• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hell's Kitchen U.S. Season 2

hungryCAT

Well, finally someone stood up to Ramsay -- I've just got such damn mixed feelings about it...

A customer walked up the the pass to ask about her order, obviously pretty pissed off about it being late... Now, I don't know what the arrangements are at this "restaurant" -- surely people are aware of the circumstances under which it operates -- and people have walked out before, but I've not noticed anyone personally walking up to complain. Well, the customer referred to Ramsay and Mr. Ramsay, so she obviously knew who he was. Ramsay didn't completely ignore her, he just told her he was busy. But she persisted. And she leaned on the counter.

So, in good style Ramsay told her to get her boobs off his pass, and when that had no effect, he asked her how he was supposed to prepare food on it, when she had her tits on it. So she took a dinner plate and turned it upside down on its serving plate. And then she just flipped another plate or two off the counter and onto the floor of the kitchen.

I'm so torn about that. On one hand, I'm thinking well there you fucking go, "big boy," being a complete prick sometimes bites ya in the arse, uh? But on the other hand I'm thinking, what a fucking bitch -- you just took someone else's dinner and threw it on the floor, and now they've gotta wait because of you.

Part of me also thought, the bitch was interfering with someone's livelyhood here (I mean, if it had been a real restaurant) -- you have the right to not bring your service here, and to tell everyone you know what a crap place it is, yeah -- you have the right to utilize your right to free speech and picket the restaurant from public property, or start a web page, and utterly ruin their livelyhood, but to physically interfere by doing that, that's different. To sabotage someone in the act of carrying out their duties, that's different.

How would that work in a real restaurant? I'm guessing you'd just take it and move on, but I'd like to know...

I was halfway wondering if Ramsay might jump over the counter and bitchslap her, or drag her out of the place by her collar, like he did with his line cooks. It almost made me feel sorry for the prick, to see him stand there and just call for security, like all impotent; all bark and no bite.

The whole tits on the hot plate thing was a riot. I'm sure the "customers" are aware of what they are getting into, and I thought that woman was out of line and feeling particularly entitled. I've never worked in a kitchen with a physical layout like that, we didn't call it a "line" for nothing. they all work like my dreams used to be when I worked as a cook. In slow motion, can't fire anything, can't get anything plated, tickets piling up, nothing moving forward. Those dreams were more exhausting than the actual turmoil that caused them. Keith might please Ramsay with his food, but he acts and looks like Shrek. Out of all the characters on this show, Ralph was the only one who I can picture actually running a kitchen as if it were his own, and he was truly in charge. And I'm so sick of Heather's pouty little game face. Rachel had the same expression. I'd like to see it come down to Keith and Virginia, but I don't think either of them has what it takes to do what Ramsay does, which is to drive the bus.

Everyone in the place knows it's a TV show. I've seen girls go up to Ramsey at the counter before.

I think it's simply a case of a hopeful actress looking to get exposure. ANY exposure.

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

From a TV industry newsletter:

FOX has ordered up third seasons of So You Think You Can Dance? and Hell's Kitchen, as both shows have seen surges in key demos over last summer. So You Think You Can Dance? is up 19% among A18-49 over last summer's Wednesday/Thursday average. Hell's Kitchen is up by 16% in the same adult demo year to year.

And regarding Gordon not smacking the "you've got your tits on my hotlplate" girl:

a. It was mentioned in passing on the show that all participants have to sign a contract that includes a clause stating that they won't get physical with anyone else on the show

b. I'm 99% sure that anyone who eats in the restaurant does it for free so whoever espoused the "desperate actress" theory is likely right-on.

FOX has ordered up third seasons of So You Think You Can Dance? and Hell's Kitchen, as both shows have seen surges in key demos over last summer. So You Think You Can Dance? is up 19% among A18-49 over last summer's Wednesday/Thursday average. Hell's Kitchen is up by 16% in the same adult demo year to year.

And regarding Gordon not smacking the "you've got your tits on my hotlplate" girl:

a.  It was mentioned in passing on the show that all participants have to sign a contract that includes a clause stating that they won't get physical with anyone else on the show

b.  I'm 99% sure that anyone who eats in the restaurant does it for free so whoever espoused the "desperate actress" theory is likely right-on.

you don't think the whole thing was just a complete setup? written out, scripted? that that woman, when she came into the restaurant was told, "ok tonight you're the irate 'customer,' get up there and yell at ramsay, and trash a few things when he responds rudely"?

i mean, come on, it's all good fun watching the show, but let's not kid ourselves that it's anything like reality.

I don't think anything is scripted per se, although it is possible that the producers may have asked her to do it, yes. The way "reality" shows (or "unscripted dramas" as they're less popularly known) generally work is that producers tell the contestants what to talk about in general terms without specifically directing what's actually said. F'rinstance, it's painfully obvious that the conversations before the nominations for elimination are set up, probably with something like "Go in there and tell Keith why you should stay", etc.

you don't think the whole thing was just a complete setup?  written out, scripted?  that that woman, when she came into the restaurant was told, "ok tonight you're the irate 'customer,' get up there and yell at ramsay, and trash a few things when he responds rudely"?

i mean, come on, it's all good fun watching the show, but let's not kid ourselves that it's anything like reality.

That's exactly what we thought--it was a setup trying to throw the kitchen off pace.

I was halfway wondering if Ramsay might jump over the counter and bitchslap her, or drag her out of the place by her collar, like he did with his line cooks. It almost made me feel sorry for the prick, to see him stand there and just call for security, like all impotent; all bark and no bite.

As much as I hate (love) Ramsey, I'm certain he's not a stupid man. I'm sure he would have loved to have taken a shot at her, but in the end all she did was destroy at best $100 worth of restaurant property. Smacking her would most likely result in criminal charges and several years in court trying to hold onto his fortune.

you don't think the whole thing was just a complete setup?  written out, scripted?  that that woman, when she came into the restaurant was told, "ok tonight you're the irate 'customer,' get up there and yell at ramsay, and trash a few things when he responds rudely"?

I highly doubt it. Having worked all my life in one form of customer service or another, I can assure you there are people who walk through their lives acting like 2 year olds on a daily basis. In fact I think people like her actually do that sort of stuff on purpose just to get people to smack them. Some people make litigation their full time job.

As for poor Garrett, well, looks like he's gone. Sad, really. But then again, he did say, "You bitches better have us men's dinner ready when we get home." I wondered what the hell he was doing trying to win a restaurant if he believed cooking was women's work. :rolleyes:

I'm only still watching because I want to see Sara get the axe. That'll be good TV.....

a.  It was mentioned in passing on the show that all participants have to sign a contract that includes a clause stating that they won't get physical with anyone else on the show

b.  I'm 99% sure that anyone who eats in the restaurant does it for free so whoever espoused the "desperate actress" theory is likely right-on.

you don't think the whole thing was just a complete setup? written out, scripted? that that woman, when she came into the restaurant was told, "ok tonight you're the irate 'customer,' get up there and yell at ramsay, and trash a few things when he responds rudely"?

Funny you mention that since last night, VH1 aired a show called "Secrets of Reality TV" and people associated with the reality show The Restaurant came clean on the fact that more than several of the restaurant's diners were actors and actresses hired by the shows producers (especially the nice looking women who stirred things up).

My take on irate customers is that, either before the show or when one complains about how long the food is taking, he/she/they are told you're welcome to complain to Chef Ramsey if you like. The rest is improv.

Ramsey did come across as a wuss - meekly wimpering "security," especially in front of the cooks at whom he has thrown plates, etc. More Ramsey-like would have been yelling at the woman to get the hell out of his kitchen and following her to the front door, yelling all the way.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I thought it was friggin' hiliarious when Gordon said to the lady "how do you expect me to work with your tits on my hotplate" or something like that.

Remember John Burton Race on his show French leave, when he got into a yelling match with an irate customer? That was not scripted.

You know, I think the REAL- LIFE Gordon would have ripped that rude lady apart with one of his obscenity filled tirades all the way out the door, making her cry like a baby. THAT would have been great TV. Very cilvilized of him to just calmly call for security. From what he appears in other shows he seems to have a much hotter temper than John Burton Race ever displayed. A ton more respect for Gordon with the restraint he showed (unless it was all scripted). He could have easily flung some food back into that bitch's face.

I'm guessing that the whole thing was not planned.... the show didn't really play up the situation all that much.

I'm sure everyone who knows that rude lady is having a quiet laugh about how she acted like a 4 year old on national TV. haha....

I'm only still watching because I want to see Sara get the axe. That'll be good TV.....

Oh, me too, Sugarella. [*rubbing hands expectently*]

Not that I know anything at all, but I always presumed that things were pretty much set up as you suspect, Holly Moore. That everyone is getting a free meal, but they've been told to have the same expectations they would have paying for a meal in any fine dining establishment. If your meal is, oh, HOURS late, please do speak up. The more loudly and colorfully, the better to get your mug on television. And the rest takes care of itself!

As Jon Stewart says on "The Daily Show": People do likes to be on the teevee.

Anyone catch Ramsay making a cruel comment to Jean-Pierre regarding the 12 bachelorettes when he was acting flirty with them?

It was something along the lines of, "Are you hoping one of them will take your virginity?"

Ouch.

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

OK, I have a gripe with Hell's Kitchen, and if this has been addressed before on this forum already I'm sorry. I'm new and don't have enough time to read all the old posts.

How does being an above average line cook, as all the tasks and meal services in Hell's Kitchen seem to be geared towards, show that one is prepared to own a restuarant? Espescially a huge operation in fiercely competitive Las Vegas?

I understand there are some good chefs left in the show that MIGHT have the skills to be an executive chef, but an owner? All of the difficult aspects of owning a restaurant not associated with the cooking are never mentioned in the show? Financing, personell, vendor relationships, equiptment maintenence, insurance, marketing, etc. etc. All these things are vital to owning a restaurant. These are not things you can learn on a reality show, you have to learn them through expierience. It seems like whoever does win Hell's Kitchen might be in for one hell of a rude awakening.

Does anyone have information as to how they expect to resolve this issue? Will whoever wins have a team of experts already in place that will handle all of the non-cooking aspects of ownership?

Thanks.

Will whoever wins have a team of experts already in place that will handle all of the non-cooking aspects of ownership?

That's kind of what I assume. Everything you say is correct. But even more than that, what does being pushed into being a mediocre line cook have to do with operating a kitchen at a Vegas resort? I understand people were probably originally selected for their personalities or their colorful backgrounds, but from what they're showing us, nobody is learning much about any aspect of running a kitchen here except that you have to do whatever you can to keep the food coming out during service? What does fumegating the place and running all day and night as a bar back/dock worker teach you about becoming an exec chef? Why isn't their punishment to spend hours in the kitchen or library (or both) studying and learn how to properly bone all types of fish or prepare gallons of good stock?

i love the show... but i keep thinking that the show would be even more enjoying (to me at least) if the show were more like the apprentice. where supposed "professionals" are chosen and have to compete at tasks. alternatively, it'd also be great to see gordon teaching these sorry sops some badly needed skillz along the way...

I also subscribe to the theory that the producers help the drama along. On other network's reality shows (I'm looking at you, Bravo), they also help with the elimination decisions.

I'd like to think Gordon gets to make those decisions here. He gets to choose the Red Rock chef from a group that includes s a salad chef, prison chef, deli manager, etc. There had to have been a WTF? moment at the initial pitch meeting. Oh well, maybe it's good enough to have an American TV show.

This season I'm not going to have a "yay" moment when the winner is announced. Because? None of these folks have been set up to be deserving in any recognizable way. Although, I, too, am looking forward to Sara's demise. It's all a little bit like they're sous gladiators and GR is the lion.

I really enjoyed this last episode and agree that the angry girl was scripted. Someone asked Tony Bourdain at the Seattle book signing last month what Gordon was really like and Tony said that Gordon was "playing Gordon from 10 years ago and that now he is a total pussycat"! By the way, this is my first post and I am very happy to be here.