• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where-to-eat Emergency! eGulleters, Help!

forceten

It's my mom's birthday tomorrow, and we decided we'd be taking her out. All along I'd pushed for An American Grill, since I enjoyed it but haven't been there in a LONG time, and it's near her house (she lives near Route 10 in Randolph).

So I went to make a reservation today for Sunday ... and ... the man who answered the phone said they're closed on Sundays! The web site and Zagat listing both show Sunday at 1pm as the opening time - they should really update that, since I took it as gospel all week in planning something.

The problem is, my family is a pain in the rear to please (as are most, I guess!)

My grandmother likes only pasta or simple, basic foods (preferably Italian). My aunt is on a diet (sort of) similar to Atkins so she likes meats. My girlfriend prefers something healthy, and my mother and I don't care, although we usually like things a little higher on the scale, but still casual.

An American Grill was perfect.

So now, where do I go? La Strada doesn't impress me - its web site makes it look oppressively "I-talian" (we're italians but come on) and anyone who serves chicken parmagiana or francese can't be serious. My mom would hate it..

I appreciate any help... !

Thanks!!!!

It's my mom's birthday tomorrow, and we decided we'd be taking her out.  All along I'd pushed for An American Grill, since I enjoyed it but haven't been there in a LONG time, and it's near her house (she lives near Route 10 in Randolph).

So I went to make a reservation today for Sunday ... and ... the man who answered the phone said they're closed on Sundays!  The web site and Zagat listing both show Sunday at 1pm as the opening time - they should really update that, since I took it as gospel all week in planning something.

The problem is, my family is a pain in the rear to please (as are most, I guess!)

My grandmother likes only pasta or simple, basic foods (preferably Italian).  My aunt is on a diet (sort of) similar to Atkins so she likes meats.  My girlfriend prefers something healthy, and my mother and I don't care, although we usually like things a little higher on the scale, but still casual.

An American Grill was perfect.

So now, where do I go?  La Strada doesn't impress me - its web site makes it look oppressively "I-talian" (we're italians but come on) and anyone who serves chicken parmagiana or francese can't be serious.  My mom would hate it..

I appreciate any help... !

Thanks!!!!

Okay, I'll stick my neck out here:

Goodfellas might be what you want.

Link:

Goodfellas Website

If you type in Goodfellas in the search engine here there are a couple of links too that might help.

:wacko: Shoulda check that site, closed Sundays. Sorry.

Edited by AlisonA (log)

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

I haven't been in some time, but my parents really like Luzzi's Hibernia Inn in Rockaway not too far off Route 80. I think it will have the variety you're looking for. My family are meat eaters, my sister is a pasta lover, and I tend toward healthy choices (except for dessert!), and we've all found something to like in the past. And its not too far from AAG and surrounding area.

Casey

Romantico Restaurant

I suggest Romantico in Randolph on Route 10. I think it's exactly what you're looking for.

399 Route 10 East

Randolph, N.J. 07869

973-361-9048

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

i was thinking of Luzzi's as well but not sure how far you are willing to travel. here are a few possibilities though staying away from my favorite thai:

Spain Rincon in Wharton on Richard Mine Road. they don't have a website but you might try something like ardore: http://www.ardore.com to find a link

The Quiet Man in Dover http:http://www.quietmanpub.com/

Cerilli's in Randolph (Old Brookside). if they are still in business - check ardore

Black River Barn in Randolph (Rt. 10 W) http://www.blackriverbarn.com/

Rosie's Trattoria in Randolph(Sussex Turnpike). this used to be Patricia's - ardore again

La Dolce Vita in Wharton next to the Shoprite - BYO

If you want to go a bit further maybe Bell's Mansion in Stanhope (Rt. 183) or Zoe's by the Lake in Spsrta which sounds more like what your mom and you would like

http://www.zoesbythelake.com/

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Be sure to let us know where you went and how it was. :smile:

OK, so I made a bunch of suggestions, and my mother decided that she wanted to go to Bahr's Landing in Highlands!

I mean - first it was a fight to get her to go out for her birthday, and then she decides to drive an hour to Highlands! :-)

Anyway, it was fine, we ate on the water, and most of us ordered Tilapia, which was good, if a bit basic. The Manhattan Clam Chowder was actually good, as were the fried full belly clams. The place was near empty, but the server kind of hurried us to order.

Sighs.. family!!! :-)