• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What would you do with 1.5 cups of bacon fat?

gruntermen

(Sigh) and to think I was hoping to make it to 30 before having my first heart attack ;)

So far all I've done is use it to make chili and fry up some potatoes

They seemed to be cooking too fast at the edge before I could get them really nice and crusty in the center.  Should I have used more fat?

More fat

Start slow

Smaller chunks

Did you warm up the potatoes in the fat, or warm up the fat first and then throw them in?

How high did you have the heat on the burner?

A lot of other questions :)

V

The potatoes were actually nuked in a microwave for 3 minutes before slicing. I had the pan and fan on just a little below medium for quite a while before adding the sliced potatoes and onions.

Reach out your hand if your cup be empty. If your cup is full may it be again.

-- Robert Hunter & Jerry Garcia

I like to make hassleback potatoes:

Wash and peel potatoes. Cut in thin slices without cutting quiet through; the potato

should remain whole at the bottom. (You can place the potato over two wooden spoons that are laid flat on your cutting board placed about 2 inches apart, and slice them this way! This will prevent you from cutting through the potato. It should sort of look lik an acordian.)

I then place the potato on a foil square, drizzle with EVO, a glob of smoky fat, a few garlic slivers, Kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, Fresh rosemary sprig or thyme, Wrap and bake or place on the grill or bury in the coals of my smoker!

Grilled cheese sandwiches with bitty pieces of anchovy on them. Make sure you use good sharp cheddar, otherwise it'll never hold up to the anchovie flavor. Use the bacon grease to grease your bread instead of butter.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

My dear first Mother-in-Law passed on an OLD family recipe, from back in the day when you scooped up a big old metal scoopful of sody-crackers from a barrel in the general store and picked the tomatoes from your garden five minutes before you used them. It also required a "Making" of Dinner-Plate mayonnaise, starting with one yolk, some lemon juice, salt, a few drops of grated onion juice, and an untiring hand with the fork as the oil was dropped in, drop by drop.

This was carried proudly to all Church Suppers, Meetings, Lodge gatherings, and any Potlucks and Pitchins that might occur in the slow tenor of the Summer days down South. For best presentation, the tomatoes are hollowed out, the insides mixed with the stuffing, and all piled back neatly and the heavy globes set upon a platter lined with parsley or lettuce to cushion and hold them upright. When my children were all at home, I got tired of fiddling with a dozen tomatoes, so I just peeled them all, whizzed it all in the cuisinart, and went out on the porch for iced tea.

It's still pretty, just served in a clear-glass bowl---a lovely pink, and it tastes like a creamy BLT.

Four to six large juicy tomatoes. A sleeve of saltines, crushed. Six slices of bacon, cooked crisp, drippings saved. A large glop of mayonnaise, whatever a serving spoon will grab first time in the jar. Salt and pepper.

Peel tomatoes and toss into Cuisinart. Whiz a moment, leaving small bits intact. Put in bacon drippings, mayo, salt and pepper. Whiz gently, then put in a bowl and stir in crumbs and bacon. Store in fridge a couple of hours; stir again before serving. Add more crumbs if tomatoes were especially juicy.

It's probably an acquired taste, but it's about half the reason DS#2 has spent the past few weeks tilling, digging, planting, watering, fertilizing, hoeing, caging, and murmuring gently to our two dozen tomato plants. They're waist-high and loaded with blooms, as well as several tennis-ball-size round greenies. He can't wait.