes, it's also available here if you look hard enough) is hardly a pilsner.

Christopher

Berliner Kindl has been making a pils here for 100 years. They started with weizen but moved on to other styles.

Well, whoops. Since the weizen that Berliner Kindl makes is really a style unto itself (and one that has detractors as avid as its lovers), I always assumed it was the only style they produced. Pardon my misguided presumption!

Christopher