• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cherries

I have been eying up the cherries in Whole Foods for the past two weeks. We've been living on the frozen ones for so long! The first week they were $9.99/lb. This past week, they dropped down to $7.99/lb. I had a package in my hand, but didn't take it. Yesterday, in Costco, I found 3 lb. packages of sweet cherries from California for $13.99 or $4.66/lb. As the season goes on, they carry then from the Northwest in bigger packages, even cheaper, but I could not wait. An after-dinner treat of a nice bowl of cherries is almost as good as a piece of Scharffenberger 72% bittersweet...maybe it's even as good.

By the way, I am on a mission to secure a cherry pitter this year. I would like a small hand held model that pits one at a time. I'm just going to use them in sauces or salads - not pie making. Does anyone have one that they can recommend? Where did you purchase it?

Marie

NJDuchess

I have been eying up the cherries in Whole Foods for the past two weeks.  We've been living on the frozen ones for so long!  The first week they were $9.99/lb.  This past week, they dropped down to $7.99/lb.  I had a package in my hand, but didn't take it.  Yesterday, in Costco, I found 3 lb. packages of sweet cherries from California for $13.99 or $4.66/lb.  As the season goes on, they carry then from the Northwest in bigger packages, even cheaper, but I could not wait.  An after-dinner treat of a nice bowl of cherries is almost as good as a piece of Scharffenberger 72% bittersweet...maybe it's even as good. 

By the way, I am on a mission to secure a cherry pitter this year.  I would like a small hand held model that pits one at a time.  I'm just going to use them in sauces or salads - not pie making.  Does anyone have one that they can recommend?  Where did you purchase it?

Marie

Willam Sonoma has cherry pitters.

I purchased one at Bed Bath and Beyond for less than $20 last week. Just finished using it and have a fresh cherry pie in the oven. The cherry stoner has a suction bottom for the countertop, and I pitted 4 cups of cherries in no time. It is also very easy to keep assembled and pull out for pitting a smaller quantity and clean up was very easy. I picked the last of the cherries off the tree in my backyard this morning--this is my first time making a pie with them (we typically just eat them!), so we'll see how it turns out!

Casey

Years ago my first wife and the kids would go down to the Glassboro area and pick cherries. They would come home with buckets full and then pit all of them and freeze them up. The only thing we ever used as a "pitter" was a knife. There was nothing like thawing some out in the middle of winter and putting them on some ice cream or making a pie.

Edited by Jim Charles (log)

Just for an update, I stopped in the Clifton Costco on my way back from my office this morning. They had Ranier cherries from California for $5 per pound in the 2 lb. package. I'm already into them and they are wonderful. The red cherries are also very large and very dark red and very good and still $4.66/lb in 3lb pkg.

BTW, I took a quick glance at the cook books. They had a few paperback copies of Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything. I had always wanted to pick this up and never did. Well here it was at $12.99 and I grabbed it.

Marie

NJDuchess

RANIER CHERRIES....ALERT...just now at Costco in East Hanover...expensive but for the short time they are available, they are the BEST...red and yellow...more sugar than the red variety...really yummy... :biggrin:

Where is the RT 9 Farmers Market?

Route 9!

There are two listed: One in Forked River at Lacey road and one in Smithville at Moss Mill road.

A list of farmer's markets:

http://www.ams.usda.gov/farmersmarkets/States/NewJersey.htm

I would have guessed it to be on Route 9. I guess I should have asked ..What town? Route 9 is a long road. Thanks

I'm in New Hampshire, and I just called the local farmer's market and they said that it wasn't cherry season yet.

When IS cherry season?

And if it's cherry season in New Jersey, why isn't it cherry season in New Hampshire?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'm in New Hampshire, and I just called the local farmer's market and they said that it wasn't cherry season yet.

When IS cherry season?

And if it's cherry season in New Jersey, why isn't it cherry season in New Hampshire?

Hi..The cherries at Costco come from Washington state...and I guess it is cherry season there.... :smile:

When IS cherry season?

Hi..The cherries at Costco come from Washington state...and I guess it is cherry season there.... :smile:

Ah well, there you go. That explains that.

:cool:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Actually, the RT 9 Farmer's Markets that I am referring to are the one in Old Bridge and the one in Freehold. Both, surprisingly, on RT 9!

I think there is some confusion here because when people hear "farmer's market," they tend to think of an outdoor market. I live in Marlboro, so I'm pretty sure the two markets you are referring to are indoors in strip malls. I have shopped in the Old Bridge place. It's called something like "Garden Farm" and is next door to Hollywood Video. Don't know the name of the one in Freehold and have never been to it, but it's in the mall where Burlington Coat Factory is located.