• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can you identify these menus?

A recent office re-org has seen my collection of menus filed into alphabetical order (sad isn't the word I know but I do refer to them for my work, honest). While I've been able to identify the vast majority, I do have three that have no indication of which restaurant they are from. Just for fun, I wondered if anyone can fill in the gaps from these sample dishes (they are all UK restaurants as far as I know) -

Menu 1 (I think this may be Jason Atherton at L'anis, which was where Zaika now is, but I never actually ate there so I'm not sure)

Salad of marinated sea bream, citrus fruit and olive oil dressing, milk garlic puree

Braised beef skirt with roasted vegetables, snail and garlic mash

Chocolate delice flavoured with anise and cocnut sorbet

Menu 2

Foie Gras ballottine on a Madeira jelly, salad of green beans, Granny Smith apple and truffle

Seabass pan fried on fennel hearts, tomato concasse and chives, civet sauce marbled with fennel veloute

Strawberry fool with layers of fresh meringue, pistachio nuts, jelly of red berries

Menu 3

Salad of Cornish lobster with Parmesan Panis a la Nicoise with lobster vinaigrette

grilled turbot with cannelloni of scallops and sevruga caviar with a parmesan cream sauce

raviolo of rice pudding with marinated strawberries and white chocolate ice sorbet

A recent office re-org has seen my collection of menus filed into alphabetical order (sad isn't the word I know but I do refer to them for my work, honest).  While I've been able to identify the vast majority, I do have three that have no indication of which restaurant they are from. Just for fun, I wondered if anyone can fill in the gaps from these sample dishes (they are all UK restaurants as far as I know) -

Menu 1 (I think this may be Jason Atherton at L'anis, which was where Zaika now is, but I never actually ate there so I'm not sure)

Salad of marinated sea bream, citrus fruit and olive oil dressing, milk garlic puree

Braised beef skirt with roasted vegetables, snail and garlic mash

Chocolate delice flavoured with anise and cocnut sorbet

Menu 2

Foie Gras ballottine on a Madeira jelly, salad of green beans, Granny Smith apple and truffle

Seabass pan fried on fennel hearts, tomato concasse and chives, civet sauce marbled with fennel veloute

Strawberry fool with layers of fresh meringue, pistachio nuts, jelly of red berries

Menu 3

Salad of Cornish lobster with Parmesan Panis a la Nicoise with lobster vinaigrette

grilled turbot with cannelloni of scallops and sevruga caviar with a parmesan cream sauce

raviolo of rice pudding with marinated strawberries and white chocolate ice sorbet

Number one does indeed sound like atherton, though mostly because of the snails and garlic mash reference which, in another form, is on the menu at Maze.

No idea on menu two but I'd want to punch any chef who marbled any sauce with a veloute of anything else.

Menu 3 sounds like Burton-Race in Landmark incarnation. But that really is just a guess.

No help at all am I.

Jay

Menu 3 sounds like Burton-Race in Landmark incarnation. But that really is just a guess.

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts it's Michael Caines. Possibly from when he was in Bristol.

Edit update: in fact, I'm absolutely sure this is from Caines's Bristol Marriott, from about three years ago. Had a free meal there once, which was 99% fur coat and 1% undercrackers. Honestly -- what kind of ponce marinades strawberries?

Number 2 looks to me like the Ramsified Savoy Grill.

And I don't have a scoobie about No. 1.

Edited by naebody (log)

I'm sure you're right about number three, and as he's just announced that he's pulling out of his consultancy with the Marriot I can throw the thing out.

I'm also sure Jay is correct about menu one. I've got a faxed version of the menu which I got because I was thinking about visiting the restaurant and wanted to check it out in advance. I ended up not going but it had nothing to do with how the menu read as it all sounded great. Probably couldn't get a babysitter and then before I knew it the place had closed and been taken over by Allegra Mcevedy for about 5 minutes before becoming Zaika.

Still not sure about number two. Other dishes included Boudin of chicken and veal with onion, potao saute and veal truffle jus; crab and salmon ravioli with pink grapefuit, pak choi, basil puree and lemon grass bisque; and poached and roasted guinea fowl with rosti, parma ham, thyme and cepe dressing, rosemary veloute.

Still not sure about number two. Other dishes included Boudin of chicken and veal with onion, potao saute and veal truffle jus; crab and salmon ravioli with pink grapefuit, pak choi, basil puree and lemon grass bisque; and poached and roasted guinea fowl with rosti, parma ham, thyme and cepe dressing, rosemary veloute.

Then if it's not Savoy Grill, it must be Fleur. Deffo Marcus Wareing, I'd say.

I'm also sure Jay is correct about menu one. I've got a faxed version of the menu which  I got because I was thinking about visiting the restaurant and wanted to check it out in advance. I ended up not going but it had nothing to do with how the menu read as it all sounded great. Probably couldn't get a babysitter and then before I knew it the place had closed and been taken over by Allegra Mcevedy for about 5 minutes before becoming Zaika.

Menu 1 is certainly L'Anis - we had that snail and garlic mash just about every visit.

Allegra Mcevedy (sp?) was actually at that site (as "The Good Cook", I think) before Cuisine Collection bought the lease and essentially moved the Frith Street Restaurant team there to trade as L'Anis.

It went straight from being L'Anis to being Zaika under the same ownership when Jason Atherton went to Dubai for Grodon Ramsay and Zaika moved to Kensington High Street from Fulham Road.

It went straight from being L'Anis to being Zaika under the same ownership when Jason Atherton went to Dubai for Grodon Ramsay and Zaika moved to Kensington High Street from Fulham Road.

My memory playing tricks again, thanks for clearing that up.