• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Tortillas at Home

AlainV

53 minutes ago, Hassouni said:

Do you add the water all at once or a bit at a time? I started with equal parts water and maseca and it was kind of soupy, but adding just a bit more maseca made it really dry - i'd say in the end it was maybe 50-50

I add the (warmed, if I remember) water all at once.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, Hassouni said:

Any thoughts on using old Maseca? And should the "comal" be so hot the seasoning vaporizes off?

I've never made tortillas, but I have kept maseca around so long that it went rancid. I'm bringing it up in case it hasn't occurred to you, but you'd probably notice the off-flavor and off-odor anyway. (In my case, an entire bag went out to the compost! 😧)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

6 hours ago, Hassouni said:

Any thoughts on using old Maseca? And should the "comal" be so hot the seasoning vaporizes off?

I usually use a non-stick electric griddle.  Once I decided to try my big Falk frying pan.  Incinerated the tortillas.

I made a wetter dough this time, about a 3:4 flour:water mix and it was too wet, i added a bit more masa harina back in so it was cohesive. I still had issues breaking it when peeling the plastic off after pressing. The first plastic sheet I remove comes off with no problem, whether it was on the top or bottom, but the second sheet sticks and ends up tearing the dough. Part of the issue is that the Ziplock freezer bags are very thick and stiff, and have a tendency to crease, which can poke into the dough but it's not just that, because I see plenty of tutorials using exactly that plastic. Could it be the old flour?

48 minutes ago, Hassouni said:

I made a wetter dough this time, about a 3:4 flour:water mix and it was too wet, i added a bit more masa harina back in so it was cohesive. I still had issues breaking it when peeling the plastic off after pressing. The first plastic sheet I remove comes off with no problem, whether it was on the top or bottom, but the second sheet sticks and ends up tearing the dough. Part of the issue is that the Ziplock freezer bags are very thick and stiff, and have a tendency to crease, which can poke into the dough but it's not just that, because I see plenty of tutorials using exactly that plastic. Could it be the old flour?

As I said above, in my experience plastic bags are too thick.  For me stretch-tite works much better.

As with any slack dough practice and speed make a difference. Thinking is your enemy. Watch videos of mamas (grannies) doing it as a ritual rpactice.

did a straight 1:1 maseca : hot water today and switched the ziplocks for shopping bag plastic. Getting the plastic off was a bit easier, but still had some breakages, and literally half the tortillas broke on my way from the hand to the griddle. What the hell is going on?? Is my dough too wet?

14 minutes ago, Hassouni said:

did a straight 1:1 maseca : hot water today and switched the ziplocks for shopping bag plastic. Getting the plastic off was a bit easier, but still had some breakages, and literally half the tortillas broke on my way from the hand to the griddle. What the hell is going on?? Is my dough too wet?

I think we need a "go fund me" to send you to a mamale in Mexico once the borders open or come to LA and I'll take you to one.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 10 months later...

My first ever attempt at flour tortillas...

IMG_3702.jpeg.31f1a87a5cadad7a5fb984b4ea6d0930.jpeg

Looked at 4 recipes online (some of the usual suspects, some not, none from here (sad face)), made dough in a food processor. The dough had a bit of baking powder in it, and home melted pork fat from the other day. My rolling skills have deteriorated significantly since cooking school!

63659800399__0FFE3692-F4E7-423B-9C59-CE07C96088A4.jpeg.aea85e255f7eac4fc031efd3e3526825.jpeg\

But still! (Yes, that is a torn one atop - cook's gotta taste). While light years beyond any prepackaged shit, these were not what anyone would call perfect. Though Significant Eater audibly mmmmmm-ed after loading her first one with carne adovada, @rancho_gordo freshly stewed pinto beans, avocado, yada, yada, yada. All those years in Albuquerque evidently did something to her! I call in the Breaking Bad syndrome.

In any event, these were, how shall I put it, more chewy than I was expecting. Possibly the baking soda, possibly too much lard? Rosie walking around under my feet while trying to roll these out, and enjoying my cursing?

It's time to hit the books and continue trying...these are fun.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 9

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

It's time to hit the books and continue trying...these are fun.

I've used the recipe for Tía Carmen's Flour Tortillas in Josef Centeno's Amá and like the way they come out, though I need to work on getting them properly round 🙃

IMG_2522.thumb.jpeg.1bf498091fb5a10f53ca4ba56f81b6a8.jpeg

Ingredients are:

1 cup all purpose flour

1 T lard or bacon fat

1/2 t baking powder

1/2 t salt

1/2 cup whole milk, warmed

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

As this is not a food I had any appropriate contact with: what is the difference texture wise between pressing the dough in a tortilla press and rolling it out with a rolling pin ?

Well corn tortillas made with masa are a soft dough. No gluten involvement. They are pressed from balls and cooked briefly on a comal or similar. Flour - hello gluten --and added fat and leavening - so think more like your familiar pizza dough. Rolled, stretched, patted, pulled and then onto the comal. A flatbread like a thin naan.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Duvel said:

As this is not a food I had any appropriate contact with: what is the difference texture wise between pressing the dough in a tortilla press and rolling it out with a rolling pin ?

Having tried it I can only say that corn tortillas lack gluten so once you press them they stay  pressed. Not so much flour tortillas!

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Anna N said:

Having tried it I can only say that corn tortillas lack gluten so once you press them they stay  pressed. Not so much flour tortillas!

Oh sorry ... I got the advantages for corn tortillas from a preparation perspective. I was referring to the recent posts on flour tortillas, specifically ...

1 minute ago, Duvel said:

Oh sorry ... I got the advantages for corn tortillas from a preparation perspective. I was referring to the recent posts on flour tortillas, specifically ...

You have lost me. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Anna N said:

You have lost me. 

@weinoo was showing his attempts to make flour tortillas via a tortilla press. @blue_dolphin was showing her results, “complaining” they were not round. 

I was wondering whether there is any advantage (texture wise) of using a press rather than rolling it out, which would allow for adjusting the shape, rather than the one shot approach of a press ...

8 minutes ago, Duvel said:

@weinoo was showing his attempts to make flour tortillas via a tortilla press. @blue_dolphin was showing her results, “complaining” they were not round. 

I was wondering whether there is any advantage (texture wise) of using a press rather than rolling it out, which would allow for adjusting the shape, rather than the one shot approach of a press ...

OK. Thanks but I thought @weinoosaid he was rolling them out. It’s hard to imagine anyone attempting to use a press to make flour tortillas. Although I’m sure it’s been tried because I tried it myself — once!

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I see - thanks ! Again, I have no reference and assumed the press is the “go to” solution. A quick cross check on your favorite search engine shows that flour tortillas are seemingly  preferably prepared by rolling out ...

• Like 1