• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hell's Kitchen U.S. Season 2

hungryCAT

After poking around the Red Rock website, it seems to me they are going to need a number of chefs. The place has 9 restaurants and then additional seven fast food outlets on site. I think I may have answered my own questions, but the site and the restaurants are interesting. Some like the BBQ and Mexican already name the chefs that will head them as per a press release about the dining available. I am assuming Ramsey's will be the Chop house - anyone have any other thoughts?

http://www.redrocklasvegas.com/index.php

Edited by Kayakado (log)

RE: the lady flipping food over.

Does anyone remember the scene from last season when a table of irate guests got up to leave, and one tart du jour poured her entire glass of red wine on the table?

Methinks these folks know full well what they're getting into, and are most likely coaxed into doing crazy shit (i.e. bitching at Gordon, flipping food over, etc.) in order to be on television and really hit home the "drama," if one can call it that.

Like going to Gordon and complaining, versus going to Jean-Phillipe, is going to get you dinner any faster. Spare me.

The customers have to be being egged on (camera guy - "Yeah, sure, go complain to Gordo!"). Not a once has a customer come up to the pass on The F Word when their food is taking way too long, or been unpolite (by American standards ;P) to JP. Or maybe it's a British vs. American culture thing...

ah.  Have never watched the Apprentice.  Reality + food was the incentive for me watching this show.  Generally I don't care much for reality TV so perhaps this is typical of the genre.

***OK, I also don't have time to read the entire board but must comment on The Apprentrice versus HK (which I LOVE).

The potential apprentices come to the show with CREDENTIALS. They all seem to be either extremely well-educated and successful OR 'learn by the seat of your pants' and STILL extremely successful.

In HK..who the hell are these people? A bartender? A prison chef? Some are semi-literate. Most don't seem to know how to cook. The show would be SO much better, in my opinion, if it was structured with competing cooks with the ability to actually prepare a meal.

I love GR as he brings energy, personality and balls to the show. What to the others contribute other than weeks of incompetence?

OK, bit harsh but that's my take.

Most (all?) of the contestants this year have culinary work experience. Keith is a bartender and a chef (or cook more likely). Schweaty Tom went to culinary school. Cafeteria chef. Sous chef. Salad chef. And so on.

salad chef??? oh pantry.

eta: yesssssssssss  :raz:

You and me both. :biggrin:

Now I just want to beat Heather up. She tells Virginia to her face that she intimidates her with her creativity and great ideas with food, then behind her back tells everyone else she only does well because she shakes her ass. What the fuck!?! Which is it Heather? The girl can cook or she's pretty and you're jealous? Heather you dumb childish bitch, grow up. :hmmm:

How fun it'll be for any female to work for Heather when she wins her restaurant (and she will win.... ) God help them if they do well. Who will Heather blame then, if she's the boss?

Edited by Sugarella (log)

What did Garett do time for? I heard him mention it but wasn't really paying attention.

Some kinda assault, he wasn't specific, but he was also referring to juvy when he mentioned it, I think if he was a prison chef he was involved in something at another time as well he didn't want to talk about.

Good for Virginia, sent that bitch packing! Heather is so disfunctional it's not really funny anymore, seems like she is making a case for some serious psyciatric medication if she doesn't win. Heather or Keith, who gets sent packing next week for the "suprise" ending to the "most explosive" episode where one of the contestants tells chef off. After tonight, I'm guessing Keith. Maybe Virginia could tell chef off but that wouldn't be a suprise if took her jacket, Heather might snap and tell him off she's so manic, and Keith doesn't really respect anybody so. . .

Back-stabbing and two-faced-ness in restaurants? No way!

That was NOT my point. :hmmm:

Women these days shouldn't still have to work twice as hard but we do. Incredulously, that's not all mens' fault. If those comments came from a man I'd expect it..... from a woman it's just pathetic.

Pretty people get treated differently from day one so they respond differently from day one. They do better in general and that's a proven fact. That's all well and good and it's human nature, but beauty has NOTHING to do with capability for success. If she's good on the creative side, then go ahead and say she's good on the creative side and be done with it. Heather saying Virginia's success is based on ass shaking is just stupid.

Gordon Ramsey is NOT going to give Virginia a restaurant because she has big tits. In fact, that's probably the only reason she's still on TV, from what I've seen. But I'll still give her the credit to say she is one damn creative chef when left to her own devices. I'd hire her. Not as exec chef, mind, but I'd hire her.

Sara has left the building!! :raz::biggrin:

I had to laugh at her closing remark, something to the effect of,

"I guess I'm not cut out for great things" waaah, waaah - Maybe try keeping your

trap shut next time around!!

Then there's Virginia - OMG, if she wins this thing, I will have a cow.

There's no way she can run a restaurant.

Sara has left the building!!  :raz:   :biggrin:

I had to laugh at her closing remark, something to the effect of,

"I guess I'm not cut out for great things" waaah, waaah - Maybe try keeping your

trap shut next time around!!

Then there's Virginia - OMG, if she wins this thing, I will have a cow.

There's no way she can run a restaurant.

There's a small part of me that disagrees. I think by admitting that she would not be able to walk in and take over, Virginia made herself a little stronger by proving that she understands the enormity of it. Everyone else has screamed, "I'm here and I'm ready!", whether they are or not.

She may have just showed that she at least grasps the concept that she has a lot to learn. I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up going in her favor. It's been said here before that being a decent line cook does not make you an executive chef. She just showed that she knows that.

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I think Gordon is fed up with Virginia to the point of exasperation! Her tits don't appear big to me but I do think she looks sexy when her hair is down. Heather is looking more and more like the winner and I'm sorry to say but everytime there is a close-up of Keith's face I am reminded of the Troll/son/hero from The Goonies.

When you heard which dishes they were going to serve the construction workers for lunch, who did you think was going to win?

When you heard which dishes they were going to serve the construction workers for lunch, who did you think was going to win?

I would have to say I said Virginia, with Heather a close second, right and way wrong.

Was anyone as offened as I was by Gordon's ranting last night, I think he is losing it? The fat cow remarks were just stumbling over each other to get out of his mouth.

Everytime I think Virginia might come through during service she flashes back to her Candice California, and I, as Gordon last night, lose all respect for her only to fully regain it later when she kicks the cow to the curb. It's really a vicious love hate cycle with me. I do give her credit for her creativity and believe she has a nicer asthetic, which does give her a wild card. Micheal last time wasn't up against that, so he jsut Keithed/Harolded his way to a win. I can't say what's more important as a chef, but I value creativity more than grit. I think grit can be taught, creativity gets learned.

Did anyone else laugh when Viginia told Gordon she wanted "the big knife." at Sur La Table?

She didn't know what a cleaver was.  :rolleyes:

I didn't laugh. I cringed.

I do think the gag gifts were brilliant. Remind the competition of their failures. In the competitive spirit of the show, it was a smart move.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.