• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Time to let the cat out of the bag

Chris Cognac

5 segments per show--mmmm...I know I mentioned exploring Devon Avenue in Chicago (the Indian hood) up thread, but what most people do not realize is that Chicago has the largest Asian Indian population in the US.

. . . and the second largest Polish population of any city besides Warsaw.

Chicago also has large Mexican and Thai populations and, as such, offers fantastic cuisine in those categories as well.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Thanks to everyone for the great information you have provided thus far.  We really appreciate it. :biggrin:

Jason

Not quite sure yet. If you can already see Rachel Ray's show there, then the answer is probably a yes.

Now when  I think Philly I dont think "Pizza"....whats the deal w Philly pizza, is it thin, thick, come with cheesesteak on top...fill me in!..better yet post a photo of some!

On another note...We would love to find at least 1 great bargain in each city....example: in the Vegas show we found a BBQ place in a super 8 motel that serves a 1/2 rack of pork ribs, 1/2 chicken, plus beans, corn on the cob and garlic toast for only $6.95...it was huge and good....

We love that kinda stuff....uner 5 bucks....even better!

Why don't you just go to Golden Corral? All you can eat - and the food is decent (especially southern veggies in the south). I go there when I'm on a veggie kick - although I avoid the fried stuff.

You can get BBQ (all you can eat ribs for whatever numbers of dollars) in Charleston - and the rest of the south for that matter - but - since Charleston is a top food city in the south - and the US - it would be a shame to portray the city in that light.

I'm not sure what the point of this show is. How to get fat on $10/day or less? When you get to the south - you'll see from the number of double and triple wides - especially among people of lesser means - that we don't need any more help in that department. I would respectfully suggest concentrating on quality as opposed to quantity. Robyn

Why don't you just go to Golden Corral?  All you can eat - and the food is decent (especially southern veggies in the south).  I go there when I'm on a veggie kick - although I avoid the fried stuff.

You can get BBQ (all you can eat ribs for whatever numbers of dollars) in Charleston - and the rest of the south for that matter - but - since Charleston is a top food city in the south - and the US - it would be a shame to portray the city in that light.

I'm not sure what the point of this show is.  How to get fat on $10/day or less?  When you get to the south - you'll see from the number of double and triple wides - especially among people of lesser means - that we don't need any more help in that department.  I would respectfully suggest concentrating on quality as opposed to quantity.  Robyn

Robyn...Affordable, good food doesn't have to be fattening. Lots of working class folks (like cops) can't afford going to places that are $50 and up per person. There are a great many small places with excellent and inexpensive food that are NOTHING like Golden Corral. Not to mention that Golden Corral hardly qualifies as "off the beaten path."

I guess I don't understand the point of your post.

Would you rather Chris' show focus on delicious, out-of-the-way, little-known, four-star, expensive restaurants with our-of-the-way, little-known celebrity chefs?

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I know next to nothing about DC, but I have lived in other cities where there are a lot of embassies and consulates.  I always go round and chat up the staff to see if there are any good and cheap ethnic eats nearby.  There is invariably an inexpensive cafe somewhere within walking distance that caters to the embassy staff.

I particularly remember a Russian meal close to the Soviet embassy in Tokyo and a favorite Japanese restaurant close to the Japanese embassy in Panama City.

So you might hit that angle in DC.  Call some of the embassies and ask where the staff eats.

That's certainly a unique and interesting aspect of DC.

Unfortunately if you are looking for cheap eats recommendations from Embassy staff in DC proper you won't have much luck. "Embassy Row", also known as Massachusetts Ave. between just past Dupont Circle up to the Observatory (where Chaney Lives) where most of the embassis are located does not have any restaurants nearby. Nothing. For the most part in order to find good cheap ethnic eats you have to head to the burbs. Given the real estate prices in DC it's getting harder and harder to find cheap eats, let alone ethnic cheap eats in a lot of areas.

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

We are going to look into San Diego as a stand by city since we are traveling all around the hurricane zone and might need to change cities on a moments notice.....We found a place called "Hodad's" that looked pretty neat!!

A photo of the menu at Hodad's (menu is a little hard to read)

Picutres of the food and restaurant

Make sure you order the onion rings. :wub:

It can be pricey, depending on what you order...but take a look at the size of that burger!

When he goes to Hodad's, my brother has his daughter feed him french fries so he doesn't have to release his two-handed grip on the burger.

I hope you get to go there...have a great time, Chris!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Not quite sure yet.  If you can already see Rachel Ray's show there, then the answer is probably a yes.

We do get RR's shows - but we don't get all FTV US shows. Hopefully FTVC will fit it into their schedule so we get a chance to see it.

Thanks.

Congratulations, sir. Sounds like a blast. Hit the truck stops and see what the local truckers recommend type stuff.

If you ever decide to do something in Alabama, let me know. I know quite a few members of the Birmingham PD and other local angencies as well. I do on-site computer repair and run about 1000 miles a week through the countryside here between Montgomery and Huntsville. I eat on the road every day. There's a BBQ subculture that's somewhere between Memphis and Carolina here. Big Bob Gibson up near Huntsville has won Memphis in May a couple of times now. There's Dreamland (Nothin like 'em nowhere) and dozens of little places that you would never see a billboard for.

How about a road trip theme? Atlanta to New Orleans. Nashville to Miami. Cleveland to St Louis? If it's about road food, take a 6 or 8 hour drive, and hit some of the cool places that most people would only see from the interstate.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I know next to nothing about DC, but I have lived in other cities where there are a lot of embassies and consulates.  I always go round and chat up the staff to see if there are any good and cheap ethnic eats nearby.  There is invariably an inexpensive cafe somewhere within walking distance that caters to the embassy staff.

I particularly remember a Russian meal close to the Soviet embassy in Tokyo and a favorite Japanese restaurant close to the Japanese embassy in Panama City.

So you might hit that angle in DC.  Call some of the embassies and ask where the staff eats.

Unfortunately if you are looking for cheap eats recommendations from Embassy staff in DC proper you won't have much luck. "Embassy Row", also known as Massachusetts Ave. between just past Dupont Circle up to the Observatory (where Chaney Lives) where most of the embassis are located does not have any restaurants nearby. Nothing. For the most part in order to find good cheap ethnic eats you have to head to the burbs. Given the real estate prices in DC it's getting harder and harder to find cheap eats, let alone ethnic cheap eats in a lot of areas.

Are you doing prepared food only? It occurs to me that a lot of embassy types do their shopping at the DC farmer's market, a very funky and fun spot with wearhouses full of obscure and exotic items, which are usuallly sold retail as well. It also has sould food supplies and a legendary Italian space.

Also, there is a growing Carribean/African population with places that need to be explored but are not yet well known.

Will you be going out of DC proper? There is Mexican food and southern Maryland Barbecue.

PM if you want more details or just to shoot the breeze.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Having lived in the burbs of DC, you'll have to travel to NOVA or MD to get out of the high rent districts. Try Manassas and beyond-lots of hidden jewels in strip malls, etc. We escaped after 9/11 to the wilderness of Augusta, GA-where Applebees is considered fine dining.

San Diego - the backup town (always a bridesmaid never a bride :wink:).

This place is good, a bit "hole-in-the-wall"ish and very close to major tourist attraction = San Diego Old Town. Also very close to trolley stop.

Berta's Latin American

They serve selected dishes from a number of Latin American countries. They've been around for ages, but are rarely crowded.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

WE thought we were going to shoot the pilot in san diego and berta's was/is already on the radar....

I am hearing Houston is underwater today...that is gonna be our first city....its gonna be interesting shooting all summer with the weather situation in the east and south....

Busboy...I will look into DC, but dont really know much about it....is maryland far away from the DC area....I am a L.A. "Dude" and dont know much at all about D.C.

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

WE thought we were going to shoot the pilot in san diego and berta's was/is already on the radar....

I am hearing Houston is underwater today...that is gonna be our first city....its gonna be interesting shooting all summer with the weather situation in the east and south....

Busboy...I will look into DC, but dont really know much about it....is maryland far away from the DC area....I am a L.A. "Dude" and dont know much at all about D.C.

You can stand with one foot in MD and one in DC - they border one another. The mexican neighborhood is about 15 minutes across the state line -- if it was in LAm, it would be well within the city limits; the 'cue runs about an hour or hour-and-a-half by car. The Vietnamese strip mall I spoke of earlier is about 30 minutes outside.

As I said, if you are going to be shooting in DC, let us know and we'll see what we can dig up, and maybe introduce you/your producer to some other smart foodies.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I'm glad to hear Berta's is on the radar screen.

Way up in Valley Center (north east end of San Diego County) is

a rib place called Fat Ivor's. Definitely out of the way.

They burned down several years ago, and had people on tenterhooks for the ~ 3 years it took them to rebuild. The main deal here is the all-you-can-eat short ribs. Comes with slaw, beans and potato wedges.

The restaurant is next to a tractor dealership that has giant boulders built into the walls etc because it would have cost too much to dig them out.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

You can stand with one foot in MD and one in DC - they border one another. The mexican neighborhood is about 15 minutes across the state line -- if it was in LAm, it would be well within the city limits; the 'cue runs about an hour or hour-and-a-half by car. The Vietnamese strip mall I spoke of earlier is about 30 minutes outside.

As I said, if you are going to be shooting in DC, let us know and we'll see what we can dig up, and maybe introduce you/your producer to some other smart foodies.

Busyboy-we may have to do a recon mission out to PG county to check whether the mexican neighborhood is worth it. The last time I was there it was pretty bad-even if I was only one of two gringos in the whole place. It didn't live up to the hype.

We are shooting in DC...no ifs ands or butts about it.....we would love to get a core group of foodies that are DC based to help w the production research and even appear on camera if need be...I am interested in the ethiopian coffee ceremony...as well as where the embassy staff eat....not the high ranking ones....I want the worker bee's etc from the embassy...

We are interested in the military as well since I am a veteran and want to give props to the vets out there....

Barracks Row, 8th street between Pennsylvania and I, might be worth a look. Two blocks away is the Navy yard and on the east side of the street is the Marine Barracks, home to the Commendant,his band and a ton of young marines. In three blocks you can find a pretty good cheesesteak for the young marines, somewhat fancy (for that neighborhood anyway) Beligum food, and a couple of bars where you could have a marine on one side of you, a Navy contractor on the other and a Hill staffer behind you.

Plus there is the Firehouse Carryout. I don't know if this is a DC thing or you can find them in other inner city neighborhoods, but we have a dearth of "carryouts" where you can get everything from pretty good fried chicken to fried rice to a steak and cheese. For many people the fried rice is as ethnic as their palate gets. You never refer to the different places by their real name, everyone just knows which "carryout" you are referring to based on the neighborhood you are talking about.

Have we mentioned Ooooohs and Aaaaaahs yet? Great soul food on U street. The first time I went I listen to another customer tell the cop standing next to him how he got out of getting arrested the night before.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

You definitely have to try a Philly Surf 'n Turf hotdog while you're here.  Fishcake mushed onto a hotdog.  They're delicious and cheap and definitely not something you see anywhere else I'm aware of.

Maybe it's just too early in the morning but this is kind of making me cringe. Can you elaborate or does someone have a picture they can post? Is it dressed (read: drowned, covered, enveloped, disguised :wink:] in anything?

Holly Moore??? Paging Mr. Moore....

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Chris, I'll try to take some photos to send to you this week, at least of my neck of the woods. DC is definitely made up of many different "neighborhoods" with different flavors. Some are more residential than others, some more business, some strictly government, some more entertainment, some just in the revitilization stage...you'll find different types of places in all of these areas.

I'm a lowly office worker-bee in the "Golden Triangle Business District" downtown, and carry-out is usually what we get. It's hard to fit "eating out" into a lunch half or even an hour, so, yes, in that manner, carry-out is definitely part of the culture. For my lunches, I to try to keep to a $5-$8 minimum, inc. tax, as most others do. While not the area of the embassies, we do have many Government Relations offices of companies from all over the world located here.

The Greek Deli is a destination for many, and also a carry-out. There are tons of the Hot/Cold food bars and sandwich shops, but the small, family run, shops that I mentioned previously have great food and fit right in the budget. These and others like them are the places that don't get "reviewed" but have home-cooked meals that draw the natives. As far as ethnic goes, the Turkish, Middle Eastern, Mediterranean, and Indonesian restaurants that we have downtown are better than any that I know of in the burbs...but yes, the Korean, Mexican and Vietnamese restaurants are all better outside of the city. Malaysia Kopityam, is quite good as well, and very authentic, although it has been reviewed in the past as the best Indonesian restaurant in the area.

More carry-out I can give you...Naan and Beyond! (and what about that pizza place on P St---Alberto's is it?)

(Hill, hoof it over here when you get the chance and try out Rumi...His Dolma are delicate, meatless and yet full of flavor, but call first to make sure he has them, as they take a full day for him to make....don't get the ones from the salad bar, as those are not the same as the ones he sells ala carte. And have you ever been to Cous Cous Cafe?) You too, Busboy, I don't think I've seen you over in my neck of the woods! :biggrin:

Squids...I would be into doing lunch with some cubicle dwelling office worker bee's....its right up my alley and perfect for the show.....I love the take out thing too...think your boss would go for it?

We are shooting Houston first....mid july it looking like...then maybe Chicago at the end of July, then around the 15th of August we will hit a 3 city swing of Charelston, Miami and Atlanta...hope that helps with everyones planning and research....Thanks a ton once again...now I am off to court in downtown L.A. for my real job...on my day off of course....uggh!

Edited by Chris Cognac (log)

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Squids...I would be into doing lunch with some cubicle dwelling office worker bee's....its right up my alley and perfect for the show.....I love the take out thing too...think your boss would go for it?

We are shooting Houston first....mid july it looking like...then maybe Chicago at the end of July, then around the 15th of August we will hit a 3 city swing of Charelston, Miami and Atlanta...hope that helps with everyones planning and research....Thanks a ton once again...now I am off to court in downtown L.A. for my real job...on my day off of course....uggh!

:shock: Chris, Miami in August? You're a glutton for punishment, not to say a brave soul to be facing our possible weather! Will you just be in Miami, or out in Miami-Dade County, or even venturing into other counties close by? (My stomping ground is north Broward, which is a wasteland, mostly, but I know a great little breakfast joint...) :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"