• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kei's Bakery

Vancouver

Yay! Kei's bakery is open again. :smile: Hiroshi said that they were closed because his wife Kaori, the baker, was suffering from really bad morning sickness and couldn't work. They were very close to closing completely! I'm happy that they made it through - they're a sweet couple and they are definitely the best Japanese bakery in town.

PS - Kaori's due at the end of April and it's going to be a girl!

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

• 1 year later...

Kei's Bakery is closing at the end of July :sad:

They're moving back to Japan, and are planning to open franchises with Kaori's pastry teacher in Fukuoka, somewhere in the south of France (Hiroshi likes Arles), and somewhere in Italy. They hope to open a combined boulangerie/patisserie in Japan.

I'm hoping to visit Kei's again before they close so I can nab some of those Mt. Tea and Mt. Matcha buns. The seasonal strawberry & cream buns are pretty yummy too!

They will be selling their business to their friends, who will most likely be converting the space into a cafe.

Update: Their last day will be August 26 - phew! One more month left. I just tried the blueberry brioche today - not very brioche-like, but delicious nonetheless, filled with blueberries & cream cheese custard.

• 1 month later...

Went by yesterday and they are officially closed. :sad:

There's a sign on the door saying that their friends will be taking over the bakery in the fall. Doesn't mention if it'll remain Kei's Bakery or if they're rebranding it altogether. It'll be interesting to see how the new owners stack up!