• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hell's Kitchen U.S. Season 2

hungryCAT

The whole thing seems fake. This 'head chef' is a miserable excuse for a human. The 'contestants' surely signed something that says they won't attack him or tell him off. No one would take verbal abuse like that and stay. (spitting out their food into a trash can, that's entertainment, come on. Someone should have slipped something vile in their dish to really make him puke.)

I think they took a good concept and made it into something they think americans find amusing these days. Sad.

The distraction of this skreetching idiot would make any food service a joke.

Really, folks...if sweating guy won the series would you eat from his restaurant? Please. These people will never be anything more than mouthbreathers. There doesn't seem to be a one that can concentrate on what they are doing.

And to think that there are truly intelligent future chefs that could have used the exposure. Did I say I'm dissapointed?

Have you not heard of Gordon and his reputation? This is how he has always been in the kitchen. Watch Boiling Points or Kitchen Nightmares. He's exactly the same on these more real 'reality' shows.

You're wrong saying that no one would stand for his behavior. He has an amazing degree of loyalty from his cooks in England. They hear his abuse day in and out, and yet they stick with him because they respect him and his cuisine.

Yeah, this show is typical american reality television, but you shouldn't bash on Ramsay. You may disagree with his tactics and approach, but you have to respect his reputation for continually producing great food.

The whole thing seems fake. This 'head chef' is a miserable excuse for a human. The 'contestants' surely signed something that says they won't attack him or tell him off. No one would take verbal abuse like that and stay. (spitting out their food into a trash can, that's entertainment, come on. Someone should have slipped something vile in their dish to really make him puke.)

I think they took a good concept and made it into something they think americans find amusing these days. Sad.

The distraction of this skreetching idiot would make any food service a joke.

Really, folks...if sweating guy won the series would you eat from his restaurant? Please. These people will never be anything more than mouthbreathers. There doesn't seem to be a one that can concentrate on what they are doing.

And to think that there are truly intelligent future chefs that could have used the exposure. Did I say I'm dissapointed?

I have to agree with the previous poster here. Have you ever heard of this 'head chef' as you call him?

This is what bothers me about Hell's Kitchen. It serves as a poor introduction to Gordon Ramsay for those who have never read about him before or seen him in Boiling Point or the superb Kitchen Nightmares.

We on eGullet take it for granted that everyone knows Ramsay, Batali or Bourdain.

But it's worth remembering that we're in the minority.

I have to agree with the previous poster here. Have you ever heard of this 'head chef' as you call him?

Of course, you're right. Ramsay runs one of only three restaurants in England with three Michelin stars, I think -- people will put up with a loooooot of crap to apprentice under him.

Still, having said that, Cowpati's remark, "This 'head chef' is a miserable excuse for a human" is uncanny, compared to A. A. Gill's comment after Ramsay threw him (and Joan Collins) out of his restaurant -- "Ramsay is a wonderful chef, just a really second-rate human being." :biggrin:

I have to ask whether or not others on this forum think that anyone would really be willing to work under an executive chef (which is the prize, right?) who won their job on a TV show? Generations of classically trained French chefs would roll around in their graves. It seems typical of the view of how one achieves "success" that is all too typical these days. You don't need hard work, years of experience, etc. Just a quick jolt from a reality show. Having said that, I think the show is great "entertainment", despite the repeated material. It shows people at their nastiest, and I don't just mean GR. It's not really about food or what it is really like to work in a restaurant. It's about "human nature". I apologize if this has been said before, but it is American Idol meets the Food Channel, with GR playing Simon what's his name.

I am a big fan of Hell's Kitchen, this season and last. Kitchen Nightmares is equally great....but I like him better in Kitchen Nightmares because he seems a lot friendlier

also I HATE Sarah. I was really praying that Virginia would stick up for herself (as well as the other ladies) when she was in the running to get the boot.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Finally caught up with the show for the first time this season last night -- back-to-back episodes. I think the shtick is getting a little old for me, I'll likely finish this season and likely won't be cak next, even if Gordon is -- he's kind of a one trick pony on TV.

But my question is -- did they pick the men's just to be particularly unattractive? Bad personalities, bad cooking and the only cute one(in theis straight boy's perhaps flawed opinion) got booted already. It's hardly a fair contest for the hearts, minds and palates of the viewing public.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

--I have to ask whether or not others on this forum think that anyone would really be willing to work under an executive chef (which is the prize, right?) who won their job on a TV show?--

At this point I'd be willing to bet the farm that any "Executive Chef" job that one of these morons is going to win will be in title only.

I also thought for sure that Virginia or one of the other women would say something about Sara's little game. I'd bet if Heather was on that team she would have piped up, being the only one who has any sense of integrity or professionalism. Honestly, at the end I thought Ramsay was going to call Sara out for it, like maybe he heard the exchange and was playing along. Jesus what a train wreck though; how fast do you think the French Culinary Institute is purging that guy Tom from their records to deny he ever graduated from there?

For reference, the Season 1 thread isHERE. A lot of this was hashed out there, like are any of these people actually qualified or properly prepared to be an Exec Chef at a multi-million dollar Vegas resto? (No.)

Personally, this is one reality show that I can watch and it is simply because I like Gordo. He is so over the top that as others pointed out, it is no longer in the realm of reality anymore. It's like watching Looney Tunes -- only in these episodes, Wyle E Coyote actually eats the goddam Roadrunner.

Man, I just saw Boiling Point...

The Gordon Ramsay from Hell's Kitchen is like Mary Poppins after a few monster bong-hits, compared to the Gordon Ramsay of Boiling Point... At least he's not physically assaulting anyone in HK.

How the hell can this man still be alive? His behavior was completely psychotic in Boiling Point. Physically dragging people around by their collars like they were animals -- and as if he was well, a psychopatic, animal abusing piece of shit. The petty, vendictive nature of his comments boggles the mind -- but only slightly less than the abject submissiveness of his victims. It was like watching Pimps Up, Hoes Down: Some pathetic asshole, completely drunk with the illusion of his own power, surrounded by sad, damaged souls, wimpering and cowering from the abuse.

Maybe there is some sociological mechanism at work here -- that there can only be one truly crazy person in a kitchen at a time. Because otherwise, I cannot for the life of me understand how come no one's done something truly horrible to the man... And I say that as someone who appreciate colorful language and the linguistic acrobatics of a good talking-to -- but man, Boiling Point is frightening.

Can someone, ANYONE, explain to me what Mary Ann's (sous chef) problem is?

Last season, one of the contestants muttered during service that Gordon was an asshole, or something along those lines. Mary Ann heard it, and immediately became the tattletale: "What did you say? What did you say?" -- pulling the contestant over to Gordon so he could repeat it. I thought it then: WTF?

This past episode, she chucks a cake on the floor while the girls are cleaning, and yet the only thing shown is Sara still playing with the spray bottles of cleaner. No one says anything? How far is THAT from reality?

Best believe that if I was trying to clean -- Sara fooling around or not -- and someone added to the mess in such a manner, it'd be ON.

I am seriously trying to understand more about this individual and how she functions.

How far is THAT from reality?

The point here, is that it's not reality. It is, after all, a TV show.

Yes, BUT.

Given that this is an individual who must inevitably go out into public to work and/or do anything else, I'd think she'd want to give a more...professional impression. Given that she works for Ramsay and is "above" the contestants, better behavior would be warranted.

Gordon, I'd expect to chuck a cake. His underlings: no way.

Gordon, I'd expect to chuck a cake.  His underlings: no way.

I'm sorry if I missed this somewhere earlier in this thread or the other - but who is she? Does she really work for him? Anybody know?

Maybe she's been working with him a little too long :wink:

Maybe she was told to add more drama to the show?

I have said it before but I stand behind it.

While I think that Hell's Kitchen is edited to make Ramsay seem even more mencing and hot tempered then he is. BUT if you look at the people he is dealing on this show or Kitchen Nightmares and when they don't do things properly or put half assed effort into it-sorry but they deserve what they get.

He has extremely high standards that he holds himself and those around him too and anyone who sets foot in a kitchen with him should know that and be willing/able to meet those standards- otherwise they have no place being there. Sorry I have no pity for those he has verbally wiped the floor with.

I'm sorry if I missed this somewhere earlier in this thread or the other - but who is she? Does she really work for him? Anybody know?

Possibly, though I find it interesting that no one said ANYTHING in response to her for adding to the mess after the kids' party.

Both she and the gentleman sous chef on the show are employees of his; I know Mary Ann is a graduate of the Institute of Culinary Ed here in Manhattan.

I was glad to see Tom go - he should've been booted 2 weeks ago.

That Sara - :angry: Hmmm, mmmm, mmm-mmm-mmm. It'll be nice to

see that childish instigator bite the dust.

I had high hopes for Giovanni. He just went downhill from the word GO

Maybe she's been working with him a little too long  :wink:

Could be, could be... But I also think that she might have noticed Sara's underhanded backstabbing... Also, there was also Sara's "cheerleading incident." And if the sous chef was stuck with the team until they finished the job, seeing one of them playing silly buggers rather than applying themselve to it -- and also taking the defeat so seemingly lighthearted, could have set her off. And for that, I really couldn't blame her. The entire men's team seem equally useless, but the women's team do have some hard-working, skilled contestants, so seeing one of their team's weaker links playing around like a retarded, five-year old brat would probably irritate me quite a bit too...

All that aside, the Hell's Kitchen version of Gordon Ramsay is a cleaned-up, kind-hearted Mr. Rogers kinda persona. He is, after all, working with almost entirely unqualified people. In Boiling Point (which was not a reality show, but a documentary on his first restaurant) the man was dragging his line cooks around by the scruff off their collars, and demoting and firing people right and left for any mistakes...

Mary Ann threw the cake after Sara called Rachael a bitch. Big deal - the room was still a mess anyway. I thought it was funny - and Sara was the only one to have a sense of humor about the whole crap job. The restaurant biz is full of shit jobs and taking others' abuse. I can think of plenty of times people threw stuff and made a mess, and we had to clean it up. And it's part of Mary Ann's and Scott's jobs to help GR dish it out ;).

As for HK, I watched the first new episode of The F Word last week and though it's similar in format to HK, it's like HK is a really dumbed down version stripped of any informative content with the drama amped up. TFW explains the dishes being served, there's intelligent conversation with the guests (as opposed to HK's who mostly just whine and mug for the camera), and other informative bits. HK is like the version of the show shown to screw-ups in detention. Is American TV really that dumb compared to shows in Canada, Europe, and elsewhere (probably not Japan - their shows seem REALLY goofy)? I find myself watching more and more shows from those countries, and fewer and fewer from the US. At any rate, I still enjoy seeing GR kick ass in the kitchen ;).

Possibly, though I find it interesting that no one said ANYTHING in response to her for adding to the mess after the kids' party.

Both she and the gentleman sous chef on the show are employees of his; I know Mary Ann is a graduate of the Institute of Culinary Ed here in Manhattan.

New member here, hello everyone. That guy in the show that is the sous chef if noone has already mentioned it is Scott Leibfried who is also on Food Network. He does the food challenge shows. Here's a link from Food tv

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/hosts_cele...4396741,00.html

Edited by lucylou95816 (log)

New member here, hello everyone.  That guy in the show that is the sous chef if noone has already mentioned it is Scott Leibfried who is also on Food Network.  He does the food challenge shows.  Here's a link from Food tv

Welcome to eGullet lucylou! Thanks for the link (though I don't get the show here). Any info on the female?

New member here, hello everyone.  That guy in the show that is the sous chef if noone has already mentioned it is Scott Leibfried who is also on Food Network.  He does the food challenge shows.  Here's a link from Food tv

Welcome to eGullet lucylou! Thanks for the link (though I don't get the show here). Any info on the female?

Hi Pam

thanks for the welcome. I'll have to try and search around. If I find anything, I'll be sure to put it up. Thanks again.

Mary Ann Salcedo

Hometown: New York, NY

Mary Ann Salcedo has impressive experience in several different styles of cuisine.  After receiving her culinary arts degree from the Institute for Culinary Education, Salcedo worked in several restaurants and bakeries in New York, quickly becoming Head Chef at Green Street Café.  Salcedo moved to Massachusetts and worked as the Executive Chef at Harvest Valley Restaurant. She later worked at Caminito Argentinean Restaurant, where she gained valuable experience and knowledge of an unfamiliar cuisine and cooking style.  Specializing in traditional French cuisine, Salcedo is also proficient in regional new American, Argentinean, Asian, Italian and vegetarian/vegan cooking.  Most recently, Salcedo served as the Executive Sous Chef at Rene Pujol Restaurant in New York City.  She also consults and teaches recreational cooking classes.

Link

Ramsay's Sous Chef, Mary Ann Salcedo, has an impressive resum‚: degree from Institute of Culinary Education (New York), Head Chef at Green Street Cafe‚, Executive Chef at Harvest Valley Restaurant, Executive Chef at Merchants Restaurant, Executive Sous Chef at Rene Pujol Restaurant (NYC). She also teaches cooking classes.

Link

Mary Ann Salcedo

Hometown: New York, NY

Mary Ann Salcedo has impressive experience in several different styles of cuisine.  After receiving her culinary arts degree from the Institute for Culinary Education, Salcedo worked in several restaurants and bakeries in New York, quickly becoming Head Chef at Green Street Café.  Salcedo moved to Massachusetts and worked as the Executive Chef at Harvest Valley Restaurant. She later worked at Caminito Argentinean Restaurant, where she gained valuable experience and knowledge of an unfamiliar cuisine and cooking style.  Specializing in traditional French cuisine, Salcedo is also proficient in regional new American, Argentinean, Asian, Italian and vegetarian/vegan cooking.  Most recently, Salcedo served as the Executive Sous Chef at Rene Pujol Restaurant in New York City.  She also consults and teaches recreational cooking classes.

Link

Ramsay's Sous Chef, Mary Ann Salcedo, has an impressive resum‚: degree from Institute of Culinary Education (New York), Head Chef at Green Street Cafe‚, Executive Chef at Harvest Valley Restaurant, Executive Chef at Merchants Restaurant, Executive Sous Chef at Rene Pujol Restaurant (NYC). She also teaches cooking classes.

Link

thanks John for finding that. I didn't even know her first name. They are sure pretty impressive according to their backgrounds.