• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Joys of Collecting Fruit Labels

Jensen

By some strange happenstance, I came across this website while looking for something else:

Etichettando: everything about collecting fruit labels. Etichettando is the first and only italian web site on all collecting sides of the fruit labels, a trip from their history to some ways to get, catalogue and trade them, offering moreover a careful iconographic study of the product.

site

It covers everything from the history of fruit labels to the quest to grow a collection to instructions on the cataloguing of fruit labels.

I am gobsmacked (but also a little frightened that my first thought was "Hey! How cool is this?")

Whatever happened to the good old American pastime of simply peeling them off and sticking them on the center of your forehead?

By some strange happenstance, I came across this website while looking for something else:
Etichettando: everything about collecting fruit labels. Etichettando is the first and only italian web site on all collecting sides of the fruit labels, a trip from their history to some ways to get, catalogue and trade them, offering moreover a careful iconographic study of the product.

site

It covers everything from the history of fruit labels to the quest to grow a collection to instructions on the cataloguing of fruit labels.

I am gobsmacked (but also a little frightened that my first thought was "Hey! How cool is this?")

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Whatever happened to the good old American pastime of simply peeling them off and sticking them on the center of your forehead? 

Around here the guys used to stick Chiquita Banana labels on their lunch pail until it was totally covered up.

SB

It was a fruit label that changed my life.

One day I had a granny smith apple for lunch. When I went to wash and eat it, I peeled off the label. For whatever reason, I decided to read it. It said "South Africa", and I thought, "This apple has traveled further than I ever have in my entire life."

And I got really depressed.

Six months later, I quit my job and moved to Asia.

Life's funny.

It was a fruit label that changed my life.

One day I had a granny smith apple for lunch. When I went to wash and eat it, I peeled off the label. For whatever reason, I decided to read it. It said "South Africa", and I thought, "This apple has traveled further than I ever have in my entire life."

And I got really depressed.

Six months later, I quit my job and moved to Asia.

Life's funny.

To say nothing of the fact that Granny Smith had been to South Africa long enough ago to have planted a producing apple tree!

SB :wacko:

This seems like a bizarre anal-retentive hobby. How can I get involved?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

At least a label collection stores easily (unless you collect on your lunch pail or forehead I suppose) - I once read a lengthy article about a man whose passion in life was collecting yoghurt containers. He had had to have a room in his house completely lined with shelves to hold them all. To him, they were things of great beauty - and he made it sound like he had a history of modern packaging design through the ages, not a mere collection of plastic containers.

I dont remember if they were arranged by colour, flavour, country of origin etc.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

One of my standard lunch items is a piece of fruit. I eat my lunch at my desk at work. My desk is full of fruit stickers. I have the edges of the desk completely covered and am now working down one of the sides. I find it to be very festive in an otherwise drab and dreary office.

I'll have to pay attention to those things.  I don't think many of the US ones are as detailed as those in the top 10.  I do, though, have several fruit crate labels, purchased from The Labelman.

I think it would be awesome to wallpaper ones kitchen with these.

One of my standard lunch items is a piece of fruit.  I eat my lunch at my desk at work.  My desk is full of fruit stickers. I have the edges of the desk completely covered and am now working down one of the sides. I find it to be very festive in an otherwise drab and dreary office.

I believe you are now required to post a photo, Mike!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Pretty Lady grapes has one of the nicest labels I've come across out in our warehouse. Scroll down here for picture.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."