• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

World Cup Food: What’d’ya eat?

For the French team I would make couscous. France's favorite dish and there is the Zidane guy.  :wink:

Respectfully disagree about this one-- it's not even a French dish, more North African; I might guess for a Croque Monsieur as a "favorite" in France, although the criteria for that title would be hard to measure...

For the French team I would make couscous. France's favorite dish and there is the Zidane guy.  :wink:

Respectfully disagree about this one-- it's not even a French dish, more North African; I might guess for a Croque Monsieur as a "favorite" in France, although the criteria for that title would be hard to measure...

Nevermind.

Moderator delete this post. I shall go watch the World Cup with my countrymen. :wink:

Edited by chefzadi (log)

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Nope.Couscous is the most popular dish in France according to most polls.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Why not add nems and paella on top of the bargain. OK the French love couscous and they add merguez to it, and they could also add camembert but that wouldn't make it any frencher. Highly francized, OK.

Plain and simple, steak-frites is the thing.

Croque-monsieur is not really a dish. It's a hasty solution to a temporary problem.

Edited by Ptipois (log)

Unfortunately, leaving all other issues aside and given last night's result we may have to consider new ways to cook 'corneille ' as part of France's national dish.

I had such high hopes for them too. Corneille au vin?

Unfortunately, leaving all other issues aside and given last night's result we may have to consider new ways to cook 'corneille ' as part of France's national dish.

I had such high hopes for them too.  Corneille au vin?

Crow is best marinated, skewered and grilled KEBAB style. :smile::laugh:

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Tough act to follow, but I would like to quote the employee of the French embassy who participated in the round table discussion of the World Cup for the The Washington Post (linked up thread) that included a discussion of appropriate foods for spectators (see page 5 of online story).

In response to one question, France replied:

France: I don't know, because I'm not God.

That's why the respondent has the job, non?

And when asked about appropriate food, again, same diplomat:

I think each and every French person gathering in this occasion probably drinks beer, but again, it's a question of taste. What counts is not so much the food or drink, but to be together with the people you like.
:wink:

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Tough act to follow, but I would like to quote the employee of the French embassy who participated in the round table discussion of the World Cup for the The Washington Post (linked up thread) that included a discussion of appropriate foods for spectators (see page 5 of online story).

In response to one question, France replied:

France: I don't know, because I'm not God.

That's why the respondent has the job, non?

And when asked about appropriate food, again, same diplomat:

I think each and every French person gathering in this occasion probably drinks beer, but again, it's a question of taste. What counts is not so much the food or drink, but to be together with the people you like.
:wink:

Amen!! So what did people actually eat or are you planning to eat? For the Italy vs US a group of us got together in a Spanish restaurant and ate Paella. Nothing to do with the cuisine of the teams playing, but it has the best TV screens,and you can see a TV from any angle, plus the food's good & wine is cheap. Great time had by all.

Hope I don't get into trouble, but here's a link to an article in todays NY Times about what to drink while watching the world cup.

Not food, but close.

Times article

Personally, I'll stick to wine no matter who's playing.

Wow, wish I had seen this earlier.

Anyhow, I just finished watching Ukraine beat Switzerland on penalties, now they're going on the the quarter-finals! :biggrin: And as someone who grew up on Ukrainian food, I think I'll have to celebrate by making some cold borsch, vareneky (perogies), holubsti (cabbage rolls), and for dessert a childhood favourite my grandmother always made us, raspberry soup. :wub:

I for one am going to be eating "CurryWurst" at a local Imbiss (street vendor) here in Berlin as I head off to see the Berlin - Argentina game this friday.

Lucky You, I'm very jealous. I am very upset that I am missing so many of the matches due to the huge inconvenience of work :angry: This time difference has been killing me with not only the World Cup but also with the French Open & now Wimbledon.

Edited to add. We watched the Portugal game on Sunday in a Brazilian restaurant....I know, I know, but it was the closest thing we could find. Those Caipirinhas (sp??) go down far too easily :blink:

Edited by Jenny McClure (log)

After last night I take it all back. They were great.

As far as I'm concerned they can eat whatever they like.

Still waiting for American humble pie recipes though.

Yank

After last night I take it all back. They were great.

As far as I'm concerned they can eat whatever they like.

Still waiting for American humble pie recipes though.

Yank

I can't really say too much about the Americans eating humble pie. We (Ireland ) didn't even qualfy :shock: Shocking!!

France was terrific!

I ate all kinds of appetizers before hand while watching the dismal display. You just knew it would be scoreless & that England would lose on penalty shoot out. The sour grapes were especially tasty.

Now think an agreed upon national dish for France is imperative. Any suggestions?

July 4: Germany vs. Italy

German beer and pizza?

Penne und bratwurst mit Barbaresco? White asparagus on the side. Robiola later. (Needs more color.)

July 5: France vs. Portugal

Clams with sausage and ham (Ameijoas na Cataplana), a simple green salad and fresh fruit tart?

ETA: How come France is hosting this thread when Germany's the official host of the World Cup? :huh: A little Francophilic bias, peut-etre? :wink:

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I spent numerous hours making a fine feijoada for Saturday's match - it didn't taste as good in the face of Brasil's defeat. The caipirinhas did make the upset easier however!

Ameijoas na cataplana sounds great for Wednesday's match. I'm in! :smile:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Having started this wonderfully productive thread, I have to throw in a mid-Coup piece of advice. Do NOT go out to buy pizza one hour from the start time of the next match, everyone else will have the same idea. For some reason, the French, at least Parisian fans, love pizza with their games as much as Yanks love their potato chips.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

A little Francophilic bias, peut-etre?

No, its just that the Germans need somebody to organize them. We had John.

The caipirinhas did make the upset easier however!

What upset?

• 1 year later...

It's World Cup time again, this time for Rugby of course, and this week's 'Journal du Dimanche' noted that two Parisian institutions are celebrating. The first is Poilane who has created a Pain Poilane football made from 2,3 kg of pain de mie in the shape of a football, or rugby ball I suppose.

The second is the Bristol hotel, whose bar will be serving a special beer menu throughout the championship with beers from each country competing.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com