• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barbancourt 8 and 15 year old

Ed Hamilton

I'd love to hear some comments comparing the Barbancourt 8 or five star and their 15 year old rum. When I do rum tasting for groups I usually taste both of these and it isn't uncommon for people to say they prefer the younger rum which brings me back to one of my early conclusions that you have to drink the rum and not just read the label to discern what you really like to drink. And all this doesn't even consider the difference in price.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

I like Barbancourt 15 a lot. That being said, its the only Barbancourt in my collection -- but I have tasted the 8. I think the 15 is smokier, the 8 may be a bit smoother. But as I like smoky, I might be in the minority.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host