• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Time to let the cat out of the bag

Chris Cognac

we are doing DC in October and I ate the Chili Sunday at Blvd Diner along with a bite of the goat cheese burger, a fried pickle and the crab cake sliders...it was a great segment and the chef could be my brother we look so much alike...it was strange....We are in Miami, shot 14 hrs today trying to beat the hurricane that is coming....still have 2 places to shoot....I am beat as its day 15 of 12 hr shoot days....plus the sun is kicking my ass...we do alot of driving scenes in a convertable....being a bald guy that is not a good thing...but it looks cool!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Chris, I just got a chance to watch the final episode of "Feasting" that you were on. Between the two of you I was laughing throughout the whole thing.

I personally would have paid for dinner if I could have just been a fly on the wall listening to you and Alton while you were in Atlanta.

If you make your way back down here give Alton a call and dinners on me!

we are doing DC in October and I ate the Chili Sunday at Blvd Diner along with a bite of the goat cheese burger, a fried pickle and the crab cake sliders...it was a great segment and the chef could be my brother we look so much alike...it was strange....We are in Miami, shot 14 hrs today trying to beat the hurricane that is coming....still have 2 places to shoot....I am beat as its day 15 of 12 hr shoot days....plus the sun is kicking my ass...we do alot of driving scenes in a convertable....being a bald guy that is not a good thing...but it looks cool!

All I can say is SPF 45, sweetie, and slather it on good! Blessings on you guys, and hope that you finish before Ernesto arrives...

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Hey Chris!  Congratulations!!  Outstanding!

Albuquerque/ Santa Fe for chile comparisons!  Tri-cultural fusion foods: Native/Hispanic/ Anglo......

Please. No more shows on chili comparisons!!! :wink:

Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness. - Maya Angelou

Ditto, Chris, for Houston.  If there is anything that I can help with for your shoot in Houston, please don't hesitate to call.  If you're looking for fairly Houston specific restaurants (smaller scale versus the famous ones, the ones that always get listed in Zagat's) here are the ones that I always expose out of town visitor friends to:

Williams Smokehouse for smoked ribs

The Tampico for snapper a la plancha

El Hidalguense for maguey smoked lamb shoulder

Sylvia's Enchilada Kitchen for stacked enchiladas

The original Ninfa's on Navigation

Himalaya for the best naan in town

Caspian for Persian food

Mai's Kitchen for fun Vietnamese food

The food courts at Hong Kong City Mall for Banh Xeo and Pho

Jasmine for the Vietnamese fish seven ways

Raindrop Chocolate for gelato

Santong snacks for dumplings and noodle soups

Shri Balaji Bhavan for southern Indian specialties

Lopez for Tex-Mex

Not sure if you've been in town yet (I just got to this thread) but I just wanted to add to Jay's list.

Sinh Sinh for the best live seafood in town, plus serving both Chinese/Vietnamese food (and also the most exotic/fresh)

Luling City Market for BBQ

The Breakfast Klub for a great southern breakfast

Sam's Diner Deli for a nice greasy burger. Or if you're in the Seabrook area-- Tookies.

I would choose Don Cafe over Givral Hoang for Banh Mi, but both are good.

I second, third, and fourth Himalaya. It's become a weekly addiction for my girlfriend and I. They have great food and as Jay pointed out, the best naan in town.

Peking Cuisine or Shanghai Cuisine (it's actually cantonese) for Chinese, depending on what type of Chinese you want.

Niko Niko's for Greasy Greek food.

If you want to go healthy-- Hobbit Cafe has very good food (especially if you like avacado) plus it's just fun because it's basically dedicated to Lord of the Rings.

Montrose Cafe for a wonderful hole in the wall, Belgium experience.

Frenchie's for fried chicken.

Most of the good, small places I know are in Chinatown (being Chinese) though I would suggest checking out a lot of the small Mexican places here too. Much of the Asian and Mexican food here in Houston is second to none. The thing here with Chinatown is that it's a mix of Chinese and Vietnamese-- and most of the places show it in the menu... also responding from upthread the signs there are actually mostly chinese with certain areas being more vietnamese like Hong Kong Market. Either way, it's a bit hard to navigate and know exactly what you're getting if you can't read either or don't know the area. If you need any more suggestions feel free to PM me. I'd love to help out.

Edited to add that we have bad ass Korean food too.

Edited by tetsujustin (log)

We leave Miami for home in a few hrs...WE do DC and NYC the week of the 18th and then a few weeks after in mid Oct we do Houston and Chicago and thaats it...yea! I am so tired, this filming stuff is actually work...plus we filmed a damn segment right through Ernesto...but damn that place was great (canela, a neat strip mall tapas place)...we did Sango Jamaican-Chinese yesterday to wrap the shoot up.....I cant belive I have been on the road for 17 day and 4 cities....whew!

Dont forget, the show starts Oct 17 at 1030 pm...the promo's should start showing up on food net soon

The Hungry Detective

We leave Miami for home in a few hrs...WE do DC and NYC the week of the 18th and then a few weeks after in mid Oct we do Houston and Chicago and thaats it...yea! I am so tired, this filming stuff is actually work...plus we filmed a damn segment right through Ernesto...but damn that place was great (canela, a neat strip mall tapas place)...we did Sango Jamaican-Chinese yesterday to wrap the shoot up.....I cant belive I have been on the road for 17 day and 4 cities....whew!

Dont forget, the show starts Oct 17 at 1030 pm...the promo's should start showing up on food net soon

Glad to hear you made it thru OK! We up here in northern Broward Co. barely got touched, thank the powers that be... Hope the rest of your schedule goes well. I look foreward to the show! :wub:

*happy dance*

I was watching Food TV in the middle of the night again. I was bored, what can I say?

Anyway, I saw an ad for a new show: "The Hungry Detective" (as you've written above). I got excited because I knew it had to be you! I logged in just to say that.

Carry on.

:)

Beverly

Wow, I have heard from one other person that ad's were running....what did they look like, I have not seen one yet and am dying too....please do tell....even though its my show I am usually the last person to know anything about it....oh and did you like the ad?

Chris

The Hungry Detective

Chris,

I've seen it a couple of times today (having decided to spend the holiday weekend in bed, with a flu/cold combo :angry: ). It's a crime-scene motif - chalk outlines of various recognizable foods on the pavement ending with a pair of shoes (gum shoes, presumably, if I have my detective novel vernacular right). "The Hungry Detective" (red letters) and 'coming in October' (or something like that) is the cutaway. Sorry I can't be more descriptive - I'm drifting in and out a lot. I'll try to at least remember what the outlined foods are and figure out what the background noise is - it was distinctive enough to shake me out of my semi-sleep the second time, in time to see the graphic at the end, but I couldn't tell you what it was. I'm guessing typical crime scene-type noise but it's just a guess.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I agree with moosnsqrl's description.

It's funny that it came on when it did, because the TV had been on in the background nearly all day and it was the first time I saw it. Makes me wonder if it was the first time they showed it or if I just wasn't paying attention. :)

Unfortunately I remember very little aside from the nighttime lighting and the crime scene look and of course the chalk outlines. I don't remember many of the foods, but I remember the cupcake and the banana, the latter of which had its skin discarded at the "scene". Then of course the shoes at the end and the announcement. It was simple and pretty fast.

I am sure you'll get to see it soon!

Congratulations again. I am sure post production's zooming right along. :)

**edited to answer whether I liked it or not* The short answer's yes.

The long answer: I suspect two reasons. The visuals, while food related, were not typical FoodTV and therefore caught my notice. It was dark instead of the usual bright, sunny, happy-happy.

Additionally, not knowing what was coming, it made me wonder what the point was and therefore held my interest. "Hmm.. what's with the chalk outlines of food? It isn't a 'cereal' killer.. hrmmmmmmmm. OH! Hungry Detective! Oh!!"

Edited by Beverly Shaw (log)

I saw it!!! That was so cool...now I am getting excited, but I still have 4 shows to film, plus voice over stuff...its looking like Vegas is going to be the first show...you guys will get to see that Chicken Fried Lobster...oh yea, that was good!

The Hungry Detective

Chris - I just watched the Feasting on Asphalt episode (thank you DVR!!) and I decided to hit every location you brought Alton to. It was certainly the highlight episode of the season.

I'm glad to hear y'all had fun down south.

When's NYC?

Edited by agbaber (log)

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

I saw it!!! That was so cool...now I am getting excited

So the 15-hour days, the travel, the food and the cameras in your face didn't manage to do the trick but seeing a promo got you excited? What a goof! :laugh:

I know what you mean, though. It does seem more real now somehow (plus I'm getting really tired of watching the lobster claw break off on the ice skating "compete with food" spot, so it's nice to have something new in the rotation). :wink:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

you forgot the glamor of eating at burger king alone at 1030 pm, cause nothing else is open and you hav been travelling all day....oh the glamor of it all! We leave for NYC on the 14th and go to DC from there...looks like we are doing Fatty Crab, Bleeker St Pizza, a curry place Ann Burrel (from Iron Chef) told me about, some underground sushi joint and one other place....

The Hungry Detective

• 2 weeks later...

Been meaning to post that I saw a ad on FN for your show the other day (I'd been watching TV for a change while I convalesced), and I liked it lots. In the ad you came off as a "just folks" kinda guy--no shtick, no artificial gloss--and personally that really appealed to me. Especially in contrast to so much of FN's other offerings. So far, so good! :smile:

Been meaning to post that I saw a ad on FN for your show the other day (I'd been watching TV for a change while I convalesced), and I liked it lots. In the ad you came off as a "just folks" kinda guy--no shtick, no artificial gloss--and personally that really appealed to me. Especially in contrast to so much of FN's other offerings. So far, so good!  :smile:

Ducky, didn't realize you'd been ill; hope all is well! I saw Chris on the last Feasting on Asphalt; can't WAIT for the new show! :wub:

I saw one of the ad's, it was cute...I know that have about 5, including a cool black and white 40's detective nior style one....

I am off to NYC in the morning to shoot that show, then on to DC....you folks are all welcome to come watch and or be in the background...drop me an e mail if you want location times.....hope you guys like it, we found some great places....

The Hungry Detective

Chris,

I've seen it a couple of times today (having decided to spend the holiday weekend in bed, with a flu/cold combo  :angry: ).  It's a crime-scene motif - chalk outlines of various recognizable foods on the pavement ending with a pair of shoes (gum shoes, presumably, if I have my detective novel vernacular right).  "The Hungry Detective" (red letters) and 'coming in October' (or something like that) is the cutaway. Sorry I can't be more descriptive - I'm drifting in and out a lot.  I'll try to at least remember what the outlined foods are and figure out what the background noise is - it was distinctive enough to shake me out of my semi-sleep the second time, in time to see the graphic at the end, but I couldn't tell you what it was.  I'm guessing typical crime scene-type noise but it's just a guess.

Yep-- That's the version I saw too.

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

What are your plans for the DC area? Eden Center for vietnamese food? Amsterdam Falafel House in Adams Morgan for falafel & belgian frites at 2:00 am? Naan & Beyond for great tiikka chicken wraps w/surly service to go? Peruvian chicken at Crisp & Juicy (in Arlington)? DC abounds in great, cheap funky ethnic food.