• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tasting spoons...

thegreatdane

Okay, this is odd but you guys know so much I'd be surprised if you didn't have the answer.

Are there tasting spoons that are edible? Maybe small rice starch spoons?

I'd like to offer tastings and abhor giving out plastic spoons that'll just be thrown away.

I have seen oriental-style tasting spoons made of porcelain ... and they can be reused ... plastic spoons smack of cheap :hmmm: ... but an edible tasting spoon would need to be (a) somewhat durable and (b) not interfere with the flavor of the item to be tasted ... no? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Yep. These things exist. The company that makes them is Rue Lafayette Inc. They come in both sweet of neutral flavours.

Their website doesn't seem to be working, but I have a some literature from them (they were at Kosherfest in NY last year).

Rue Lafayette Inc.

1175 East 8th Street

Brooklyn, NY

Phone - 718.998.5440

Fax - 718.228.253

click to email

I think the products actually come from Europe - and they come in a variety of shapes (without a handle) or shaped like a spoon.

eta:

more info. they seem to be Croc'In products.

i've been longing for this tuile stencil:spoon shaped tuile stencil

from chef rubber....i keep starting to order it, and then the fact that the shipping is almost as much as the damn stencil stops me....but they would be perfect for edible tasting spoons!

if that doesn't work, i have used almondinas:

almondina cookies

for some things, with good results. (trader joe's sells the original flavor, if you have a tj's nearby)

what are you sampling? that would make a difference...

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

i've been longing for this tuile stencil:spoon shaped tuile stencil

from chef rubber....i keep starting to order it, and then the fact that the shipping is almost as much as the damn stencil stops me....but they would be perfect for edible tasting spoons!

if that doesn't work, i have used almondinas:

almondina cookies

for some things, with good results. (trader joe's sells the original flavor, if you have a tj's nearby)

what are you sampling? that would make a difference...

this is off topic, but:

chez cherie, if you're not doing production work and just want a stencil for fun stuff at home, you can make it yourself much cheaper (free?!). just take the lid to a large yogurt container or a piece of plastic of desired thickness and cut out the shape of a spoon with an exacto knife. when i worked in restaurants, that's what we did.

there's actually a thread here somewhere about making your own stencils...some people use a hot knife, some people use rigid acetate, there are so many things around the house you can use. i've used plastic three ring binder subject dividers. some people even use heavy card stock (paper) if they're doing a special design for one time use. don't feel that you have to spend the money to have a good time with tuiles! :smile:

Edited by alanamoana (log)

thegreatdane,

if you're looking for something neutral, and your tasting item is not liquid, can't you just buy rice paper sheets and cut them into little squares? then you can plop your tasting on top and people can eat the whole thing in one bite.

or you can take the rice paper sheets (vietnamese summer roll wrappers) and deep fry them. they come out like prawn chips and are very neutral/bland tasting. again, i don't think with any of these items you can use liquid...it'd sog out too quickly.

I looked at the Rue LaFayette site.  What they have is a pastry shaped like a spoon.

I'm looking for a sample spoon, perhaps made of rice paper or starch.

They are pastry - but they have a 'neutral' flavour.

Rice paper may be good, but I don't know how great the mouth feel of a rice-starch item would be.

Do you want people to be able to eat the spoon or just have a more environmentally sound alternative to throw out?

Your question reminded me that during the 2000 Olympics in Sydney the food concessions all used biodegradable products--sugar derived I believe--not only for their utensils, but for cups and food containers. Here's a link to a website that lists several companies that produce biodegradable products from different natural sources, including those used in food service. I've never purchased any products from these companies so I can't personally vouch for them.

Biodegradable Products Companies

Good luck.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I saw these spoons made from potatos at The Ferry Market Plaza. While not edible, they are fully compostable.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I saw these spoons made from potatos at The Ferry Market Plaza. While not edible, they are fully compostable.

Uh, did you read all of that, doc?

Categories: Biodegradable, agriculturally based, less toxic.

Sweet. Less toxic than what?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Uh, did you read all of that, doc?

Categories: Biodegradable, agriculturally based, less toxic.

Sweet. Less toxic than what?

Presumably than plastic, but that is a good question!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

this is off topic, but:

chez cherie, if you're not doing production work and just want a stencil for fun stuff at home, you can make it yourself much cheaper (free?!).  just take the lid to a large yogurt container or a piece of plastic of desired thickness and cut out the shape of a spoon with an exacto knife.  when i worked in restaurants, that's what we did.

there's actually a thread here somewhere about making your own stencils...some people use a hot knife, some people use rigid acetate, there are so many things around the house you can use.  i've used plastic three ring binder subject dividers.  some people even use heavy card stock (paper) if they're doing a special design for one time use.  don't feel that you have to spend the money to have a good time with tuiles!  :smile:

thanks, alamoana--many a coffee can lid has given its life for this purpose in my kitchen...i just love the idea of being able to slather a dozen at a time, without moving (or cleaning) the stencil between each li'l spoon...i should prolly just order the damn thing, instead of longing for it!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I'm working on a recipe for a nutbutter spread and thought an edible spoon would be good, or one that didn't add to the trash heap.

I like the idea of cutting up rice paper but I may have something even more simple...

Pretzels! Little pretzel sticks. (Duh!)

Thanks for all your good ideas and links, folks.

Tom