• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Spelling and, I hope, clarity

8 hours ago, JohnT said:

Thanks Anna and Andie for your replies. I am going to have to do a bit more research on this product before I get into trying to attempt making corn tortillas. I will have a look at some of our maize flours sold here (they are a staple food in our black population). I will get back to you once I have enlightened myself a bit more.

My best friend, who grew up with Mexican food but spent her professional life in Africa (most recently in Capetown) says that she could never find what we think of as corn tortillas in Africa. The masa flavor was missing. We recently had a spirited exchange over what constitutes a "proper" enchilada because I'd made mine with flour tortillas, and to her tastes they didn't have the right flavor. Flour tortillas are similar to the simple flour rounds she could get there, but the masa/corn tortillas have a flavor all their own.

In order to make masa, the corn needs to be treated ("nixtamalized"). The process is discussed in this topic: Making Fresh Masa although the first few posts are so old that the photos are lost.

Smithy

Smithy

5 hours ago, JohnT said:

Thanks Anna and Andie for your replies. I am going to have to do a bit more research on this product before I get into trying to attempt making corn tortillas. I will have a look at some of our maize flours sold here (they are a staple food in our black population). I will get back to you once I have enlightened myself a bit more.

My best friend, who grew up with Mexican food but spent her professional life in Africa (most recently in Capetown) says that she could never find what we think of as corn tortillas in Africa. The masa flavor was missing. We recently had a spirited exchange over what consitutes a "proper" enchilada because I'd made mine with flour tortillas, and to her tastes they didn't have the right flavor. 

In order to make masa, the corn needs to be treated nixtamalized. The process is discussed in this topic: Making Fresh Masa although the first few posts are so old that the photos are lost.