• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edible Communities Newsletters

Share a bit more information, folks. What January meeting?

I'll see ya there! Can't wait - never been to Portland.

If it's in Portland Maine, "Edible Coastal Maine" better think about issuing that Autumn '06 issue pretty soon...

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Share a bit more information, folks. What January meeting?

OK, sure.

We have an annual meeting of all the Edible owners all all over the country. This time it'll be in Portland, Oregon. We eat good food and discuss publishing techniques, network, etc., the usual annual meeting stuff.

And Jonnyd - I'll see if I can find out what the hold-up is on Edible Maine. Meanwhile perhaps the answer is at their website or at the edible nation blog

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

The second issue of Edible Coastal Maine, the "Holiday" issue, is now out. You can check it out and read several of its articles online at:

www.ediblecoastalmaine.com

I wrote the cheese article - let me know what you think!

Everything does look really good.

Can you tell me why you chose to post sample articles as PDF files instead of HTML? I've always found pdf's inconvenient to download, and I think it would reduce the readership.

On our site, we've posted just a few of the sample articles, linked from a mock-up of the table of contents. I think it's much more user friendly.

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

Thanks for looking, and for the feedback. I am not sure why the ECM publishers chose pdf vs. html for the website's articles. I write for them and help with copyediting, but leave the technical stuff to others! I will ask though, the next time I'm in touch...

• 4 weeks later...

Ia sked about pdfs in Portland, and many of the editors like them better because they find them easier to post rather than programming them in html. To each his own I supose.

Our winter issue is at the printers! We're all very excited 'round here i can tell you. You can see a preview of it HERE

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

Thanks, we like it too. Vogue has cover girls, we have cover pigs. It is Iowa, after all.

By the by, don;t think I mentioned, I got the rice. Thanks a bunch! Your first issue should arrive Friday or so.

In our next issue (May) we'll be announcing a pie recipe contest in honor of RAGBRAI (the Register's Annual Great Bicycle Rida Across Iowa). Lance Armstrong is coming again this year. I'm not gonna try to keep up with him, but I am hoping to get a picture of him eating pie for the August issue.

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

I've been shooting a "Back of the House" series for Edible Brooklyn, the latest edition was of applewood Restaurant in the Park Slope area of Brooklyn, NY.

I was super excited to find a copy of Edible Brooklyn at the Brooklyn Kitchen in Williamsburg.

And I was thrilled to see your BOH photos, harlanturk! Having become familiar with your work through eGullet, it was cool to see it in the magazine.

I think the Edible Communities mags are a good and much-needed force for change in the way our society views its food resources.

I just received my first copy of Edible Iowa River Valley, bringing to four the number of regional publications in the Edible Communities Family I've seen. (Edible Twin Cities is my local magazine, and I recieved copies of Edible East Bay & Edible San Francisco from my cousin in Alameda.

They share a common format, but even based on my limited exposure, I can tell they all have a distinct local flavor.

The Winter 2007 issue of Edible Iowa River Valley contains interesting articles on a Prosciutto maker in Norwalk, IA, buying meat locally and having it custom processed, the somewhat begrudging acceptance of organic meat in rural Iowa, and efforts to reintroduce bison and elk to the State.

If I've given you the impression the publication is just about meat, that tells you more about me than the magazine. I will admit though, that it was in the article "Nice to Meat You", (hey, this is Iowa, remember :wink: ), by Leah Wilson, that I encountered the word "beeves" for the first time. It's, the plural of beef! :huh:

The cover photo of a fabulous pig, and several of the other pictures, are the work of the magazine's apparently multi-talented Editor-In-Chief, Chef Kurt Michael Friese, (aka eGullet poster Devotay).

I look forward to reading future issues of Edible Iowa, and hopefully obtaining copies of the regional magazines from other members of the Edibles Community.

Maybe eGullet members from around the country could organize a trade?

SB :cool:

Thanks for the kind words, and glad you enjoyed it.

The Edible communities around the country are currently working on setting up a package deal, in which one could get a discount by subscribing to more than 1 (4 is the working number right now). Will let you know if/when it comes to pass.

Oh, and "beeves" was new to me, too. I was surprised to discover that it is indeed correct!

Thanks again!

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

The quarterly Edible Rhody is being launched this spring by publisher Alex Corcoran, who apparently has just moved to RI (brief bio here). The launch party is at Gracie's in a couple of weeks; I'll post a report here on the event.

The media kit lists some pretty hefty ad rates (click). Are these typical for the other Edible newsletters?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

The media kit lists some pretty hefty ad rates (click). Are these typical for the other Edible newsletters?

The rates vary widely. Since each magazine is individually and locally owned, each sets its own rates. My rates are lower, but mine is also a smaller market. I did research with other publications in the area and priced our ads competitively. I can only assume Alex did the same.

Thus far, our advertisers have been thrilled with the magazine's quality and with the response they've been getting. I'm sure that the same will be true for Edible Rhody when their first issue hits the stands in April.

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

• 4 weeks later...

I'm very proud to announce that Edible Communities has just been named a finalist for the IACP Award of Excellence in the Consumer Educations and Communication Materials category, which

Recognizes excellence of materials created and printed during 2006 by or for a corporate, small business or cooking school members.

See the announcement and all the other nominees for this prestigious award here.

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

I'm very proud to announce that Edible Communities has just been named a finalist for the IACP Award of Excellence in the Consumer Educations and Communication Materials category, which

Recognizes excellence of materials created and printed during 2006 by or for a corporate, small business or cooking school members.

See the announcement and all the other nominees for this prestigious award here.

That is exciting news, Kurt! I am hoping to launch the first Canadian Edible here in Toronto; the contract should be arriving any day.

I will be at the IACP conference in Chicago and look forward to meeting Tracey there. Are any other Edible publishers/editors planning to be there?

In the meantime, do you have any words of wisdom for a probable new Edible publisher/editor? Am I crazy to think that I can do it on my own with no prior publishing experience? Any advice would be appreciated (note: I can be emailed directly - see my profile).

Good for you, FG.  Happy to hear that Edible is getting a foothold in the Great White North.

I just came from shooting a launch in Memphis, had a great time.  Hopefully when you get ready for your launch, I'll get to come shoot there too.

Ontario's Golden Horseshoe (which includes Toronto) is definitely ripe for a magazine which will celebrate its bounty. I'm confident that it will be very well received.

I was just wondering if there's been any thought given to the idea of an annual "Best of Edible Communites" publication featuring articles selected from among all the regional magazines?

SB (would buy one) :smile: