• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

good Indian cuisine?

nicole9s

I am fairly new to eating Indian food, and I'm looking for a good place to try in the Montclair/B'field/Nutley area. Non-vegetarian would be preferable.

Also, if you want to recommend your favorite Indian dishes, that would also be appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

I am fairly new to eating Indian food, and I'm looking for a good place to try in the Montclair/B'field/Nutley area.  Non-vegetarian would be preferable.

Also, if you want to recommend your favorite Indian dishes, that would also be appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

I would suggest driving down to edison, it is worth the trip, and you can get food that you really would find in india. I like masala in edison, but the city is full of authentic indian places

Nicole: If you don't want to drive to Edison, a compromise might be a trip to East Hanover to Saffron. I always enjoyed a nice meal at Taj Palace in Montclair, favorite being Chicken Mahkni. The vegetarian Udupi Village also in Montclair is great if you are craving a "starch fix." This Italian can transfer the pasta crave to dosai very easily.

Since I discovered Saffron, however, I haven't been back to Montclair. It is a white tablecloth place. The food is well-prepared and is plated for you at the table. My favorite dish is a salmon dish with a fenugreek sauce. If you like lamb, the tandor lamb chops are very flavorful. We usually skip Naan here and go for the paratha. The appetizers are all good. We've worked our way through them all. It's BYOB and on route 10 East. Make a U-Turn at the Applebees.

There is a thread about them specifically, but I'm not sure how to direct you there. A search is probably in order. By the way, they do a buffet at lunch time - weekdays and weekends. It's a great value at $8.99 (I think).

Enjoy!

Marie

NJDuchess

I'm a big fan of Saffron as well, as you'll see when you click here for the link to that thread! :biggrin:

Not far away from the Montclair area, I also like Jyoti, which is mentioned in this thread...

For a completely casual experience (as in, I'm running errands and want to grab lunch), try Indian Chef on Route 17.

And finally, India on the Hudson on Washington Street in Hoboken is another favorite of mine.

If you do a search for Indian in the NJ forum (bottom left of the main page), you'll find a LOT of discussions!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I used to like India on the Hudson as well, but the last couple of times I went it was so-so. I would not return anytime soon. The Indian in Edgewater across from Whole Foods..the name escapes me, was pretty good. I have gone twice and both times been pleased.