• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Slow Food Master Italian Cooking

Hi all,

I am new to the eGullet site and noticed that Ore's posts about his experiences in Jesi, Italy during the Slow Food Master Italian Cooking Program generated much interest and enthusiasm.

I too have completed the program, and have just returned from Jesi. I kept a journal of my time there. Until I figure out how to transfer my livejournal to eGullet you may view my journal at:

Slow Food Master Italian Cooking Journal

Ciao!

Most people throw this away; we eat it!--Chef Peppe Zullo
Edited by Mark Antsel (log)

Ciao Hathor,

Thanks for viewing my journal. I am not currently at a stage, but I plan to return in June '07 for two months, perhaps to Sicily and Emilia-Romagna.

I hope my journal brings back fond memories of Jesi for you!

Thanks for posting this, I have been thinking of taking some courses at ICIF in Costigliole but my schedule won't allow the time (not to mention my budget) and since I am not looking for a career in the restaurant business (been there done that) and I am at that funny old age where I would probably feel a little uncomfortable in a class full of 20 year olds.... "Oh look a dinosaur with a toque!" or "Aren't you a little old to be trusted with sharp objects grandpa?"

So, I have been spending time in the kitchens of my Italian friends and their mothers. It is surprising what you can learn from them. Not exactly something one could put on a CV but I would have to say it is almost as interesting as a cooking school.

Still, those diaries look so inviting!

Mark, the link to journal is coming up as invalid. If you posted it from Italy, lord only knows whats up with it!!  :shock:  :wacko:

Hathor:

I tried the direct link from my post above--it works from here. But here is the actual URL:

http://chef_in_italy.livejournal.com/

By the way, I am fifty years old. I felt very comfortable in the class. Here is the age breakdown of our class:

I was usually the first person to reach the top of all the steep streets in Jesi, leaving the "younger" students to toddle behind me.

Mark, the link to journal is coming up as invalid. If you posted it from Italy, lord only knows whats up with it!!  :shock:  :wacko:

Hathor:

I tried the direct link from my post above--it works from here. But here is the actual URL:

I've tried the link a few different ways, including copy and paste, and I get an error that says Invalid URL. Must be because I'm in Italy!! :wacko:

Our group was much younger...mostly in their early 20's...but I still beat them up the stairs. Most days! :cool:

Hathor:

I've tried the link a few different ways, including copy and paste, and I get an error that says Invalid URL. Must be because I'm in Italy!! :wacko:

Our group was much younger...mostly in their early 20's...but I still beat them up the stairs. Most days! :cool:

No problem getting on the link from Toscana

I go to Jesi often for work and whilst you're there I highly recommend checking out the restaurant Chichibio. There are very few restaurants in Jesi considering the size of the town, most are in the outskirts and hard to find if you don’t know your way around. However you hardly need them with Chichibio! The menu varies often according to the season. The grilled meats are particularly good, as is the fish. The wine list is extremely comprehensive and includes lots of local wines as well as national and international wines. Desserts are extremely well presented and absolutely delicious!

There are some very good local wines in Jesi also. The most famous white wine is Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi.

A superb (and also very ancient) red wine is Lacrima di Moro D'Alba.

I strongly recommend trying both of these wines. There is an absolutely superb enoteca regionale in the old quarters in Jesi. It is a little tricky to find but it is unbelievably well stocked with very friendly and helpful staff. As well as wines there are also other local products such as olive oil, preserves, and local specialities (such as saba).

Next time I'm down I'll have to check out Gatto Matto - thanks for the tip Hathor!

My wife and I just enrolled for the 1 week course of Summer Menus beginning July 31 and are looking forward to it.

Any recommendations for places to stay nearby?

There is a Hostel that is about a 15 minute walk from the school. Check with the school, too; they may have suggestions for a B&B or even be able to accommodate you in one of the Ital.Cook. apartments. The closest hotel is the Hotel Mariani (a 7 walk to the school): http://www.hotelmariani.com

You'll love the school and Jesi, too. Be sure to try the gelati at Bar Trieste near the train station.

My wife and I just enrolled for the 1 week course of Summer Menus beginning July 31 and are looking forward to it.

Any recommendations for places to stay nearby?

There is a Hostel that is about a 15 minute walk from the school. Check with the school, too; they may have suggestions for a B&B or even be able to accommodate you in one of the Ital.Cook. apartments. The closest hotel is the Hotel Mariani (a 7 walk to the school): http://www.hotelmariani.com

You'll love the school and Jesi, too. Be sure to try the gelati at Bar Trieste near the train station.

Thanks - will do.

I saw there were a couple of Michellin starred restaurants nearby on the Adriatic - Madonnina del Pescatore and Uliassi. Has anyone tried these?