• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Time to let the cat out of the bag

Chris Cognac

My father is a police officer, so congrats! He always ate at Sonic, though. It was convenient for him since he could stay in his car while he ate.

I'm in Miami, so have a few favorites. I've mentioned them in other threads already. Burritos Grill - a fantastic Yucatan style restaurant with about 4 tables inside, plus a bar that faces the grill, and then 4 more tables outside. Owned and run by a married couple from Mexico, who are fantastic chefs. Great homemade salsa, guacamole, burritos, TAMALES, mole, and more.

And then for the freshest, cheapest sea food, Captain Jim's. Excellent food, great complementary crab salad. But Rachael Ray went there already.

I've also lived in Nashville and Boston and have a few favorites in those places as well...

"God give us good taste, why bother?" Captain Jim's Sushi Chef

Congratulations Chris! I think I may have seen a promo for your show this morning...in any case, show us good food and a good time on the road. Best wished for happy and tasty travels!

You want "off the beaten path"? Try talking to a chemotherapy patient about her life, and how life with food has changed with treatment and it's consequences!

Julia (<--- chemo patient/foodie with ideas!)

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

If you're currently debating whither Dallas or Houston, let me cast my vote for Houston. The cities are so large that you can't do either justice if you try to cram both into one show.

So I say Houston.

I know that the "off the beaten path" bit is misleading because so far they've primarily selected cities that are already extremely well known as being great restaurant towns.

But, frankly, Houston isn't. It's time to amend that incorrect impression.

And it's a very large television market (especially when you include the entire metropolitan area, and other metropolitan areas that are only a few hours' drive, like Austin & San Antonio, and are full of people that visit Houston often and would be interested in food shows featuring Houston, like me) so I'd think it would be the better choice by far!

Houston is an international center of commerce, banking, oil, shipping, education, medicine and health care, space exploration, and the like, making it a destination for business persons, tourists and other travelers from all over the globe.

For example, there are quite a few excellent middle-Eastern restaurants in Houston, catering to oil families from the OPEC nations that spend a lot of time there. I'm sure the concierge at the Four Seasons could suggest a few.

And then there's Houston's enormous Asian population. I am not sure, but believe I read somewhere that Houston's Vietnamese population is second-largest in the US, and that's second only to Orange County California. If you had someone interested in Asian food, do you think they'd immediately think, "I know, let's go to Houston!"? You could probably do an entire hour on nothing but Houston's noodle houses and pho joints.

And there are also New Orleans influences there. Excellent Cajun and Creole sandwich shops and cafes selling po' boys and boudin. (That influence obviously has increased with the recent influx of Katrina evacuees; which, I'd think, would be something else of interest to Chris' TV viewers. It certainly fascinates me. Might be fun to seek out somebody that previously owned a restaurant in New Orleans that was displaced, and now has opened in Houston. I'm sure there are several. That would be an interesting Houston angle that other cities might not be able to match.)

In addition, there is Houston's proximity to the Gulf. The show could (and should) include some seafood shack-type spots down in the Gulf towns.

And there's always the more predictable BBQ and Mexican.

Not to mention that Houston is home to the extremely amusing Mr. Walsh. Who, if enticed to join y'all on this excursion, might mention it in his column, thereby increasing viewership.

My personal opinion is, hands down, Houston and the Gulf. Absolutely no question about it. A great, and little-recognized, food town.

And a huge television market.

A winning combination, I'd think, in any tv producer's book.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Congratulations Chris! I think I may have seen a promo for your show this morning...in any case, show us good food and a good time on the road. Best wished for happy and tasty travels!

Wow, if thats the case than they are moving fast! I am pretty excited as I have only been to NYC and all the rest of the places are new to me.....its a great chance to explore new places I have only heard about....I mean, how cool is it that I will be able to get a real cheesesteak in Philly, fried chicken in Atlanta and BBQ in Charelston!...then I will get to show you all of the places that I eat here in L.A..

The response from eG hs been great, we are ALL going to have a blast planning and shooting this show and lots of you will get some good behind the scenes looks at how its done...and get to eat some great food w me!

Its the chance of a lifetime for someone like me.....and the culmination of an idea I came up with 4 yrs ago to save my sanity while investigation horrible crimes....and you know what...it worked!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

If you're currently debating whither Dallas or Houston, let me cast my vote for Houston.  The cities are so large that you can't do either justice if you try to cram both into one show.

So I say Houston.

I know that the "off the beaten path" bit is misleading because so far they've primarily selected cities that are already extremely well known as being great restaurant towns.

But, frankly, Houston isn't.  It's time to amend that incorrect impression.

And it's a very large television market (especially when you include the entire metropolitan area, and other metropolitan areas that are only a few hours' drive, like Austin & San Antonio, and are full of people that visit Houston often and would be interested in food shows featuring Houston, like me) so I'd think it would be the better choice by far!

Houston is an international center of commerce, banking, oil, shipping, education, medicine and health care, space exploration, and the like, making it a destination for business persons, tourists and other travelers from all over the globe. 

For example, there are quite a few excellent middle-Eastern restaurants in Houston, catering to oil families from the OPEC nations that spend a lot of time there.  I'm sure the concierge at the Four Seasons could suggest a few.

And then there's Houston's enormous Asian population.  I am not sure, but believe I read somewhere that Houston's Vietnamese population is second-largest in the US, and that's second only to Orange County California.  If you had someone interested in Asian food, do you think they'd immediately think, "I know, let's go to Houston!"?  You could probably do an entire hour on nothing but Houston's noodle houses and pho joints.

And there are also New Orleans influences there.  Excellent Cajun and Creole sandwich shops and cafes selling po' boys and boudin.  (That influence obviously has increased with the recent influx of Katrina evacuees; which, I'd think, would be something else of interest to Chris' TV viewers.  It certainly fascinates me.  Might be fun to seek out somebody that previously owned a restaurant in New Orleans that was displaced, and now has opened in Houston.  I'm sure there are several.  That would be an interesting Houston angle that other cities might not be able to match.)

In addition, there is Houston's proximity to the Gulf.  The show could (and should) include some seafood shack-type spots down in the Gulf towns. 

And there's always the more predictable BBQ and Mexican.

Not to mention that Houston is home to the extremely amusing Mr. Walsh.  Who, if enticed to join y'all on this excursion, might mention it in his column, thereby increasing viewership.

My personal opinion is, hands down, Houston and the Gulf.  Absolutely no question about it.  A great, and little-recognized, food town.

And a huge television market.

A winning combination, I'd think, in any tv producer's book.

My money is on Houston at the moment....we are already talking Viet food.....Pho, Pho and mo Pho, Pho me and Pho you

Edited by Chris Cognac (log)

The Hungry Detective

Food network shows often come to shoot in Philadelphia. I  live here and think the best pizza is Taconelli's. What is the topic or format for the show.

Suzfab

Hijacking this for a minute:

Have you checked out the "PIZZA CLUB 2006" thread on the Pennsylvania board?

We have embarked on an epic adventure this year: the "Best of Philly Review Tour."

Of course Tacconelli's--the only six-time winner of the 50-odd Philly pizza places that have won the coveted Philadelphia magazine honor (a few of which didn't deserve it to begin with)--is a stop on the tour. Why don't you join us?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Now when I think Philly I dont think "Pizza"....whats the deal w Philly pizza, is it thin, thick, come with cheesesteak on top...fill me in!..better yet post a photo of some!

On another note...We would love to find at least 1 great bargain in each city....example: in the Vegas show we found a BBQ place in a super 8 motel that serves a 1/2 rack of pork ribs, 1/2 chicken, plus beans, corn on the cob and garlic toast for only $6.95...it was huge and good....

We love that kinda stuff....uner 5 bucks....even better!

The Hungry Detective

Now when I think Philly I dont think "Pizza"....whats the deal w Philly pizza, is it thin, thick, come with cheesesteak on top...fill me in!..better yet post a photo of some!

Chris, you can take a gander through THIS very long thread (the real stuff starts around page 6) and have a look at some of our earlier exploits, which include Tacconelli's.

Here's a picture of one of Tac's best - White pizza wth Tomato, Spinach, Garlic and Pepperoni:

i915.jpg

There really is no "Philly style" pizza. There's all different styles. But here it's all about the crust. If you read through all of the Pizza Club threads in the PA forum you'll see there's a wide variety.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Chris, when you get to San Diego I have a couple of suggestions. I have been eating at both since the late 70s for one and the early 80s, cops gather at both also. 1st - El Indios of India street. Great California Mexican that went from tortilla factory to restaurant, family owned to corporate and back again, still good food. 2nd Family House in Chula Vista. Best breakfasts on the planet. We always stop prior to a fishing retreat in Mexico. Get there early or stand in line. Food is average american fare made to perfection. :smile:

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

We are going to look into San Diego as a stand by city since we are traveling all around the hurricane zone and might need to change cities on a moments notice.....We found a place called "Hodad's" that looked pretty neat!!

And that Pizza looks awesome...who knew Philly did pizza!

The Hungry Detective

I haven't seen many posts about DC, so I'll put my .02 in for the Greek Deli--a carry-out on 19th St. (great food, good value--people line up daily to the street)

I'm also a fan of Cous-Cous Cafe on 20th, and a new place just starting out on 20th, used to be a Cafe Cantina (chain) but is trying to get it's new menu/restaurant going, called Rumi.

These are all small authentic shops, non-chains, favorites for the "office worker" budget.

Well...WE did! :smile:

Tacconelli's has been on The Best Of... on the Food Network already, but it's worth a stop while you're here, even just for yourself. It's some damned fine 'za. Fat Guy will back me up on this one.

You definitely have to try a Philly Surf 'n Turf hotdog while you're here. Fishcake mushed onto a hotdog. They're delicious and cheap and definitely not something you see anywhere else I'm aware of. Holly can direct you to the best of those, but I'll join you for that outing if I can!

There's good cheap ethnic eats of all sorts here, but I'm not certain it's things that are that unique to Philly. The Polish eateries, bakeries and kielbasa factory in Port Richmond might be an interesting angle. There's a pocket of Ethiopian restaurants in West Philly. Dahlak's is my go to. Great Loatian/Thai place (Vientiane Cafe) out that way too.

If you come while it's still warm out you can try some wooder ice (aka Water Ice or Italian Ice) from any one of a number of stands in the area. Those are good and cheap.

Great hoagies at Chickie's Deli are somewhat off the beaten track.

Let us know exactly what you're looking for and I'm certain if we don't already know about it, we'll help sniff it out!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Well...WE did! :smile:

Tacconelli's has been on The Best Of... on the Food Network already, but it's worth a stop while you're here, even just for yourself. It's some damned fine 'za. Fat Guy will back me up on this one.

You definitely have to try a Philly Surf 'n Turf hotdog while you're here. Fishcake mushed onto a hotdog. They're delicious and cheap and definitely not something you see anywhere else I'm aware of. Holly can direct you to the best of those, but I'll join you for that outing if I can!

There's good cheap ethnic eats of all sorts here, but I'm not certain it's things that are that unique to Philly. The Polish eateries, bakeries and kielbasa factory in Port Richmond might be an interesting angle. There's a pocket of Ethiopian restaurants in West Philly. Dahlak's is my go to. Great Loatian/Thai place (Vientiane Cafe) out that way too.

If you come while it's still warm out you can try some wooder ice (aka Water Ice or Italian Ice) from any one of a number of stands in the area. Those are good and cheap.

Great hoagies at Chickie's Deli are somewhat off the beaten track.

Let us know exactly what you're looking for and I'm certain if we don't already know about it, we'll help sniff it out!

I just got off the phone with one of the producers (Sean) and we like the Polish angle and want to include it in the Philly show....I think we are gonna do Ethiopian in D.C....there are 5 food segments per show.....so 1 cheesesteak segment and I would like to get a "bargain breakfast" in a segment....and a good family dinner spot...so we have 2 more segments to go....I think the Polish will be one of them....I am excited about the Philly show....its looking good with all the info we have so far...thanks to you guys!

The Hungry Detective

I just got off the phone with one of the producers (Sean) and we like the Polish angle and want to include it in the Philly show....I think we are gonna do Ethiopian in D.C....there are 5 food segments per show.....so 1 cheesesteak segment and I would like to get a "bargain breakfast" in a segment....and a good family dinner spot...so we have 2 more segments to go....I think the Polish will be one of them....I am excited about the Philly show....its looking good with all the info we have so far...thanks to you guys!

Wow, that's quick!

However, I will keep you posted on the N.O. place in Chester.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

5 segments per show--mmmm...I know I mentioned exploring Devon Avenue in Chicago (the Indian hood) up thread, but what most people do not realize is that Chicago has the largest Asian Indian population in the US.

S. Cue

I haven't seen many posts about DC, so I'll put my .02 in for the Greek Deli--a carry-out on 19th St. (great food, good value--people line up daily to the street)

I'm also a fan of Cous-Cous Cafe on 20th, and a new place just starting out on 20th, used to be a Cafe Cantina (chain) but is trying to get it's new menu/restaurant going, called Rumi.

These are all small authentic shops, non-chains, favorites for the "office worker" budget.

I know next to nothing about DC, but I have lived in other cities where there are a lot of embassies and consulates. I always go round and chat up the staff to see if there are any good and cheap ethnic eats nearby. There is invariably an inexpensive cafe somewhere within walking distance that caters to the embassy staff.

I particularly remember a Russian meal close to the Soviet embassy in Tokyo and a favorite Japanese restaurant close to the Japanese embassy in Panama City.

So you might hit that angle in DC. Call some of the embassies and ask where the staff eats.

That's certainly a unique and interesting aspect of DC.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

It's clear you're getting plenty of Philly advice, but I still wanted to quickly mention one place that came to mind from the reference to "places where people that work in the city and make the city run eat".

In West Philly there's a Pakistani restaurant called Kabobeesh. Its atmosphere is unique 'cause it's in a diner car, and the parking lot is always filled with taxis, especially late at night (they're open fairly late). Great, relatively cheap food - big kebabs of lamb, chicken, beef, etc.

You definitely have to try a Philly Surf 'n Turf hotdog while you're here.  Fishcake mushed onto a hotdog.  They're delicious and cheap and definitely not something you see anywhere else I'm aware of.

Maybe it's just too early in the morning but this is kind of making me cringe. Can you elaborate or does someone have a picture they can post? Is it dressed (read: drowned, covered, enveloped, disguised :wink:] in anything?

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I know next to nothing about DC, but I have lived in other cities where there are a lot of embassies and consulates. I always go round and chat up the staff to see if there are any good and cheap ethnic eats nearby. There is invariably an inexpensive cafe somewhere within walking distance that caters to the embassy staff.

I particularly remember a Russian meal close to the Soviet embassy in Tokyo and a favorite Japanese restaurant close to the Japanese embassy in Panama City.

So you might hit that angle in DC. Call some of the embassies and ask where the staff eats.

That's certainly a unique and interesting aspect of DC.

We think alike...I am on the same page...I have been trying to think of a way to get the local Japanese consolute folks to get me a reservation at the "secret" japanese beef place here in L.A.

The Hungry Detective