• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hell's Kitchen U.S. Season 2

hungryCAT

anyone know where heather actually cooked in new york>

She had been cooking for about the last year at Almondito restaurant (and Almond, their sister restaurant) in Wainscott/East Hampton, NY - Mexican fare. Not too long after taping of the show ended (but after a HK film crew did some taping at the restaurant) she quit to take the summer off...

Virginia I think Gordon is going to keep for himself. She's a naive kid but has a superior palate, and I think with the right training she could eventually end up running one of his restaurants for him.

So, "Baby Huey" Keith was right about what he told Ramsay when he handed over his jacket and got bleeped?

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

Yeah, I've known many executive chefs who didn't spend much time on the line (which probably includes GR nowadays), while they were in that position anyway. So, Virginia just comes up with the dishes and a capable crew is hired to carry them out while she hangs out in the dining room (hey, sorta like Rocco in The Restaurant!)...

But Virginia is such a nut-job. Her mixed metaphors ("...a new skin on life...", "...put that gas in my tank...", etc.) in her confessionals were quease-inducing.

This season makes season one seem like it was much better. I'd rather watch Michael and Ralph go at it again than these two...

Yeah, I've known many executive chefs who didn't spend much time on the line (which probably includes GR nowadays), while they were in that position anyway. So, Virginia just comes up with the dishes and a capable crew is hired to carry them out while she hangs out in the dining room (hey, sorta like Rocco in The Restaurant!)...

But Virginia is such a nut-job. Her mixed metaphors ("...a new skin on life...", "...put that gas in my tank...", etc.) in her confessionals were quease-inducing.

This season makes season one seem like it was much better. I'd rather watch Michael and Ralph go at it again than these two...

Are you f-ing kidding me?, television wise this season kicked ass, way more wack jobs, unfortunately no one praying to gordon at night, but alot more decent cooks. I was looking forward to some more diversity in cooking styles, I knock them for that, especially Heather and Keith, maybe next season.

Firstly, though slightly unwarranted, a big HEY-YO! to Keith for stepping up to Gordon during the elimination. I don't think Gordon saw that one coming; normally he'd tell someone to shove it or shut up or something. Fantastic!

Please, you gotta be kidding me! Stepping up to him? Shooting off his fat ignorant ten year old yap like that? If he's got half a brain (and clearly, they don't share even half between the three of them), he should realize that a) his comment about Virginia was juvenile and way wide of the mark, Ramsay has steered clear of Virginia and any impropriety, and b) at some point he may have to work - like hold a real job - in the restaurant industry. Who's going to hire this obese dolt who doesn't know the meaning of self filtering?

I seriously DO NOT understand this show, though. Virginia is a certified nut-job. She's been on the block, what, six times now? And each time she says the same thing, basically: I want this, I won't let you down (please), I'm willing to learn.

I have never yet heard ANY of them say anything intellgent when asked why they should stay. Not once. "I want to learn!" "I have to show you what I've got" "Give me a chance to show you what I'm made of". What a load of codswallop. How Ramsey stops himself from bursting out laughing is beyond me.

Virginia I think Gordon is going to keep for himself. She's a naive kid but has a superior palate, and I think with the right training she could eventually end up running one of his restaurants for him.

If I recall correctly, she was one of the only ones who didn't smoke - or at least I never saw her smoke - that alone could account for the ability to taste food. The fact that she nailed his dish either says she has a great palate or that she saw the recipe in his book - that would require reading, however. I wonder how long she'd last at Chez Gordon.

If I recall correctly, she was one of the only ones who didn't smoke - or at least I never saw her smoke - that alone could account for the ability to taste food. The fact that she nailed his dish either says she has a great palate or that she saw the recipe in his book - that would require reading, however. I wonder how long she'd last at Chez Gordon.

"Smoking" affecting the palate????

I would challenge your theory with one word:BOURDAIN!

:wink:

Really--

I think the whole show is not about finding a person who can "cook" the best.

It is not about finding the best line cook under pressure.

It is a search for someone who can oversee a restaurant. Manage people. Understand customers and what food they will respond to. Someone who has some intangibles that translate into a successful restaurant operator.

Not someone who can turn out large numbers of attractive plates of complicated dishes with no variation in quality under extreme pressure. Or someone who can perfectly cook a piece of salmon a hundred times a night amid unimaginable chaos.

As admirable as these skills are--they are not what this show is about.

To get there. The idea is Ramsey tries to find not a superb line cook but someone who can do what he does.

Someone he can "whip" into shape (sometimes literally). Someone who has the innate talents he feels are critical.

All the contestants have flaws--that is the challenge--what makes a good story.

I would suggest that Keith was doomed back in the episode where Gordon warned him about displaying his "crack" to table seven and he continued to play the role of complete slob. That was two strikes--the first for being slobby the second for being so arrogant as to be unwilling to take a strong hint and change.

This show wants to point up how contestants who "get it" re Gordon's advice and cajoling and can overcome their own arrogance and shortcomings.

In this area it is Virginia who despite some pretty intense flaws has shown she really gets it and wants to improve. She was/is the least arrogant and self assured of the bunch.

But she has some very important attributes--she has a very good palate. She seems to be understanding Gordon's approach to food. She is attractive and knows how to use that to her benefit. She is creative--her dishes are mostly winners in creativity and most important they sell--the public (not just Gordon) likes them.

Heather has many positive attributes but her arrogance and cockiness are still in the way-hindering her progress.

She spent too much time grousing about how Virginia bought Gordon's cook book (as flirting) and when Virginia bested heather and Keith in recreating Gordon's dish--Heather still didn't get it complaining Virginia must have read the recipe!

really, it is Virginia who has developed/evolved the most over the course of the show.

I think the fact that she was on the block so much and just continued to persevere is something Gordon really admires in her.

Heather is still pretty much the same person.

So the finale will be very interesting.

I believe the last test plays to Virginia's talents more than Heather's.

Virginia has an edge in understanding what the public likes in food and should design a popular menu/dishes that sell.

Virginia is going to have to overcome her insecurities and run her kitchen and manage people effectively though.

Heather will have to lose her belief that she deserves to win because she is a better cook and needs to conceptualize and execute a popular menu.

She has an edge in that while not unflappable--she is stronger than Virginia. Will she go overboard in pushing her team to aggressively? Will Virginia suck it up and run her kitchen effectively?

That's the fun in all this.

It is reality TV after all!!!!

now

About those dancers on "so you think you can dance..."

He smokes like a chimney and eats everything in sight, but you can't ever convince me that smoking doesn't destroy at least part of your olfactory system - JAMA says so! It's one of the reasons that people gain weight when they quit, they say they can finally taste what their eating. Anyway.....

Really--

I think the whole show is not about finding a person who can "cook" the best.

It is not about finding the best line cook under pressure.

It is a search for someone who can oversee a restaurant. Manage people. Understand customers and what food they will respond to. Someone who has some intangibles that translate into a successful restaurant operator.

Well, the show is in trouble! None of the contestants seem to be at all empathetic with their patrons, sending out half cooked spaghetti to famous chefs? Rubbing red sauce on overcooked lamb so Ramsay might be fooled into thinking it was rare? Also none of them are self-aware enough to be humble and contrite when they need to be, they've all been bellowing ego but I haven't seen one bit of humility, save Virginia when she declared she really didn't belong there. She at least has some cognizance of her own qualifications.

To get there. The idea is Ramsey tries to find not a superb line cook but someone who can do what he does.

Someone he can "whip" into shape (sometimes literally). Someone who has the innate talents he feels are critical.

Nail on the head - innate talents - if indeed Virgina nailed his dish just by tasting, then he might be able to whip her into shape. But damn, she's got some growing up to do.

All the contestants have flaws--that is the challenge--what makes a good story. I would suggest that Keith was doomed back in the episode where Gordon warned him about displaying his "crack" to table seven and he continued to play the role of complete slob. That was two strikes--the first for being slobby the second for being so arrogant as to be unwilling to take a strong hint and change.

What person past the age of ten would show up at your possible future place of employment with pants hanging off his ass and a baseball cap sideways? There's Gordo, looking all classy and spiffy in his jeans and leather jacket, and then there's "K-Grease" (the fact that he named himself that speaks volumes), looking like a severely overgrown, mentally challenged child.....the word 'professional' isn't in his vocabulary, but that's the way he 'rocks it'....

Heather has many positive attributes but her arrogance and cockiness are still in the way-hindering her progress.

She spent too much time grousing about how Virginia bought Gordon's cook book (as flirting) and when Virginia bested heather and Keith in recreating Gordon's dish--Heather still didn't get it complaining Virginia must have read the recipe!

Heather might be able to haul ass and get stuff out, but her bipolar mood swings are scary, one minute barking and bossing and the next sobbing like a baby because the construction workers thought she was 'worst'. It's just a damn chicken sandwich with fries! Get over it....

really, it is Virginia who has developed/evolved the most over the course of the show.

I think the fact that she was on the block so much and just continued to persevere is something Gordon really admires in her.

I laughed out loud when it came down to either eliminating herself or Sara- Sara thought she was going to fall on her sword, but noooooooooo......good for her for not being vindictive when she could have been, and for not giving up the opportunity when she had the chance. Sara had to go, evil wench!

Virginia is going to have to overcome her insecurities and run her kitchen and manage people effectively though.

I think she needs confidence in her skills and her work ethic, but should Ramsay offer her an internship, that will either make her or break her.

That's the fun in all this.

It is reality TV after all!!!!

Sanitized and scripted for your viewing pleasure!

Edited by Heidi the Pilgrim (log)

Please, you gotta be kidding me!  Stepping up to him? Shooting off his fat ignorant ten year old yap like that?  If he's got half a brain (and clearly, they don't share even half between the three of them), he should realize that a) his comment about Virginia was juvenile and way wide of the mark, Ramsay has steered clear of Virginia and any impropriety, and b) at some point he may have to work - like hold a real job - in the restaurant industry.  Who's going to hire this obese dolt who doesn't know the meaning of self filtering?

reposted from above...

This from Eater.com ..........

SPOILER ALERT

Eater has learned that Keith Greene, the favorite to win Gordon Ramsay's Hell's Kitchen, will take a dive on the the show's two-hour finale next week (airs Monday). This, so that he can stay in New York and take over Non-Frenchman Ed Kleefield's UWS canteen, Jean Luc (previously announced as closed for summer renovations). Greene will turn the venue into a Cajun-themed restaurant, ostensibly in the style of Kleefield's Mumbo Gumbo, just opened in Sag Harbor. The opening of the new restaurant is slated for September.

Heidi-

I rather like your take on things.

I think we agree for the most part.

first--

The smoking thing--I believe there is not a lot of evidence that smoking has a negative impact on the palate. To the contrary, somewhere I read there is evidence that people and their tastebuds actually "adjust." many respected chefs and gourmands smoke.

As for predicting a winner.

It is Heather that is likely to be offered a shot at working in one of Gordon's kitchens

She has potential to be a good chef--running a kitchen.

I think she is already a sous chef somewhere professionally.

She could do a good job running a kitchen.

I think she has a long way to go to running a restaurant.

which is why

I believe Virginia has the best shot at winning this thing.

She is simply too good in the intangibles areas.

My money is on her to create the better and more popular menu and decor.

(last season Ralph clearly won out on these points)

She has the focus and savvy to master the quality control at the pass.

however--

She needs muster the self assuredness to run her kitchen and get the food out.

(no small task for her--if she fails here Heather wins)

so

Virginia wins

(the story arc is talented but self doubting girl with minimal technique/kitchen skills a true dark horse-- learns enough from the master to make the most of her intuitiveness and desire to serve good food to persevere and triumph!

Heather with good skills and the fiery temperament gets a job as a sous chef in one of Gordon's kitchens where she will hopefully learn that in addition to being a good line cook and getting food cooked under pressure ---a good chef has to be concerned about the quality of the food and aware of his or her customers.

In the end everyone wins!

(then again I could be wrong)!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnL,Aug 10 2006, 02:31 PM]

Heidi-

first--

The smoking thing--I believe there is not a lot of evidence that smoking has a negative impact on the palate. To the contrary, somewhere I read there is evidence that people and their tastebuds actually "adjust." many respected chefs and gourmands smoke.

Dang it, I knew I should have just posted the link

JAMA Smoking effects on olfactory

What that says is that smokers are twice as likely to experience olfactory deficits as nonsmokers, but that it's reversible proportionate to the length of time since they've stopped. Their taste buds "adjust", because they're damaged. I should preface this by saying I'm highly allergic to smoke, so the slightest whiff of it closes my nose and throat. That said, I can't imagine how anyone who is a chef, for a living, respected or not, can smoke and still think he can taste what he's serving - I don't buy it. I think anyone who's smoked and quit will tell you that they taste more and need less salt on their food. And having seen the PSA's showing an autopsy of a 32 yo smoker having plaque squeezed like cheese from his aorta is enough to make me believe if it can do THAT to your insides, what it does to your mouth and nose can be no better.

I digress....

As for predicting a winner.

It is Heather that is likely to be offered a shot at working in one of Gordon's kitchens

She has potential to be a good chef--running a kitchen.

I think she is already a sous chef somewhere professionally.

She could do a good job running a kitchen.

I think she has a long way to go to running a restaurant.

which is why

I believe Virginia has the best shot at winning this thing.

She is simply too good in the intangibles areas.

I think Virginia's palate will win over Heather's competence - discerning taste is not something anyone can teach. And let's remember, none of them could discern spray cheese! My god, the salt alone in that will burn your tongue off.

Really--

Yes, smoking does affect the palate via the olfactory senses. It dulls one's tastebuds worse than over-sugaring.

However, the only reason Anthony Bourdain is able to smoke AND have an exceptional plate is because Anthony Bourdain is The Devil.

Ha ha. I jest. The Devil would not take up 100% of his time being a culinary wizard; that's just silly.

He only spends 50% of his time being Anthony Bourdian. The other 50% is spent being Jimmy Page.

Notice you've never seen the two of them in the same room together.....

I rest my case.... :wink:

Heidi-

first--

I'm guessing you're a smoker? ;)

It's rather common knowledge that smoking does indeed affect the palate, which is heavily evidenced by the link Heidi posted. Just because many great chefs (and great eaters, a la Bourdain) smoke, doesn't mean anything. It just means they're chefs, and they smoke. I'm sure there are great golfers that drink (John Daly for one), but I think it's pretty clear that getting hammered might not be the best thing for your golf game.

shh!

Seriously what are you trying to do, give more waistoids jobs as reality t.v. stars.

Nah, I get your point, there was a whole lot they could have done differently, like the "tests" come immediately to mind, Keith was the only one who was really tested, since the other two must have known they would have to be on their toes after that. The whole way that was done sucked. Really the whole working the pass thing is contrived anyway so it's about all that really could be done to "test" their skill there anyway. I don't remember this episode in the last season to have a comparison.

Not to mention that Keith's & Heather's tests were much more tricky and subtle and involved more than one sense and decision making. You had to taste the food and decide if it was up to snuff and whether to send it out or not. Virginia just had to realize that she didn't have a salmon for a table. Completely visual and had nothing to do with determining quality.

Firstly, though slightly unwarranted, a big HEY-YO! to Keith for stepping up to Gordon during the elimination. I don't think Gordon saw that one coming; normally he'd tell someone to shove it or shut up or something. Fantastic!

Please, you gotta be kidding me! Stepping up to him? Shooting off his fat ignorant ten year old yap like that? If he's got half a brain (and clearly, they don't share even half between the three of them), he should realize that a) his comment about Virginia was juvenile and way wide of the mark, Ramsay has steered clear of Virginia and any impropriety, and b) at some point he may have to work - like hold a real job - in the restaurant industry. Who's going to hire this obese dolt who doesn't know the meaning of self filtering?

Oh, dont get me wrong -- I wouldnt have hired him either, nor do I think his remark was very well worded.

However -- no one ever really fires back at Ramsay, given all his bravado, and just to see him shellshocked -- once -- was worth watching the rest of the episode for.

Forgive my lack of apostrophes in this post, but for some reason, hitting the apostrophe makes the Find feature come up on this computer.

Oh, dont get me wrong -- I wouldnt have hired him either, nor do I think his remark was very well worded.

However -- no one ever really fires back at Ramsay, given all his bravado, and just to see him shellshocked -- once -- was worth watching the rest of the episode for.

Forgive my lack of apostrophes in this post, but for some reason, hitting the apostrophe makes the Find feature come up on this computer.

I was waiting for him to retort back with "Yeah... well... Your a plank!"

Edited by Shalmanese (log)

PS: I am a guy.

I don't think he was shellshocked thinking someone stood up to him (and I fully believe that Ramsay wouldn't respect anyone who didn't have the cojones to stand up to him) as much as he was totally gobsmacked at the stupidity and childishness of the comments from such a loser - when he said "you've just confirmed that I made the correct decision", to me that pretty much said what he was thinking. I give Ramsay a lot of credit, he was extremely restrained in his criticism of Keith, when he could have been downright lethal - and Keith could have used a good arse-kicking.

Not to mention that Keith's & Heather's tests were much more tricky and subtle and involved more than one sense and decision making. You had to taste the food and decide if it was up to snuff and whether to send it out or not. Virginia just had to realize that she didn't have a salmon for a table. Completely visual and had nothing to do with determining quality.

And he probably gave her her "test" on the first ticket, so she wouldn't have to worry too much. J/K I have no idea, just really wouldn't have liked to be in her shoes where she probably doesn't know what overcooked pasta is, or crappy mashed potatoes, and has to stand up there and taste everything, "yeah, this is good?".

Heather it is!

Wasn't expecting the 3 month time warp to what I assume is something close to today? They did a great job keepin' that one under wraps! From the video - we are led to believe she will be running "T-Bones Chophouse" -- one of the premiere properties. That can't be right.

Congrats to her -- my very humble opinion is that it was the proper choice.

Edit: Robert --- she worked the line in a NYC kitchen for quite some time. It isn't like she hasn't cooked before. Your comment isn't warranted... yet.

Edited by Bueno (log)