• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Visiting Ocean City

hshiau

The family's heading down to Ocean City next week. We'll be staying at the new Hilton that just went up. Since it is a tourist destination, I'd like to try to avoid all the really bad food that you usually expect. Any recommendations on places to eat for breakfast/lunch/dinner?

Also, any reasonably priced golf in the area?

The family's heading down to Ocean City next week.  We'll be staying at the new Hilton that just went up.  Since it is a tourist destination, I'd like to try to avoid all the really bad food that you usually expect.  Any recommendations on places to eat for breakfast/lunch/dinner? 

Also, any reasonably priced golf in the area?

Generally speaking, if you want a good meal you need to get out of Ocean City, heading north to Rehoboth or one of the more upscale towns in Delaware. This thread might have some tips.

In between OC and Rehoboth lies Bethany Beach, I seem to recall a decent meal or two at Sedona.

I'm sure there's something decent in OC, but I'd resign myself to burgers, pizza, fries and beer -- and some crabs, of course -- and be pleasantly surprised if you get beyond that.

The only golf I have any experience with in the area is the mini-golf, so I'm not much help there.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Generally speaking, if you want a good meal you need to get out of Ocean City, heading north to Rehoboth or one of the more upscale towns in Delaware.  This thread might have some tips. 

In between OC and Rehoboth lies Bethany Beach, I seem to recall a decent meal or two at Sedona.

I'm sure there's something decent in OC, but I'd resign myself to burgers, pizza, fries and beer -- and some crabs, of course -- and be pleasantly surprised if you get beyond that.

The only golf I have any experience with in the area is the mini-golf, so I'm not much help there.

I'm definitely resigned to burgers, pizza, and crabs. But there's "burgers, pizza, and crabs" and then there are "burgers, pizza, and crabs". You know what I mean?

I'm with Dean on Thrashers! I've been going to OC for almost 50 years and whether we are there for 2 days or a month, we eat Thrashers every single day. No kidding. You are on the eastern shore of MD. Don't fight it. Eat whats good - beach pizza, Thrashers, warm caramel corn, frozen custard, steamed crabs. I am envying you so much. Wish we could get there this summer!!

Definitely several trips to Thrasher's. But you MUST eat them within 10 minutes or they mortify in the paper bucket. They do NOT have ketchup (the vinegar is the way to go) so if that is a must, bring little packets.

I haven't been for a few years but in the past, Warren's Station up in Fenwick/Bethany was always very good.

Thanks,

Kevin

http://www.warrensstation.com/

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

My family is very partial to the Bayside Skillet in OC. They do variations on crepes or omelets, my fav is the lemon-honey crepe. They also do a

heart-attack-on-a-plate called Tara Potatoes - basically home fries smothered in bacon, oinons and chedder cheese. Nice if you like that kind of thing. :shock:

I opt for the fresh strawberries w/ chantilly cream. :wub:

http://www.baysideskillet.com/

Edited to agree that Phillips Seafood is not worthy of your time & $$$ and that Fager's is still pretty good, imho of course.

Edited by shelly59 (log)

Hi,

My info is very dated, as I've been going to Delaware since my fav dog friendly places were sold and became not so dog friendly, but here goes...

If the Captian's Table is still around, somewhere around the 30's, the SOS used to be the best.

Burgers, etc. I used to like the Alaska Stand, somewhat north of the Captian's Table.

Seacrets used to be a small local place but has become a Mega Club. The Jamacian Jerk dishes were good.

Fager's Island was a nice place for good food, drinks and a good sunset.

Just across the Del state line there's a place called Fenwick Island Crab House that was once very good.

Lombardi's Pizza was our fav.

Been about 10 years since I've been there but many of the places have been around for many many years and are probably still there.

BTW, IMHO Phillips Seafood House ain't that good.

Edited by BobL (log)

• 1 year later...

Some great suggestions above, like Thrasher's Fries and Bayside Skillet.

You simply don't go to Ocean City for Citronelle-type food. If that's your expectation, then you'll be sorely disappointed. Go there with an eye toward what's good there (in context).

I enjoy crabs at Higgin's Crab House on 135th (but the one downtown is good too). I like breakfast at the General's Kitchen or even at The Dough Roller. For late night snacking/ice cream, I enjoy Dumser's Dairyland.

There's also a place right at the 65th Street bridge that's a white shack on the ocean side with the Grateful Dead bears as part of its' logo - they make pretty decent subs.

Sometimes I bring my cousins who bring their families and we inevitably end up at one of those buffet places like Hall's - if it wasn't for them, I would avoid those buffet joints like the plague. It's just eating by trough.

I've been going to O.C. Wasabi (oceanside, 33rd St. Coastal Highway) for about four years now for good sushi. Some of their fish is locally caught daily (including some excellent raw scallops) and the couple who runs it is very friendly.

We like Bethany Blues for ribs and such, and there are always more gourmet options in Rehoboth, but ask around. Some of the places change hands frequently and the quality varies. We had one of the best meals I've ever eaten at Celsius one year, then returned two years later for wet, soggy softshell crabs and long-dead, inedible mussels swimming in thick, puckeringly salty sludge.

Thrashers is a must. So is a late-night stop for a cheesesteak somewhere.