• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fat In Braised Meat Dishes

Blondelle

I'm new to this type of cooking and I've only had a few braised dishes. They were delicious, but they all seemed fatty. Is this just the nature of braised meats, as they cook in their own fat? I know the flavor is in the fat, but if one is trying to lose weight should they just avoid meats prepared this way? Any way to reduce some of the fat in the finished dish?

Any way to reduce some of the fat in the finished dish?

Chill after cooking and remove the solid fats which will rise to the surface of the gravy ... to really lose weight, I imagine there are other alternatives ... which add no fats ... like grilling ... :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

And if you're serving the dish later, just let it cool, and you can use a paper towel to collect the fat from the surface, even. Unless you want to save its goodness for something else!!!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Thanks much for the replies, but what about the meat itself without the gravy or sauce. Wouldn't it contain a great deal more fat than meats roasted or grilled, or does a lot of it's fat migrate into the braising liquid?

Wouldn't it contain a great deal more fat than meats roasted or grilled

does a lot of it's fat migrate into the braising liquid?

Two answers:

yes, no doubt ... and yes, hence the need to skim the liquid with care ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Wouldn't it contain a great deal more fat than meats roasted or grilled

does a lot of it's fat migrate into the braising liquid?

Two answers:

yes, no doubt ... and yes, hence the need to skim the liquid with care ...

Absolutely.

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the main reasons braised dishes exist is to make tough or dull cuts of meat more tender or flavorful (witness the older hens or capons traditionally used in coq au vin, or braised short ribs). Therefore, unlike in grilling or roasting, the entire goal is to use the fat (and stock, wine, herbs, etc.) to flavor and tenderize the meat.

Therefore, yes, there will be and should be more fat in something braised than in something roasted on a spit, say.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I've braised plenty. Believe me. And, if you braise for long enough, low and slow enough, the fat will render out. Every bit of fat and connective tissue will just dissolve. And, I also believe from experience that a braise is best done the day before. Liquid removed. Meat stored in a ziplock (with all of the air sucked out). Liquid in a separate container, and that hard layer of fat removed before you add the meat back to the liquid and gently reheat in the oven (thanks to Paula Wolfert for teaching me that trick!).

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I wouldn't say there is more fat in braised meats than in roasted or grilled. I think, first of all, that it depends on the cuts of meat you're using. Nicely marbled steak goes on the grill, and much of the fat remains in the steak. Tough, less fatty meat can go in a slow cooker and come out soft and flavourful - not picking up any fat as it cooks.

I actually think that more fat is rendered out of the meat as you cook it in a braise - but because of the long, slow cooking (as snowangel pointed out) and the breaking down of the tissues, the braised meat will have a mouth-feel that is ... silkier than grilled or roasted. So in my mind, it seems richer and fattier, but in fact more of the fat is removed from the meat during the cooking process.

Even pieces of meat that can start off with very little fat (not no fat - just little fat) can achieve that 'fatty/silky' feel when it's cooked long and slow enough.

Of course, as many have pointed out, chilling and defatting will remove lots of the fat. So I'm not sure why it would have more fat.