• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raleigh: French restaurant Saint Jacques

Mssmltzr

I know that a new french restaurant has opened in the triangle. There is a possibility that it is in Cary. I know this is a horribly vague question--but has anyone heard of this restaurant and could give me the name? I have done a few google searches without any luck.

Thanks!

Mary

Could it be St. Jacques?  It is relatively new.  It is in North Raleigh, out Falls of the Neuse.  It is VERY traditional french and very good.

Sorry to disagree with you....this place is not my idea of "very good". We've been there three times. Last time we were there, not one entree was under $20.00....even at places like Bloomsbury Bistro, you can find at least one entree for less than $20. For the prices this place charges, I'd expect their food to be outstanding and it surely is not that, IMO. I'd say it's "all right", but not good enough to make regular customers out of us. This really isn't about money; it's about value and, again IMO, St. Jacques doesn't cut it. Every time we've been there, service has been uneven: either we've been ignored for long stretches or someone is in our faces every five minutes, usually when our mouths are full, asking if everything if OK. If you want "VERY traditional French and very good", even better than "very good", I recommend Vin Rouge in Durham.

CBHall

Well, I guess we disagree. I have only been once and our experience, food, wine and service, was "very good". I still stand by my statement that the menu is traditional french...at least it was when we went.

I actually think St. Jacques is the finest classic French restaurant in the area.  It's on a different level than Vin Rouge, which I also love, but they're two totally different restaurants.

You've got your opinion; I've got mine. And mine is that St. Jacques is a big rip-off and won't be getting our business any time soon. 'Nuff said. We can afford to eat anywhere, but we also have our eyes wide open when it comes to getting good value for our money. Just for the record, we've eaten at various kinds of restaurants---cafes, bistros, upscale, etc.---on 6-7 trips to France....so we do know a little something about French restaurants.

Edited by foodiehall (log)

CBHall

I haven't been to St. Jacques, though I'ld be very curious to try it now. Perhaps Foodiehall and VaNC would like to join me (and pay for me) and we could see just how echt-Francais it is.

Varmint, would you say that St. Jacques is better than Bistro 607, the irrascable, but neglected, restaurant on Glenwood South? The menu is decidedly not Bistro-ey, although having a good French restaurant in the South...that's probably the price you have to pay.

William McKinney aka "wcmckinney"

I haven't been to St. Jacques, though I'ld be very curious to try it now.  Perhaps Foodiehall and VaNC would like to join me (and pay for me) and we could see just how echt-Francais it is.

Just so there's no misunderstanding...I'm not saying/implying that St. Jacques is pretending to be a French restaurant; it's as French as a restaurant can be in Raleigh, NC. I'm not passing judgment on its authenticity. My problem with the place is that---in my opinion---their food isn't worth the price they charge for it.

CBHall

I agree with foodiehall. Went to St. Jacques a few months back. My wife and I paid a lot, like $180, for bland, Americanized french food. The service wasn't very good and the menu was unimpressive.

We went to Vin Rouge spend like $150 and had the time of our lives. Sure, the restaurants go at the market differently, one tries to be a French restaurant while the other is more like a brasserie or a bistro, even so, execution is everything.

Sorry for the ramble. I've just been meaning to get this rant off my chest