• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dessert for the mega-allergic

Trishiad

I think I'll have them both over this Summer to make gelato if Kerry has a recipe that will work.

Last time I was in Whole Foods in Santa Ana, they carried a line of freeze dried fruit pieces that were crunchy and flavourful. As long as you keep them dry they keep their crunch.

Mango Gelato (or is it Gelati) actually I think this one is a sorbet

Make a syrup of one part water and one part sugar. Bring to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes. Cool.

Puree 2 nice ripe mangos, add enough water to bring up to about 1 cup. I usually put this through the finest plate on the food mill to remove any stringy bits. Add a couple of tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice.

Place in a narrow deep container and place a clean, uncooked egg in the liquid (don't crack the egg into the mixture, just place the uncracked egg in). Add syrup until the egg floats showing a crown somewhere between the size of a dime and a quarter. This mixture will then be at the correct density to make a nice sorbet. You will probably be adding about 1 1/4 cups of syrup. Add about 1 tbsp of corn syrup and a pinch of salt.

Chill until cold, churn in ice cream freezer until frozen.

The egg trick is from Madeline Kamnan's - The New Making of a Cook.

Could you use a sugar substitue like Whey Low or Splenda in place of real sugar? That way, you could do the crumble or cobbler. I second the recommendation of the gluten-free flour as well. Also, the mango with sticky rice is a good idea, and I've never come across a kid who didn't like it.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

Could you use a sugar substitue like Whey Low or Splenda in place of real sugar? That way, you could do the crumble or cobbler. I second the recommendation of the gluten-free flour as well. Also, the mango with sticky rice is a good idea, and I've never come across a kid who didn't like it.

Sticky rice is always a hit.

And you don't necessarily have to use mango. Go for a fruit that's sweet, almost rich, preferably custardy and you're good to go. Durian (maybe not), even custard apple might work out.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

But while I got that the Mom seemed a bit wishy washy saying sugar was 'not so good'. I also see the other side that people who have real allergies with flour know that you can get residual flour into your product from the enviroment. Like a bakery for example where it's used all the time type of thing. Or a home where it was used recently.

Sometimes you need a 'clean room' too.

Sounds like they are doing more of an elimination diet. I mean she may certainly have known allergies, but it sounds like they are narrowing the list of possible allergens down by trial and error. It actually is a whole control thing. Got the t-shirt on.

I wouldn't hardly atempt to make anything for her myself. But you are brave and good for forging ahead. I would find out what the Mom allows her to have off the shelf--like a certain candy or something purchase-able that I would not be responsible for if it bothered the little girl in some way. And I would let them open it too. I would make it the exact product the Mom told me to purchase for her. It has the potential to set you back a couple weeks of testing if that's what the Mom's doing.

That's what I would do.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Sticky rice is always a hit.

And you don't necessarily have to use mango. Go for a fruit that's sweet, almost rich, preferably custardy and you're good to go. Durian (maybe not), even custard apple might work out.

I'm not quite sure that little American kids would like durian. :laugh: Although, you're right about the fruit not needing to be magoes. I bet peaches or apricots would be really good with sticky rice as well as custard apple.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

Okay, just to set the record straight, Mom didn't ask me to make something special and when I asked blondie she said I should bring whatever I wanted because even if she couldn't eat it, the "crowd" would enjoy it. Man! It's hard to believe she's only 6. So, you see, I really do have to make something for her because she deserves it and because it's not impossible. I don't think Mom is being controlling just because. I think blondie gets really f'ing sick and they're trying to keep her well. She is So cute!

Going with a coconut milk rice pudding with tropical fruit compote and a honey toasted coconut garnish.

All I need to know now is:

granulated fructose

or

stevia

and do I use the same amount as I would sugar?

Stevia is an acquired taste. If you don't acquire it just right it tastes like pure shit.

My apologies to any Stevia lovers.

I certainly did not acquire the right taste.

But maybe little Blondie did.

<< choke, choke :sad: cough, sputter >>

...I don't think Mom is being controlling just because...  I think blondie gets really f'ing sick and they're trying to keep her well.  She is So cute!

Yeah, I get it. My kid was sick too and that's what yah gotta do sometimes. And I think it's awesome you're doing this despite the challenges. I'm well passed 50 and have no patience left for it, but sure btdt.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

sorry!  sometimes i type first, think later...BUT...this is a little girl and she has tons of allergies...so then, on a special occasion her parents want little to no sugar as well?!  cut the girl some slack (unless she has diabetes) and let her enjoy something special that someone so obviously wants to make so that she can actually eat it along with everyone else instead of having to sit by and watch.  a professional, no less, who would make something delicious that would accommodate her allergies.  but there are other threads for this discussion.

Believe it or not, you can be allergic to sugar. Most granulated sugar comes from sugar cane or beets, and if you're allergic to one of those, you can have problems with sugar coming from that source.

In brief defense of Alana, she knows the area that I live in and it's true we have a lot of parents who are quite strict about what their kids consume.  This one really is terribly allergic though, her big sis eats like everyone else.

I was thinking about that jello mold too but wonder if rice milk really will sub well.  Also, when she does get a treat it's jello.  I was hoping to expand her sweets options a bit.

FoodieMom, it like the idea of a cobbler.  Do you think I could make it with less sugar and still get a decent crumble?  The recipe calls for xantham gum, what does it do? Do I need it?

Oh, I know how that goes... I just live a bit Southeast from you and there are a lot of folks with that same kind of mentality... actually it's the extremes here... the people who feed their kids tons of junk, and the ones who are the militant granola crunchers.

Xantham gum kind of makes up for the lack of gluten in gluten free recipes. I've seen recipes using guar gum or gelatin instead. Gluten free baking is a lot more like a chemistry experiment than making with wheat flour.

Cheryl

Okay, just to set the record straight, Mom didn't ask me to make something special and when I asked blondie she said I should bring whatever I wanted because even if she couldn't eat it, the "crowd" would enjoy it.  Man! It's hard to believe she's only 6.  So, you see, I really do have to make something for her because she deserves it and because it's not impossible.  I don't think Mom is being controlling just because.  I think blondie gets really f'ing sick and they're trying to keep her well.  She is So cute!

Going with a coconut milk rice pudding with tropical fruit compote and a honey toasted coconut garnish.

All I need to know now is:

granulated fructose

or

stevia

and do I use the same amount as I would sugar?

i've tasted stevia and without having tasted granulated fructose, i would say use the fructose! hehehe

definitely use a lot less than the sugar and then taste. the sticky rice thing isn't like real baking so you can adjust as you deem necessary. you're the best trish. this little girl sounds so cute. are you already doing some matchmaking? :wink:

matchmaking, me? oh, you know it. my blue eyed boy with that blondie haired girl......

Mom says to use Stevia. So, I'm gonna grab some from a friend who owns a GNC

store and I'm going to try about 1/4 teaspoon in place of the 1/2 cup sugar. Apparently, some stevia tastes like the actual herb with a licorice sort of flavor and some of it has been rendered flavorless, we'll see.....making it next weekend and will post then.

thanks all

Mom says to use Stevia.  So, I'm gonna grab some from a friend who owns a GNC

store and I'm going to try about 1/4 teaspoon in place of the 1/2 cup sugar.  Apparently, some stevia tastes like the actual herb with a licorice sort of flavor and some of it has been rendered flavorless, we'll see.....making it next weekend and will post then.

thanks all

I've seen stevia at Trader Joes and Whole Paycheck too.

Cheryl

Okay, just to set the record straight, Mom didn't ask me to make something special and when I asked blondie she said I should bring whatever I wanted because even if she couldn't eat it, the "crowd" would enjoy it.  Man! It's hard to believe she's only 6.  So, you see, I really do have to make something for her because she deserves it and because it's not impossible.  I don't think Mom is being controlling just because.  I think blondie gets really f'ing sick and they're trying to keep her well.  She is So cute!

Actually, it happens more often than you'd think. My baby brother was asthmatic (going to the doctor every two weeks to a month) and at the same age, he'd do the same. If given chocolates, he'd bring them home and hand them over to me without being told he couldn't eat it.

That sounds yummylicious!

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Just home from a nice potluck. Brought a pile of cognac truffles (left over from Father's Day production) and something I call "Golden Girl Parfait". Didn't manage to snap a photo (I know, I suck) because I was trying to get my 4 year old clean and keep him clean and assemble the dessert and remember to apply a little lip gloss.....you know the drill.

Super Delish, loved by all. Ridiculously easy to make and could be altered in countless ways.

1 cup Basmati Rice

40.5 oz (3 cans) Coconut milk

2-3 grams NuStevia (got mine from GNC in little packets, no strange flavor at all)

1 teaspoon vanilla

dump rice, stevia and 2 1/2 cans coconut milk in a pot, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes (until rice is soft), stirring now and then. Turn off heat and add vanilla and more coconut milk if needed. Toss in fridge.

Slice 1/2 of a ripe pineapple and 3 mangos and saute until soft. add the zest of one lime. Toss in fridge.

1/3 cup unsweetened coconut, some honey, and the ground seeds of 2 cardamom pods on a sheet into a 350 oven for 10 minutes or lightly browned. Remove from oven, it will crisp as it cools.

Layer tropical fruit compote and rice pudding in a glass dish and top with coconut crumble.

thanks for all your help gang.

Thanks for the update Trish! I hope that blondie and her mom appreciated the dessert and that everyone was happy in the end. It sounds like it turned out great and sounds delish! You'll have to develop a whole repertoire of these desserts if you can get your son to marry blondie...hehehe in twenty years, that is!