• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maple Oat Scones

ablosh

I've heard so much about the MAPLE OAT SCONES sold in certain Starbucks branches here in our country, but had only tried it today.

GOSH-DARN-IT-GOOD! :biggrin:

I love the maple-y, oat-y, crumbly texture of the scone! Plus, the brown sugar was just enough to sweeten, add a bit of "sandy" texture, but not too sickening-sweet.

Does anyone have a good maple oat scone recipe that's tried and tested?

(And do all scones need lots of cream? I've read a handful of recipes, and they all ask for 3/4-1C of cream...)

I am in the process of fulfilling a dream, one that involves a huge stainless kitchen, heavenly desserts and lots of happy sweet-toothed people.

this

recipe has a suggestion from a reviewer to add a cup of oats. As is the usual deal with epicurious recipes, her other modifications have made this an entirely different item, but were done to make it 'healthier'. So said, I wouldn't do many of the substitutions but adding the oats (I think pre-soaked, or add a bit more liquid) would PROBABLY achieve the crumbly effect and definately add some texture and lovely flavor.

Yep...I wanted oats and nuts in mine as well. Nowadays, I look for "texture" and chew in my food. Dunno why though...

I am in the process of fulfilling a dream, one that involves a huge stainless kitchen, heavenly desserts and lots of happy sweet-toothed people.

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

2 cups oatmeal, any type

1 cup sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 cup very cold, unsalted butter, cut into chunks

2 eggs

1/2 cup fresh orange juice

1/4 teaspoon Boyajian orange or tangerine oil (optional) or extract

1 cup raisins, plumped and well dried

I haven't tried this recipe but it's Marcy Goldman's version of Starbucks Orange Oatmeal scones. I was thinking you could use this as a place to start. I'd be tempted to sub out at least half (maybe all) of the white sugar with brown, buttermilk for the orange juice, pecans for the raisins and 1/2 - 1 tsp maple extract for the orange oil. Then I'd make a maple glaze which Marcy suggests on the orange scones as well. Use icing sugar, maple syrup, a bit of maple extract and a bit of water if you need it.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

As much as I do not like Starbuck's coffee, I love their maple oat scones, love, love, looooove them. They differ from location to location. When I do get them here in San Francisco, they tend to be a bit on the dry side, but further down to the central coast, they are moist and delicious. I have no idea why.

Here is a recipe that supposedly mimics them exactly. I will let you be the judge.

I left the ingredients as is, but changed the wording of the recipe as not to break any copyright infringement laws. I hate jails; they don't have maple oat scones.

1 cup oats (quick or old-fashioned)

1 ½ cups unbleached flour

2 tablespoons sugar

½ teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon baking powder

2 tablespoons maple syrup

2 ½ tablespoons cold butter (small pieces)

1 large egg

½ cup half-and-half or heavy cream

1/2-3/4 teaspoon maple extract

2/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans

Maple Glaze

1 ½ cups powdered sugar

½ teaspoon maple extract

5 teaspoons water

Oven to 425°F.

Grind oats in a food processor or blender.

In a mixer, mix together the flour, oats, sugar, salt and baking powder. Mix in maple syrup and butter until well combined.

In a small bowl beat together the egg with the cream: Add maple extract.

Combine the egg mixture into the flour mixture until well combined. Add pecans and continue mixing until incorporated.

Place dough on a floured work surface. Begin kneading dough shape into a 8 to 10 inch circle; cut into 8 wedges with dough blade or knife.

Place wedges on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until light brown; Let cool about 3 to 5 minutes on a wire wrack.

Maple Glaze:

Mix glaze ingredients until smooth. Use the appropriate amount of water for desired consistency, should be rather thick. Spread lots of glaze over each scone. Dry for 15 minutes before serving.

Umm , well now you guys got me all interested in this scones thingy , I never paid to much attention to everything had scone in the sentence.But I love maple , and you said moist and crumbly and ohhh mamma , I gotta to try them .

Thank you for the recepies by the way :biggrin:

Vanessa

• 4 weeks later...
:laugh: Gosh, that's the first time I've ever heard of a pastry being any good at Starbucks.

There seems to be a consensus among a lot of Seattleites that frequently Starbucks pastries LOOK a lot better than they taste. Good to know that's not always the case. :wink:

LOL... Yeah, I am even embarrassed to admit stepping foot inside a Starbucks, let alone partake in their pastries. Still, there is something about those scones that makes me crave one now and again. It is like having a pastry and pancakes all in one. Gawd, it makes me so happy. :laugh:

I forgot how much I love these type of scones!

They really are the perfect breakfast pastry, a handheld fluffy/crumbly pancake with syrup. I've always had great success with Ina Garten's recipe. The only major difference I see from the others is that she also uses some whole wheat flour, which is a great addition, in my opinion.

Ina's Maple Scone Recipe

I wanted to try the Starbucks scone, but they arn't available here. They had a cinnamon, but honestly, mine are better. Since I can't compare, I'll just have to make one of the above recipes and compare it with the Starbucks ones when I can get one. Oh, well.

I wanted to try the Starbucks scone, but they arn't available here. They had a cinnamon, but honestly, mine are better. Since I can't compare, I'll just have to make one of the above recipes and compare it with the Starbucks ones when I can get one. Oh, well.

Were not available or sold out? :laugh:

• 10 months later...

I make rocking oat scones and have found the best results using thick rolled oats, which give them a nice oaty texture. I think soaking them or making them into oat flour would make them lose their super texture. I use a mix of brown and white sugar and buttermilk (used to use cream and buttermilk, but then switched to just buttermilk for simplicity). Anyway, the trick to getting a nice crumbly texture is to add just enough liquid so that the dough just comes together then STOP THE MIXER! Too wet and you'll have muffins, too much mixing and you'll have a doughy mess. I'd be happy to dig up the recipe if anybody's interested.

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

I make rocking oat scones and have found the best results using thick rolled oats, which give them a nice oaty texture. I think soaking them or making them into oat flour would make them lose their super texture. I use a mix of brown and white sugar and buttermilk (used to use cream and buttermilk, but then switched to just buttermilk for simplicity). Anyway, the trick to getting a nice crumbly texture is to add just enough liquid so that the dough just comes together then STOP THE MIXER! Too wet and you'll have muffins, too much mixing and you'll have a doughy mess. I'd be happy to dig up the recipe if anybody's interested.

I'd love the recipe! Thanks for offering. By the way, you have a great website. I wish I lived closer so I could come visit and buy some of your awesome looking product.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

for 25 scones, about 4 oz each

Oz Oats 23

Oz Apf 37

Oz Baking powder 2.5

Oz Salt .6

Oz Brown sugar 16

Oz Buttermilk powder 1.1

Oz Butter, cold, cut into little chunks 16

Oz Egg 5

Oz Vanilla 1.5

Fl. Oz Cold water, add as needed 10

Honey butter glaze

oz honey, any variety 8

oz butter, melted

(can be refrigerated or frozen)

sorry for funky format. Anyhow, I guess forgot I use all brown sugar now. You can substitute prepared butermilk for the powder/water. I just find it's easier to have the powder on hand. I use these to make a sandwich style scone around frozen blackberries (or peaches with a little cinnamon & sugar) I am sure you could add toasted nuts or dried fruits. Yum.

So in stand mixer, put oats, all dry and butter and blend until resembles coarse meal. Add eggs & vanilla, then water (or prepared buttermilk) until desired consistency is reached.

Let rest for 5-10 mins then roll and cut into triangles. Let chill then bake about 350 for 20-25 mins until they're golden and center springs back quickly. Let cool 5 mins then brush with honey butter glaze. Glaze works best when it's not all the way melted when it goes on.

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

If you ask at any Starbucks, they should be able to give you at least an ingredient list of what is in the Maple Oat Nut Scones, which would give you an idea of the ratio of ingredients. That way you may be able to tweak a couple of recipes to get the result that you are looking for.

However, be warned - a full sized Maple Oat Nut Scone at Starbucks weighs in at well over 600 calories (if I remember correctly it was closer to 700 calories, but it's been awhile). They have since made them slightly smaller, so that helps, but those babies pack in the calories. (That's true for most of the pastries there as well).