• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Tortillas at Home

AlainV

I've made tortillas in pans ranging from cheap, thin stainless, to cast iron, to non-stick, and everything in-between (probably, in fact, on basically every piece of cookware I own, now that I think about it). They all work, but only if they are appropriately pre-heated and kept very hot (but not all the way up to high heat—at least on my burner that's too hot).

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

• 3 weeks later...

The husband of a friend with whom I took a class in Mexican cooking made wooden tortilla presses for us all, copying the wooden one our teacher had brought back with her from Mexico. But these ones are lovely! He's a wood worker and couldn't just fasten together a few boards...these are works of art. (Haven't used it yet. :hmmm: )

PB170001.JPG

PB170002.JPG

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

As for finding the dried corn itself, well, I've had to resort to having family members haul back bags of the stuff from Tucson! Steve Sando at Rancho Gordo has tossed around the idea of making it available.... Steve?

Sorry- I missed this. Most Mexican stores will have corn, often in white, morado and sometimes blue.

If you get stuck, you can call us and we can sell you ours. The problem is we don't want to offer it on the web as most people will casually order it thinking it's the same thing as pozole.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

One of the critical variables in creating a perfectly puffed corn tortilla is the temperature of your comal. I imagine that with time, practice and thousands of less-than-perfect tortillas one learns to judge when the comal is ready, but for those of us who didn't grow up in a household where tortillas are being cooked daily there is a shortcut: an infrared thermometer. I used one of these today and made my best tortillas ever. I had the chance recently to speak with Roberto Santibañez about my poor results using his tortilla recipe (in "Truly Mexican", a great cookbook BTW) and he told me that his ideal temperature for the comal is ~575ºF. Using his advice, and a $45 Mastercool thermometer, I'm cranking out perfect tortillas.

Primate Asilvestrado

Solano County, California

Great to see the continued interest in this thread that we started some 8 years age. The kitchen is all changed but the same instructions still apply. Its like directions on how to get to Carnegie Hall - practice, practice, practice.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

I had the chance recently to speak with Roberto Santibañez about my poor results using his tortilla recipe (in "Truly Mexican", a great cookbook BTW) and he told me that his ideal temperature for the comal is ~575ºF. Using his advice, and a $45 Mastercool thermometer, I'm cranking out perfect tortillas.

Very eager to try this out! Thanks for this information. Any advice about the texture of the surface of the comal? I have one very smooth one and another that's rougher.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

The big steel comals that the local tortirillas use are scraped and scrubbed with a pumice griddle/grill stone so they look very slick and polished, not just shiny from the very thin layer of oil which is laid on with a cloth.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I was so inspired by this thread that I went and made some flour tortillas to go with dinner tonight. I followed the recipe in Diana Kennedy's "Essential Cuisines of Mexico" cookbook. I used whole wheat flour, and real lard and cooked them on my cast iron skillet. They were tasty, and the whole family loved them, but they really didn't turn out right. I don't know whether I didn't roll them thin enough or didn't cook them correctly. :rolleyes: Either way, no one here complained!

• 3 weeks later...

danielito, please thank your source for me and my family. I made a few adjustments this round:

a. heated the comal up to around 575F (can't tell exactly bc my Thermapen maxes out at 530F), which was a good bit hotter than my previous attempts;

b. ground the masa to a finer consistency -- really pushed the limits of my UltraPride, in fact -- and kept it a bit wetter than on most previous batches;

c. applied a thin coating of oil for every other tortilla (instead of once at the start); and

d. religiously did the two-flip routine: apply on one side, turn to the second side, back on the first to finish.

And so, for the first time, I consistently got the puff:

puffy tortilla.jpg

Best tortillas ever.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

For those not wanting to invest in the thermometer... the way I determine when the comal is hot enough is that I season it with Peanut Oil... and once the little bits of oil start beading up a little bit.. the comal is hot enough for puffy tortillas.. at that point you start lowering the heat a little bit at a time... also if you hold your hand an inch over the comal you can "feel" the right level of heat radiating once you have the hang of it.

BTW.. I do not grease the comal between tortillas... not needed.. and my comal is actually a crepe pan. Incidentally, I finally mastered making crepes over the weekend :biggrin:

b. ground the masa to a finer consistency -- really pushed the limits of my UltraPride, in fact -- and kept it a bit wetter than on most previous batches;

Not having enough water in the masa seems to be a top failure point, IME. I've only used Maseca though, so I don't have the feel for making it from nixtamal.

c. applied a thin coating of oil for every other tortilla (instead of once at the start); and

I only oil when I'm reheating the tortilla on the griddle.

d. religiously did the two-flip routine: apply on one side, turn to the second side, back on the first to finish.

I've been consistently able to get puffs using a one flip. Masa moisture and comal temp are more important. I will say they didn't seem to puff as dramatically as the two flippers.

OK, a dumb newbie question. How do you keep the freshly made tortillas warm and fresh, for say, throughout the meal? Mine quickly turn to cardboard. I've tried placing them in the oven uncovered as well as wrapped in foil. Neither worked. Help, please.

Tortilla warmer (those little round things designed for the purpose -- not much other utility, but shouldn't cost more than $5 or so), or maybe wrapped in a slightly moist, clean kitchen towel? Or, cook / heat them as you need them, which is how it usually works at our house.

Edited by Will (log)

OK, a dumb newbie question. How do you keep the freshly made tortillas warm and fresh, for say, throughout the meal? Mine quickly turn to cardboard. I've tried placing them in the oven uncovered as well as wrapped in foil. Neither worked. Help, please.

Tortilla warmer (those little round things designed for the purpose -- not much other utility, but shouldn't cost more than $5 or so), or maybe wrapped in a slightly moist, clean kitchen towel? Or, cook / heat them as you need them, which is how it usually works at our house.

Also most hand made tortillas will benefit from steaming in their heat for a few minutes as they become much more pliable after they have been in the warmer. In fact, even in Pre-Hispanic times the most common practice for tortillas was to wrap them in Cotton cloth inside of a Chiquihuite / Xikihuitl (woven natural fiber basket with lid).

My resident expert her says she uses a little oil on a piece of paper towel and swabs the cast iron comal every third or fourth tortilla when they show that they want to stick. Also no thermometer here, just the open hand over the comal until it feels right - it’s hot. Chris - looking good.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.