• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktail glasses

Kent Wang

I found exactly the cocktail glasses I had sought for years when I was in Italy last year (although the glasses are German). Here is a tiny image:

gallery_21091_1458_1047.jpg

At least I'm pretty sure this is an image of these glasses. It's the Schott-Zwiesel Banquet pattern "cocktail bowl", and I love them. They're nice and small and short, and have gently curved sides instead of being the straight, severe V shape. They were, I think, 30 euros for six. I have, of course, broken one of them, and I need more than five. But I can't find them anywhere in the US. I find other pieces in the Banquet pattern, but not the cocktail bowl. Must I go back to Como to find more? I've found an etailer in the UK that carries them and will ship to the US (look HERE), but the shipping charge is 45 pounds sterling, which may be fair enough but is an awful lot. Anybody seen these in the US?

I picked up a set of champagne glasses (Marie Antoinette?) on eBay a couple years ago, and I am very fond of them.

They're not super fancy; but, they were cheap, (dontcha just love when no one else bids?) and perfect size (4-5 ounces) for Martinis and such.

gallery_27569_3038_13806.jpg

Also have some regular heavy 8oz whiskey glasses I use for more "manly" cocktails and a set of very thin tall glasses my wife got from her grandmother which work well for highballs and such.

And, of course, the usual tragically mismatched set of "survivor" wine glasses, souvenir shot glasses from college, pint glasses, mugs and the like.

edit - spelling

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I picked up a set of champagne glasses (Marie Antoinette?) on eBay a couple years ago, and I am very fond of them.

Well... a "Marie Antoinette" glass is really a curved champagne coupe -- so called on the false premise that this stemware shape was modeled after the shape and size of Marie Antoinette's (presumably rather diminutive) breasts. I'd say that a Marie Antoinette is more something like this, maybe even a little more shallow:

gallery_8505_1301_24559.jpg

--

Is that your gear, slkinsey? That's a beautiful cocktail shaker. Is the top silver? Pewter? Does it have a story?

I'd love to know the answer to this question (antique barware fetishist) and more importantly, what'd 'ya mix up there brotha'? Looks mighty tasty. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'd say, deftly donning my Sherlock Holmes chapeau, the answer is elementary - we have all the evidence we need before us: 3 parts Charbray orange vodka, 1 part fresh lime juice, 1 part Belle de Brillet Pear Liqueur....and a big honking slice of avocado, yumm!

Always glad to be of service, --Doc.

I'd love to see more vintage glasses. I like a lot of pieces from Art Deco. Vintage pieces tend to be of superior construction, not to mention it's just cool having something with history.

I like those Marie Antoinette glasses a lot, seems like a much better alternative to margarita glasses. Really, it seems unnecessary to purchase special glasses just for margaritas. The Marie Antoinette would be able to pull double duty for both cocktails and margaritas.

I've always heard that the glasses were molded after Helen of Troy's breast.  The most beautiful woman serving as the mold for the most beautiful of beverages, champagne.  I do like the Marie Antoinette however.

Yeah, but by the time champagne had been invented, Helen of Troy probably wasn't looking so great anymore.

There's actually an article on snopes.com about the various legends surrounding the creation of the champagne coupe.  According to the article, it was designed in England around 1663.  That would rule out any inspiration from Marie Antoinette, who was not born until 1755.

Think it rules out any direct relationship with Helen of Troys breasts too. There was no one around on 1663 that would have seen them. !

gethin

These are my favorite "everyday" glasses, but they came in a travel set and I'm not sure how to get more.

gallery_7258_2197_212.jpg

I like these for tall drinks:

gallery_7258_2197_15358.jpg

This is most of my "vintage" glassware (as well as some that's not so vintage):

gallery_7258_2197_12764.jpg