• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's this stuff on my sesame candy?

Kim Shook

I bought some yummy Yen Nhung black sesame candy. It comes in little disks separated by the same size/shape disks of this stuff. Said stuff is off-white, crunchy, styrofoam-y, edible and tasteless. It is also basically impossible to totally remove from the candy disks. I have tried scraping, cutting, etc. I still have some stuck to the candy. Is my candy defective?? I'd rather not eat the stuff - it dilutes the wonderful sesame flavor. I looked on the Asian candy thread and found mentions of sesame candy, but not of my particular problem.

Ok, yes, it's melting as I type. I guess my real question is this: is my candy defective (i.e.: did it get too hot or something)? Surely the wafer isn't supposed to stick to the candy, right? It is there just to prevent the candy disks from sticking together, right? Shouldn't it just pop off the disk? The wafer (good name since it lacks the exact same taste as communion wafers lack :laugh:) doesn't add anything to the candy, as a matter of fact, as I said above - it dilutes the intensity of the black sesame.

I don't think it's defective; I think it's meant to be eaten although you're right, it doesn't add anything to the taste. All the ones I've had have been like that - stuck to the candy.

and yes, it also reminds me of communion wafers. Which I haven't tasted in years...

Those little discs are called 'oblaten'. They are used in a variety of situations - and are very common in German pastries - in order to keep the sticky stuff from sticking to the pan, sticking to the paper, sticking to your hands etc. Perfectly safe and intended to be eaten.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten