• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nutella-like?

thegreatdane

Nutella-like spreadable cream is made with hazelnut paste ( I used almond once , but I dont have a blender that makes such a fine paste, you can buy it ),sugar , vegetable fats ( in nutella are hydrogenated :sad: ,so you can choose something different )lecithin,milk powder,chocolate or cacao .The formula is up to what you have and what you want to obtain.The more hazelnut paste you use the creamier will be , if you decide to use chocolate instead of cocoa powder it will tend to be a little more solid ,but that depends on how much nut paste you will be using .The almond version made with Caoba el rey is quite nice .

Edited by Desiderio (log)

Vanessa

The Italian name for this sort of Hazelnut Chocolate paste is, "Gianduja".

I believe it is diffcult to make without commercial equipment.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Starting with roasted hazelnuts and a food processor, you're never gonna get the smooth creamy texture you get in Nutella. At least, I never could. You gotta start with a premade paste, like Desiderio said. Unfortunately, both hazelnut paste and hazelnut praline paste are so expensive.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I make something like nutella by melting equal amounts of chocolate morsels and a nut or seed butter together in the microwave. I use a sunflower seed butter that is already sweetened.

It's not exactly but it's the closest I can get using things that I can bring into the house.

Cheryl

The Italian name for this sort of Hazelnut Chocolate paste is, You gotta start with a premade paste, like Desiderio said. Unfortunately, both hazelnut paste and hazelnut praline paste are so expensive.

hazelnut's are at record highs at the moment - most of what's in the US comes from turkey (just south of the sea), from two main growing areas. they've had issues the last year. While prices are very high now, you can expect to see fairly decent declines in the near future.

Edited by Sebastian (log)

Trader Joe's sells "Cocoa Hazelnut Spread", which is just like Nutella, but with no hydrogenated oil. Ingredients: Sugar, hazelnuts, sunflower and hazelnut oils, cocoa powder, whey powder, milk powder, soy lecithin.

Kelsey

The Italian name for this sort of Hazelnut Chocolate paste is, You gotta start with a premade paste, like Desiderio said. Unfortunately, both hazelnut paste and hazelnut praline paste are so expensive.

hazelnut's are at record highs at the moment - most of what's in the US comes from turkey (just south of the sea), from two main growing areas. they've had issues the last year. While prices are very high now, you can expect to see fairly decent declines in the near future.

one could also take a break from globalization and go with Oregon grown hazelnuts.

not sure how expensive they are out-of-state tho.

flavor floozy

My fellow Pacific Northwest colleague beat me to it: eat hazelnuts grown in Oregon! I have not tried to make my own Nutella since I can get it for relatively cheaply from either Trader Joe's or Costco.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

I'm leaning towards a high quality nutritious recipe; low sugar, no hydrogenated fats, pure ingredients. I'll experiment with various nutbutters and chocolates; half and half is a good starting point. Neither is inexpensive. I guess that's why the first ingredient in commercial nut spreads is sugar. "Here kiddie, kiddie, kiddie..."

Starting with roasted hazelnuts and a food processor, you're never gonna get the smooth creamy texture you get in Nutella. At least, I never could. You gotta start with a premade paste, like Desiderio said. Unfortunately, both hazelnut paste and hazelnut praline paste are so expensive.

yes, you can achive a very good result with a coffe grinder.

I have a good recipe but I am not allowed to post recipes in this forum, right?

And I don't like to post in the recipe box, I find so unpersonal. So the greatdane, if you want pm me and I will translate it for you.

Edited by Franci (log)

And I don't like to post in the recipe box, I find so unpersonal. So the greatdane, if you want pm me and I will translate it for you.

I have tried with a food processor, and ground for like literally half and hour, and still never got a result as creamy (or delicious, IMHO) as Nutella, so I would be surprised if a coffee grinder makes a big difference. But I'm willing to try anything, so please do post the recipe! The ingredients you can post as is, just put the directions into your own words.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I have tried with a food processor, and ground for like literally half and hour, and still never got a result as creamy (or delicious, IMHO) as Nutella, so I would be surprised if a coffee grinder makes a big difference. But I'm willing to try anything, so please do post the recipe! The ingredients you can post as is, just put the directions into your own words.

Coffee grinder (good for extra-fine ground like espresso) will give you a better result than food processor.

For this recipe I have to thank Mr. Fabio Fongoli,

Cocoa butter 30 g (optional)

cocoa powder, good quality 100 g

white chocolate 400 g

dark chocolate or bittersweet 200 g

hazelnut paste 200 g (use coffee grinder to make the hazelnut paste)

rice oil or grapeseeds, anything with light taste about 200g

Melt in a bain marie all the ingredients except the oil, very carefully. Then add the oil out of the stove. It will look very runny, but if you give it a little time, will harden. If you refrigerate it gets too hard, better to keep it outside.

I had to increase the amount of oil a little bit to get to the right consistency, but do not add too much or with become grainy. Far better than nutella.

Edited by Franci (log)

Thanks so much for posting the recipe, Franci. I look forward to trying it soon. If it really does give a result as creamy as Nutella, I'll be delighted.

Coffee grinder (good for extra-fine ground like espresso) will give you a better result than food processor.

For this recipe I have to thank Mr. Fabio Fongoli,

Cocoa butter 30 g (optional)

cocoa powder, good quality 100 g

white chocolate 400 g

dark chocolate or bittersweet 200 g

hazelnut paste 200 g (use coffee grinder to make the hazelnut paste)

rice oil or grapeseeds, anything with light taste about 200g

Melt in a bain marie all the ingredients except the oil, very carefully. Then add the oil out of the stove. It will look very runny, but if you give it a little time, will harden. If you refrigerate it gets too hard, better to keep it outside.

I had to increase the amount of oil a little bit to get to the right consistency, but do not add too much or with become grainy. Far better than nutella.

Patrick, I think you used Gianduja, in a recipe recently, and I am wondering if I use the recipe that were talking about here, if that would work in any recipe requiring Gianduja?

Patrick, I think you used Gianduja, in a recipe recently, and I am wondering if I use the recipe that were talking about here, if that would work in any recipe requiring Gianduja?

Hmm. Well I've used Gianduja chocolate before, but not recently. And I haven't tried Franci's recipe yet, so I can't say how soft it turns out. So, maybe/maybe not. I'll be sure to post how the recipe turns out for me after I try it, though.

Hmm. Well I've used Gianduja chocolate before, but not recently. And I haven't tried Franci's recipe yet, so I can't say how soft it turns out. So, maybe/maybe not. I'll be sure to post how the recipe turns out for me after I try it, though.

Thanks, because that stuff is hard to find other than on the internet. Its also rather pricey if my memory serves me right.

Edited by oli (log)

I saw Jacques Torres make hazelnut paste in a food processor on TV once but could never reproduce it either. I concluded he must have been using much fresher (higher moisture/oil content) nuts than I was able to pick up at Trader Joe's.

Dear Franci,

Thank you for posting a very enticing recipe. I like that it uses both dark and white chocolates, instead of just milk chocolate. The flavor notes will be stronger and more distinct. It may also lack a caramel tone so familiar in milk chocolate.

I'll look forward to trying that recipe. I'm also experimenting with sunflower butter as it's non-allergenic. That's a concern for some, but I'll be concentrating on flavor and purity first.

Anyone try almond, pecan, or other butters? It seems the possibilities are endless.

I did my cream with the almonds ( reduced in butter in a small powerfull food processor ) and I used a great flavourfull milk chocolate ( the El Rey Caoba ).The flavor is outsdtanding ,I want to try the hazelnut though they are more wxpensive and harder to find here.

Vanessa

I tried Franci's recipe last night, and while it tasted great and the grind was finer than I got with the food processor, it was not as smooth as Nutella or commerical hazelnut paste, even though I put the nuts through many cycles of grinding, dumping and regrinding in the coffee grinder.

Sorry Patrick, I don't know what to suggest to get a better result but I did manage to get my cream as smooth as nutella.

For who doesn't mind to spend some money, at Buonitalia (Chelsea Mkt, NY) they do sell if I recall the hazelnut paste from "le langhe", famous for the nocciola gentile.

http://www.buonitalia.com/

I couldn't find it on line, but I did see it in the store last year.