• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

where to find cake flour in NJ?

that's odd...pretty much all of them around here do. i can't remember the brand that i ususally see (i feel like it's "__ flake", but it comes in a box (about the size of a cereal box) rather than the paper sacks that flour ususally comes in.

you can also compensate by adding cornstarch to all-purpose flour. one cup sifted cake flour = 3/4 cup sifted bleached all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch.

I promise you that your local supermarket has it, Zoe--but look UP on the shelves! As pnapoli said, it's in a box that's the size of a box of pancake mix (not that anyone on eG would know what those look like...) :biggrin: In my local Shop Rite, t's usually on the shelves above the boxed cake mixes, and the brand is Swan, iirc.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

no way! really, it's in a box?--jeez... I feel really dumb--i think of myself as a good shelf scourer, but apparently not.

But you're right, I wouldn't think to look by mixes--since I only go there for emergency brownie mix

"one cup sifted cake flour = 3/4 cup sifted bleached all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch."

that's helpful--I think Joy suggests 1 cup all-purpose minus some number of tbls to sub--but I always blame the fact that my cakes are not terribly airy on not having cake flour--we'll have to see once i find this cake flour--thanks for the info!

Zoe, don't feel dumb--I know exactly what a box of cake flour looks like, and they definitely didn't have it in my A&P the last time I was looking for it (correction: they carry self-rising cake flour, which you don't want unless your recipe calls for it, and most don't).

If you want to go high end and out of your way, you can find King Arthur cake flour at Chef Central.

Susan

thanks, Susan--and you're right--my A&P didn't have it yesterday either- but it's crap for baking supplies, generally, in my opinion.

I forgot to look at Shop Rite--but will be hitting it Mon or Tues.

Z

--but look UP on the shelves!... In my local Shop Rite, t's usually on the shelves above the boxed cake mixes....

You might want to look down as well. Yesterday, when I went to Foodtown, I was in the aisle getting some baking necessities and noticed that they had Softasilk on the bottom shelf.