• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1st attempt at Char Sui Pork

1000060img2ss.th.jpg

Simmering the pork...

1000061img0sc.th.jpg

In the oven....had to use a bit of good ole fashioned ingenuity to get the pork hanging just right :wink:

1000062img7ee.th.jpg

Letting it cool before the big freeze.

1000058img1kl.th.jpg

And I hate cleaning. :hmmm:

I used hzrt8w's recipe posted a while back which called for a myriad of different ingredients, including LKK's Chinese Marinade and pre-made char sui sauce. I used a smidge of it tonight (out of the 4 lbs total) in some fried rice, and it came out wonderfully.

[EDIT] By the way, I cheated and used some red food coloring because I like the way the outside of the pork is an almost unnatural blood-like color. No shame here lol :laugh: :laugh:

Edited by jtnippon1985 (log)

Simmering the pork...

[EDIT] By the way, I cheated and used some red food coloring because I like the way the outside of the pork is an almost unnatural blood-like color. No shame here lol  :laugh: :laugh:

That's a new idea: simmering before roasting. Has anyone used and can compare the two methods? One with just marinading then straight into the oven, and jtnippon's method of simmering then roasting?

What "times" did you use for simmering and roasting?

What cut of meat?

Would the flavour be more intense if the meat was simmered first?

In order to get the red colour, you pretty much have to use some food colouring. Just as long as it doesn't come out fluorescent pink, you're ok. :laugh:

I think this forum has taken things up a notch compared to the "requisite fridge shot" in foodblogs: oven shots!:laugh::laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

It looks great! :wub: (drool)

But I did have a question: for BBQ aficionados, I've heard that parboiling is pretty much sacrilege, so I'm also curious as to why you simmered your pork before roasting. Did you do it to cut down on the cooking time?

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I shouldn't take any credit for the recipe, as it is I copied Ah Leung's recipe from another thread and used it. He replied again in the topic suggesting to keep the pork moist yet crispy on the outside, to simmer it before putting it in the oven. The only thing I didn't do exactly like the recipe called for was to use pork tenderloins...as I thought to be on the safe side of ensuring this first time attempt with the best possibly results...I used Boston Butt.

It also helps to work part time in a meat department where you can prepare all your own meats. :raz:

One modification that has worked in the past is roasting at a very low temp (c150c) for 2-3 hours and then blasting in hot oven grill just at the very end to crisp it up. keeps the meat moister. we use shoulder.

J

I take 150c to mean 150F, but I can't understand using those temperatures

either. In my oven, that would be "warming". If meat were left for 2-3 hours at 150F, it would render the meat unsafe to eat. :shock:

How big are the pieces of pork used?

Boston butt/shoulder is a good choice. The fat provides the nice crispy bits.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I take 150c to mean 150F, but I can't understand using those temperatures

either. In my oven, that would be "warming". If meat were left for 2-3 hours at 150F, it would render the meat unsafe to eat.  :shock:

150c is 302 Farenheit. 150F is 66C which is only about the temp. of a nice cup of tea - certainly not a roasting temp.

Ohhh, I stand corrected! Heston Blumenthal recommends roasting rib of beef at 130F for 20hrs !!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database...eef_74821.shtml

Best Wishes,

Chee Fai.