• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Chettinad

Woods

Hello,

I have had this dish at Indique in Washington, DC and it is wonderful. Does anyone have a reicpe or can you direct me to a book that may have it?

Thank you

My parents and I use Madhur Jaffrey's recipe in the hard soft-cover (if you get my meaning) book. I forget the name of it offhand. We love urad dal, however, and quadruple the amount she uses.

Michael aka "Pan"

Hello,

I have had this dish at Indique in Washington, DC and it is wonderful.  Does anyone have a reicpe or can you direct me to a book that may have it? 

Thank you

How did it turn out?

Chettinad, is a region in Southern India and the cuisine, in general, is kind of fiery and hot. The people who live here are known as ' Chettiars', they were the rich 'noblemen/ landlords' of the area and obviously ate well. Food from the area was generally better( richer & spicier) and came to be known as Chettinad cuisine. It is somewhat the haute cuisine of Soth India and you will find numerous restaurants listing their speciality as Chettinad Cuisine or calling themself a Chettinad Restaurant like restaurants in the north touting ' mughlai cuisine'.

So, there are more than one version of chicken from the area and technically all can be termed Chettinad.

If your version is not similar to what you ate just ask Vinod ( chef/owner Indique)

for the recipe they use, I am sure he would share.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

Hello,

I have had this dish at Indique in Washington, DC and it is wonderful.  Does anyone have a reicpe or can you direct me to a book that may have it? 

Thank you

How did it turn out?

Chettinad, is a region in Southern India and the cuisine, in general, is kind of fiery and hot. The people who live here are known as ' Chettiars', they were the rich 'noblemen/ landlords' of the area and obviously ate well. Food from the area was generally better( richer & spicier) and came to be known as Chettinad cuisine. It is somewhat the haute cuisine of Soth India and you will find numerous restaurants listing their speciality as Chettinad Cuisine or calling themself a Chettinad Restaurant like restaurants in the north touting ' mughlai cuisine'.

So, there are more than one version of chicken from the area and technically all can be termed Chettinad.

If your version is not similar to what you ate just ask Vinod ( chef/owner Indique)

for the recipe they use, I am sure he would share.

Thank you, Bhasin for the information. I have had no time to cook yet. You are right about Vinod. I have met him once (I work at Sur La Table in DC) and he is very nice. His recipe uses a lot of black pepper. I have found many recipes on the web but few of them use black pepper at all. I will definitely ask him. He has also opened Indique Heights just up from the store.