• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edible Communities Newsletters

I was just wondering if there's been any thought given to the idea of an annual "Best of Edible Communites" publication featuring articles selected from among all the regional magazines?

SB (would buy one) :smile:

Don't think so, though there has been occasional talk of a cookbook. I'll send your idea up the chain. Meanwhile, the best of our stuff can often be found at the Edible Blog - EdibleNation.com

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

Ontario's Golden Horseshoe (which includes Toronto) is definitely ripe for a magazine which will celebrate its bounty. I'm confident that it will be very well received.

Sounds intriguing. Any idea what stories you'll do for a first issue? and do you have a launch date in mind yet?

Ontario's Golden Horseshoe (which includes Toronto) is definitely ripe for a magazine which will celebrate its bounty. I'm confident that it will be very well received.

Sounds intriguing. Any idea what stories you'll do for a first issue? and do you have a launch date in mind yet?

The winter can be a challenge for "locavores" in the northern climes. Here in Iowa we handled our first winter issue by talking about a lot of meat.

Just to keep everyone up to date:

Edible Atlanta and Edible Rhody just launched, and these edibles are due to arrive later this year:

Seattle

Piedmont

Memphis

Shasta-Butte

Hawaiian Islands

Jersey

Austin

Links to all the Edibles can be found here

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

• 2 weeks later...
The winter can be a challenge for "locavores" in the northern climes.  Here in Iowa we handled our first winter issue by talking about a lot of meat.

Just to keep everyone up to date:

Edible Atlanta and Edible Rhody just launched, and these edibles are due to arrive later this year:

Seattle

Piedmont

Memphis

Shasta-Butte

Hawaiian Islands

Jersey

Austin

Links to all the Edibles can be found here

Add Toronto to the list. I'm definitely in, and I was fortunate to meet with Tracey and Carole last week at the IACP conference in Chicago, as well as your partner Wendy and Renee, Pamela, Dianne, Doug and Robert. What an incredible group of people! Looking forward to meeting all the rest of you - if not at my launch sometime in mid-September (hopefully), then in Charleston next January.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just recieved my Spring 2007 issue of edible Iowa River Valley and would like to compliment its multi-talented Editor, Chef Michael Friese, on his photography skills for the beautiful cover shot of Hands in Dirt :biggrin: !

SB (whose garden is not even tilled yet! :shock: )

Edited by srhcb (log)

• 1 month later...

One of Edible San Francisco's writers gets a plug in today's Times

"Ms. Guarnaschelli is working on a book with Andy Griffin, a farmer in

Watsonville, Calif., who wrote for The Santa Cruz Sentinel and now

contributes to Edible San Francisco, one of 30 free magazines focused

on local food scenes published by Edible Communities. The magazines

have become the unofficial literary journals of the farmer-writer

movement."

Read the whole story here

Awful kind thing for them to say - "the unofficial literary journals of the farmer-writer

movement"

Didn't even know there was such a movement, but we sure are pleased to be a part of it!

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

• 1 month later...

The Summer issue of edible Iowa River Valley showed up today, and I get a feeling the magazine has really reached it's stride. (Of course, what would you expect from a publication covering food in Iowa in summer?)

I just have to mention my favorite feature; "Great Great Grandmother Peterson's Recipe For Vinegar Candy", from Ella Peterson's family cookbook:

3 Cups of sugar

1 1/2 Cups vinegar

Stir sugar and vinegar together on low heat to hardball stage

Pour onto buttered plate

When cooled, pull until candy is white and firm

Snip into pieces

WOW! :biggrin: Simplicity itself.

Other recipes for Vinegar Candy I've seen were more complicated, usually containing butter and flavorings.

I can see trying this with different kinds of vinegar? :hmmm:

SB (Maybe "Nona" Peterson's :laugh: Balsamic Vinegar Candy?

Edited by srhcb (log)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Oh, and the main Edible website has undergone a makeover.  Looks good.

I wrote them via the site a couple months ago, as a friend and I would very much like to set up an Edible Silicon Valley. I never heard back. Is there a preferred form of communication?

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, and the main Edible website has undergone a makeover.  Looks good.

I wrote them via the site a couple months ago, as a friend and I would very much like to set up an Edible Silicon Valley. I never heard back. Is there a preferred form of communication?

Very sorry for my delayed response as well. I've been away from this board for a while. I can hook you up with the right people if you'd like to drop me a PM or an eMail. I'm on k.friese (at) MCHSI (dot) com

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com