• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stone's Green Ginger Wine

birder53

I haven't tried that liqueur; but, one of the liquor stores I shop at keeps trying to sell me Massenez' Crème de Gingebre. I may give in one of these days.

I believe Gary Regan has a cocktail in his "New Classic Cocktails" that uses Ginger Wine and scotch.

(A couple googles later...)

Ah, yes, "The Debonaire". I've always meant to get some Ginger Wine and Highland Scotch to give it a try.

What does the recipe mean by "Highland Malt Scotch", though? Famous Grouse, OK? Or something swanker? Sorry, I know next to nothing about scotch whisky. I think the many pints of Auld Reekie washed whatever small bit I learned at the Scotch museum in Edinburgh right out of my brain. Or maybe it was the margaritas at Viva Mexico...

---

DEBONAIRE COCKTAIL

By Gary and Mardee Reagan

21/2 oz. Highland Malt Scotch

3/4 oz. Canton Ginger Liqueur

Stir both ingredients to chill and strain into a chilled martini glass. No garnish.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I just happen to have Gary's "The Joy of Mixology" out tonight. His recipe for the Debonair calls for Oban or Springbank single-malt scotch and Original Canton Delicate Ginger liqueur. He states that the drink is based upon a UK drink, the Whisky Mac which calls for scotch and green ginger wine.

He likes these two scotches for their "briny characteristics". We don't have any single-malts that fit that category, but the scotch and ginger combo sounds interesting. Maybe tomorrow.

KathyM

• 4 weeks later...

Use the Stone's to make a Whisky Mac but don't use single malts for it please.Traditionally used in a hip flask to fend off the cold at race meetings, pheasant shoots etc. in my family. Berry Bros. do a nice ginger liquer called 3 Kings, well worth buying if you see it or visit their London shop.I think Harrods also stock it.

I've tasted it straight at a west Indian wedding (didn't care for it particularly). Was treated to a whiskey mac by a Scotswoman, who ordered it mixed with Famous Grouse - she said that was the only whiskey her father used for them. THAT was delicious.

• 2 weeks later...