• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Simpatica Sunday Brunch

Yesterday we were fortunate enough to share Sunday brunch at Simpatica with Tejon, Duckduck, eJulia, Cat Lancaster, and a couple of their buds.

It's an unusual place - a caterer by day, an email-list weekend dinner spot, and open every Sunday for brunch. Duckduck is a friend of the (really nice and clean) kitchen

gallery_16307_3062_85815.jpg

so they treated us really well. It's a very hard menu to choose from, as everything sounds great, and all the passing plates are appealing. These pictures aren't the best, and I missed a few dishes in the rush to make new friends, but here's some of what you can expect if you manage to go there.

gallery_16307_3062_9579.jpg

Eggs Benedict with house-cured ham and roasted potatoes. All of their meats are house-cured, which is a real treat.

gallery_16307_3062_43294.jpg

Andouille and smoked salmon hash

gallery_16307_3062_57349.jpg

The kitchen sent this out, since none of us had the good sense to order it - Crab and shrimp strata, even better than what I ordered. I hate it when that happens.

gallery_16307_3062_45018.jpg

their house-cured bacon (and I have to say, not quite as good as what we've been making over on the Charcuterie thread, but still very tasty)

gallery_16307_3062_60859.jpg

crepes stuffed with asparagus, ham, and er, something. I didn't take notes, so I'm just winging it here.

gallery_16307_3062_50241.jpg

fried chicken and waffles, with strawberry sauce.

They had two desserts on the menu so we ordered one of each for the table - a chocolate decadence-type cake, and an olive oil and lemon cake with a rhubarb compote. The kitchen also sent us a great panna cotta with a compote of dried currants, raisins, and blueberries. They all disappeared before I could get my camera to focus, at least, that's my excuse.

It was a true pleasure to meet such a lovely bunch of Portlanders, and to brunch together in the cozy and yummy Simpatica Dining Hall. Go, if you get a chance. Reservations for groups of 8 only.

"Can you expose your hash a bit more?" (said before taking a shot of eJulia's delicious looking plate). I swear, that may have to be my new sig line :laugh:

They really did take good care of us, didn't they? The food was almost as good as the company. It was great to finally meet up in person :smile:.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Great company and great food! And thanks to the kitchen. I kept thinking about the dish they sent out. It was my third choice...did they read my mind? Was I really thinking that loud? When the server asked if I needed more time to make my decision, I told her I was just pondering how many plates I could fit in front of me. :biggrin: It was all wonderful. Thanks for the laughs and thanks again to the kitchen for giving us the royal treatment!

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Okay,okay...

I split my yolk and exposed my hash... please don't tell my family!!!! I just don't know how they'll take it ! :laugh:

Late in replying, but it was an awesome event to a new Portlander, and a treat to meet other eGulletters. Thanks to all.

eJulia

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

I keep coming back to this topic--I love the pictures!

Anyone know if Simpatica has long line-ups at 9am for their Sunday brunch? I only have 1 Sunday in Portland, and I think it involves an extended-family brunch, but I want to eat at Simpatica!! I could do breakfast at 9, then brunch with family later....

I've heard people talk about a wait at 10am, I didn't really see much waiting until 11 am the morning we were there. You should be fine at 9.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."