• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hell's Kitchen U.S. Season 2

hungryCAT

Yes, it was bleeped on FTVC. I don't expect FTVC bleeped it, I think they just get the show that way and air it as is, which explains the difference between the shows.

Too bad, because we're allowed to hear swear words up here. :raz:

I love this show. I watch Kitchen Nightmares on BBC America and I like that show too. I would love sometime to eat some of Gordon Ramsey's food to see if it is all that great, really. I have to wonder. I am rooting for Heather at this point.

I would go on the show if I knew how to apply. There's a resturant down in Austin, TX (I don't know if it is still there or not...) a long time ago called GM Steakhouse. The whole point of the place was that everyone in it was rude. And you didn't go in there unless you wanted to be insulted. I think I would be laughing too much at all the rudeness. :raz:

The person I feel for in the show is Jean Pierre. Poor guy is getting it from the customers in the show. Why do they have to be so rude, they know when they walk into the place what the resturant is and why its there...

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I'm getting the feeling that this season is gonna be overly "staged".

That silly business of the guy going up to the kitchen and demanding

more pumpkin and a preview I've seen of Jean Pierre getting an

entree or whatever thrown at him - give me a break. I get the feeling

that theatrics are really getting over the top - thus making this less

reality TV and more ridiculous nonsense.

I'll still watch it, of course. :cool:

You know, I've never really bought the concept that being a genius gives one the right to be an asshole. I've had it 'explained' to me a million times (spent some time in the theatre world :raz:) and my response was a shrug. I just don't think it is necessary, justifiable or excusable. I won't be watching this because it offends me on one level and, more importantly it bores me on another.

Last night I finally managed to catch most of the episode of American Masters devoted to Alice Waters.

At one point in the hour, Ms. Waters meditates on the glories of the peach, the fruit she adores above all else in the summer. She insists that buying the fruit only for a brief period of time each year, late July through September, makes it all the more special. We see her shop at the market and accept a surprisingly huge globe from a farmer.

One of her favorite farmers stands on a ladder in his peach orchard, presenting one of his prized fruits still clinging to the branch. He shows us how the colors on the skin tell the story of the fruit's growth, lifting back a leaf to reveal the elongated, tapered strip of yellow underneath, contrasting shyly with the vivid rose the sun left on the exposed skin.

Then, we see a tall, elegantly beautiful young woman, pale skin, yellow hair, bright red lipstick, place slices of perfectly ripe peach, one by one, in spirals across the surface of dough that has been coated with almond paste. The voice of Alice Waters narrates. As we learn more about her philosophy about honoring ingredients, complementing the perfect peach with the purest, simplest forms of presentation, a lute or Spanish guitar strums. The young woman tucks the dough around the edges of the pan in a stunning, regular pattern; a white-coated man draws the finished galette out of the oven. The camera moves in to capture the deep carmelization on the edges of some of the slices, the juice in crevices.

It was the strumming, the music and idyllic pace in the rustic wooden kitchen filled with the fresh scrubbed faces of skilled cooks that made an impression. Sure, this was staged, too. Of course there must be moments of frenetic energy, mishaps and so forth on a busy night at Chez Panisse.

However, PBS was sellling very different entertainment values. And in a show all about Waters, it was all about the food.

In Hell's Kitchen, a show built around the caustic side of Ramsey's personality (the UK thread on his BBC show suggests that Americans get more of a Rambo character than Brits do), a lute simply would not do. Sweat. Calamity. The race around the table at The White Rabbit's tea party as reinacted in white coats in a metallic environment filled with dangerous objects.

But more importantly, where's the food? Where's the part about training the amateurs, choosing a menu and prepping all day long before the dining room opens?

Granted I did not see both episodes, but all I caught that remotely centered on food was a small segment in which Ramsey quickly cut a 10-oz. sirloin from a hunk of beef, bragged about being able to just tell its weight by virtue of experience, and then, without passing out scales, demanded the Men and the Women eyeball their slabs of meat and replicate what he did in X number of minutes.

Cut. Commercial for Outback Steakhouse.

It's very interesting that very few posts here actually address food, i.e., what ought to be our focus. I suspect it's because this show simply is not about food.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

It's very interesting that very few posts here actually address food, i.e., what ought to be our focus. I suspect it's because this show simply is not about food

But that seems to hold true for most of American reality shows. With a few exceptions such as Top Chef or Project Runway, they are strictly about "THE DRAMA" and "PERSONALITIES" rather then talent, potential or otherwise. Not exactly sure what that says about us or the TV executives' perception of us :rolleyes: but I am sure it is not very flattering. :raz:

It IS a shame, as I have watched GR on Kitchen Nighmares and really enjoyed his sharing his hard-won experience. He comes across very "Tough Love" and more than capable of controlling his temper. On HK he just comes across a petty tyrant, and, frankly, a screaming, egotistical asshole. I won't be watching anymore.

can i ask a stupid question? ok i'm just gonna go ahead.

supposedly the winner of this show gets handed the reins to a very expensive restaurant in vegas. now, i know it's not 'hell's kitchen' since that 'restaurant' is obviously set up for the show, not to be a real place.

but this is the second season. i didn't watch last season--did last year's winner get the restaurant? is it still in existence? i mean, how real is this 'reality' show?

but this is the second season.  i didn't watch last season--did last year's winner get the restaurant?  is it still in existence?  i mean, how real is this 'reality' show?

if I'm not mistaken (and I may be) the winner was given an option and chose to go work at one of Ramsey's other restaurants rather than open one in LV.

well, gordon ramsey is being promo-ed to be on Live with Regis and Kelly for their "Grilling a go-go" segment tomorrow ...

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I love this show. I think that it is great entertainment! I have people in my culinary school thanking the chefs for teaching us to be everything that those idiots on Hell's Kitchen aren't and more than likely... never will be.

At the end of the day, it's all about good food!

I just watched Hell's Kitchen for the first time ever. Where did those men go to school? Life in a real kitchen is hectic, fast paced, you have to be on top of every little thing in your station. You can't forget stuff. The women seem to have it more together. But in the middle of service for a 350 cover night, you make sure your station is prepped and ready to go before the doors open.

How many covers are they cooking for each night of service? These folks are acting like they have never stepped foot into a commercial kitchen ever.

As for Chef's tirades, hell, I thought they deserved the tongue lashing. Of course I realize that everything is edited for drama and effect of television. If you cover your station, then there is no reason for the Chef to have to chew you out.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I just watched Hell's Kitchen for the first time ever.  Where did those men go to school?  Life in a real kitchen is hectic, fast paced, you have to be on top of every little thing in your station.  You can't forget stuff.  The women seem to have it more together.  But in the middle of service for a 350 cover night,  you make sure your station is prepped and ready to go before the doors open. 

How many covers are they cooking for each night of service?  These folks are acting like they have never stepped foot into a commercial kitchen ever. 

As for Chef's tirades,  hell, I thought they deserved the tongue lashing.  Of course I realize that everything is edited for drama and effect of television.  If you cover your station, then there is no reason for the Chef to have to chew you out.

As has been said before this show is for entertainment purposes. Sort of an anti-reality show. As opposed to something like Top Chef, most of the contestants were clearly picked for their personality/looks, not their cooking resume. This time on the guys side central casting selected the "old sweaty guy", the "yo yo yo bada bing" dude, the ex-prisoner (like no ex-con has ever seen a kitchen before!) and the young, innocent messy haired pizza tosser. And for the women, while there actually might be some talent in there FOX has repeatedly emphasized how good they all look in bikinis (shocking!).

Hey, I think it's good entertainment, but am not expecting the next Thomas Keller to emerge from this show.

I just watched Hell's Kitchen for the first time ever.  Where did those men go to school?  Life in a real kitchen is hectic, fast paced, you have to be on top of every little thing in your station.  You can't forget stuff.  The women seem to have it more together.  But in the middle of service for a 350 cover night,  you make sure your station is prepped and ready to go before the doors open. 

How many covers are they cooking for each night of service?  These folks are acting like they have never stepped foot into a commercial kitchen ever. 

As for Chef's tirades,  hell, I thought they deserved the tongue lashing.  Of course I realize that everything is edited for drama and effect of television.  If you cover your station, then there is no reason for the Chef to have to chew you out.

Who cares where they went to school? We've fired more cooks that graduated from culinary school than we've kept..... Honestly, I've not worked with a single culinary school graduate that lived up to expectations. Experience is #1 in this biz.

And I honestly think GR is too easy on these fools.

I finally caught the first two episodes (or maybe they were episodes 2 and 3? no idea) earlier this week...ridiculous as last season.

Although I have to say it -- from the looks of things, the guys are destined to disappear and the girls will be the final contestants. That's my prediction.

I think Garrett's got a shot. I wonder if he was one of the prison cooks in the prison episode of The F Word last season. After HK episode 3, I like Heather less and like Sara a little more.

I couldnt agree more about the Heather/Sara thing. Heather completely over reacted, and then seemed to be having a bit of a big head thing going on. Sara at first seemed to be a bit jealous maybe, but I think she may be right on.

Saw Hells' Kitchen on Monday too. Or should we be calling it "The Muppet Show?"

Ok, is it just me, or did Tom totally fake that burn?

Heather went off to the hospital with her burn, so I think he faked one then kept working to show he was tougher. Then started sulking and moping around because he wasn't getting any attention for it.

My money's on Sara, because she's exactly like GR. She's a perfectionist, takes no shit from anybody, has no tolerance for useless people, and can't stand whiners. I'm just waiting for her to haul off and smack somebody.

Edit: Looks like they're already casting for next season, if anyone's interested. :huh:

Edited by Sugarella (log)

Just caught two episodes of this -- is it just me, or is there a really high ratio of advertising, intro and exit footage, repeat footage of what happened last time, what happened before the break, previews of what will happen next time, previews of what will happen after the break, etc., etc., etc. -to actual show, here?

I mean, if you took away of those filler elements, you'd be left with about 10 minutes of original footage...

Yeah, the repeat footage is annoying, especially since I record it and watch without commercials.

The entrance "fire doors" are cool - wonder how they do that - use a projector?

I also wouldn't be half-surprised if Tom loses it and yells/throws something/takes a swing at GR. ;P But GR runs a half-marathon every week, so that shouldn't be any problem. ;P Actually, I'm sort of surprised GR hasn't gotten in a brawl before or had his property vandalized, as far as I know. On HK's site, sous chef Scott said he's had his tires slashed (in one of the videos). Not that I advocate any of that, but I've seen some borderline people and raging tempers in my kitchen years.

Edited by johnsmith45678 (log)

Just caught two episodes of this -- is it just me, or is there a really high ratio of advertising, intro and exit footage, repeat footage of what happened last time, what happened before the break, previews of what will happen next time, previews of what will happen after the break, etc., etc., etc. -to actual show, here?

I mean, if you took away of those filler elements, you'd be left with about 10 minutes of original footage...

We haven't done the experiment, but it's a perfect example of a DVR show. You can hit fast-forward three times as soon as they go into the "coming up next" bit, and not have to worry about missing something important if your trigger finger is a little slow on the play button. Compared to other shows, it's particularly blatant.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I never saw the initial run, so all I've seen are the two first episodes of this second season. It seems to have less to do with cooking and working in a professional kitchen, than just being a reality show. It might as well be Survivor Island Catwalk Model Big Brother-o-rama, this...

I came across two episodes of Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares, and those were a damn breath of fresh air. Not only do those degenerate, perverted Britons allow all the words of the English language to be broadcast over the airwaves, they even throw in a little bit of cooking too. I'm sure it's as contrived, and that as much dishonesty arises from the editing process as any old show, but still -- a vastly more entertaining (and infinately more informative) show.

I was half hoping that Rachel, Virginia and Mirabel would figure out Sara's antics and get together and boot her, but really, Tom needed to go and Virginia has screwed up every service since day 1.

I look forward to Sara being booted. It will be sweet to see her picture go up in flames.

Oh, Rachel. WTF's with the egg white glaze???

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

The whole thing seems fake. This 'head chef' is a miserable excuse for a human. The 'contestants' surely signed something that says they won't attack him or tell him off. No one would take verbal abuse like that and stay. (spitting out their food into a trash can, that's entertainment, come on. Someone should have slipped something vile in their dish to really make him puke.)

I think they took a good concept and made it into something they think americans find amusing these days. Sad.

The distraction of this skreetching idiot would make any food service a joke.

Really, folks...if sweating guy won the series would you eat from his restaurant? Please. These people will never be anything more than mouthbreathers. There doesn't seem to be a one that can concentrate on what they are doing.

And to think that there are truly intelligent future chefs that could have used the exposure. Did I say I'm dissapointed?