• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Time to let the cat out of the bag

Chris Cognac

Congratulations Chris!  This is so :cool:!!!!

Allow me to offer my services as an additional culinary tour guide when you come visit Philly.  We could even plan a Pizza Club extravaganza in your honor!

Hey, I wanna be first alternate Philly tour guide!

Philly:

Stock's pound cake

cheesesteaks sources

(sorta secretive: D'Alessandro's, really out there: lunch carts)

Grey Lodge: used to be a secret, but starting to be less so

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Off the beaten path?  No city in America has more or better Ethiopian Restaurants than DC; we even have a "little Ethiopia" now.  And, to the uninitiated, it's a fairly exotic cusine -- eating without utensils and all.  Call for details.  Drop by for a guided tour.

Ooh ooh ooh.... I hear an Ethiopian coffee ceremony calling your name. The best one I've ever done was in the Adams-Morgan neighborhood of DC. It's something that few people outside the Ethiopian community are familiar with.

Very cool, Chris.

A second to Busboy's and Phaeleon's suggestion. The range of Ethiopean restaurants in D.C. is amazing. The Adams-Morgan area was always a favorite when I lived there, too.

My suggestion: if you haven't already, think about posting on the various regional forums for ideas. For folks (like me) who don't check out this forum often, this could fly under the general radar screen.

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to the show.

Can you explain why you can no longer be a judge on Iron Chef? I've seen the show but don't know what the qualifications are for being a judge, or not!

KathyM

:biggrin:

Bravo to you and this whole incredibly exciting enterprise, Chris!! Most impressive and , don't you just know, we are all going to be perched on the very edge of our seats watching this develop and blossom ... a very beautiful event!

All due apologies to the police here but no more Court TV for us .. Food Network all the way! :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I'm having a hard time understanding the philosophy here...

On the one hand, the phrase "off the beaten path" has been used repeatedly to describe the concept.

But then, there seems to be a list of cities that are nothing if not right smack dab in the big ol' middle of the beaten path.  In fact, they define the beaten path.

Is it just me or is that puzzling to anyone else?

I don't find it puzzling at all. Perhaps Chris' producers could explain in more detail, but I think it only makes sense, if Chris' first season is to be a success, to focus on markets with strong local viewership, and for this particular concept, to also use cities that attract a lot of business travelers who would enjoy discovering interesting, affordable, non-tourist-trap venues.

True...I see that. Probably wise move. And then, if it's a success, perhaps they could begin to focus on destinations that actually ARE "off of the beaten path." As opposed to more cheese steaks in Philly.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Looks like we have a great opportunity to let the Food Network see the real Atlanta ... hope to hear some great ideas from our local food enthusiasts ... Julia, Tryska, Therese, Milt, Thomas, Dave, Collins, Greg ... just to name a few of our regulars ...

Off-the-beaten-path ... hmmm ... :rolleyes:

maybe Watershed in Decatur for classic Southern cuisine?

Fat Matt's Rib Shack on Piedmont for barbecue?

Tamarind and Nan Thai for authentic Thai cuisine?

Havana Sandwich Shop

more on Atlanta here

Madame Gifted Gourmet -

If we could limit the cuisine to some specifics, I could provide some off-the-beaten-path input. As great as they are, I feel there are better places than Fat Matt's and Tamarind for candidates for their categories. I don't remember visiting Watershed.

I wanted to nominate "The Varsity" to outdo Rachel Ray, but then I also expressed my wishes for Thomas Keller to copy the old Red Barn motif at his new burger joint. :raz:

The finest Mexican food I've had anywhere, including California and the border area into Texas, is Nueva Laredo Cantina on Chattahoochie St. in NW Atlanta. I take all my out of town business associates there. The Vortex in Little Five Points has the best burgers/pub food in town. For Vietnamese/Thai, have you been to Saigon Cafe on Jimmy Carter (the best Pho)? For barbecue, have you tried Swallow At The Hollow in Roswell? I still prefer Touch Of India for the food and atmosphere in midtown, too. Pastis for authentic Provencal food on old Roswell square (my sister's firm help them with their visas). Canoe for their impeccable wine list. Thelma's Kitchen for Southern/Soul. Mary Mac's Tea Room on Ponce and Bobby and June's Country Kitchen on 14th for meat-and-three or breakfast, or Aunt Fannie's Cabin in Marietta for southern comfort (cliche, but the kind of places that have the traditions and stories the Food Network would eat up)

All of these are Top Shelf, Gifted Gourmet, Top Shelf!

If you'd like, I would be pleased to meet you at any of these locations to Chew and Discuss. (And this isn't some cheap come-on, as far as you know)

:cool:

Edited to add more ideas

Edited by BuzzDraft (log)

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

jaymes, i am still trying to see how this show is anything different than the same old food network programming.

paula deen's kids are getting a show where they are doing a travel show highlighting small businesses (which will probably be "off the beaten path")

alton brown has a new show, that even cognac says is similar.

bobby flay's foodnation takes you "off the beaten" path exploring local food people and/or restaurants.

foodfinds hit up little bakeries and restaurants weren't tourist traps.

roker on the road and best do the same, to an extent.

i think rachel ray tries to do a mix of touristy and non-touristy stuff in her shows. inevitably, people seem to have a problem with her selections.

so that's 8 freaking shows about travel and food and where to go, all of which are trying to find that hidden gem. i really don't see what a 9th is adding, especially based on the list of cities. it would be great if the producers could explain the niche that they feel is being left out right now per the current food network programming.

does the flying biscuit count as off the beaten path? it never seems touristy when i go there.

I dearly love the Flying Biscuit! I think we need to think of some great southern "meat-and-threes" as well ...

does the flying biscuit count as off the beaten path? it never seems touristy when i go there.

I dearly love the Flying Biscuit! I think we need to think of some great southern "meat-and-threes" as well ...

I added ideas to my post above.

Flying Biscuit has the best biscuits in town - we always have them at our Tech tailgate parties when there's an early game requiring breakfast or the annual game we have fried chicken delivered in from Wallhalla SC. I brought scratch-made green peppercorn sauce for the last Wallhalla Chicken and Flying Biscuits party we had.

I'd be interested in hearing others' ideas for the top five meat-and-threes in the metro area. I figure any Atlanta show should represent a unique balance of both classic southern food stereotypical of the old south, and nouvelle southern cuisine with the influx of talented chefs we've had over the past 20 years. Every other city boasts similar excellent ethnic Thai, Mexican, Italian, etc. places.

Now I'm hungry...

Edited for clarity

Edited by BuzzDraft (log)

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

More outstanding "genyoowine"meat-and-threes might include:

Smith House in Dahlonega,

Buckner’s in Jackson, GA,

The Dillard House

Mrs. Bakers in Decatur off Rockbrige Road,

Who’s Got Soul on Herrington Road off of Old Norcross Road.

Pace’s Fish Camp in Brinson, GA

Wanda Sue’s in Newton (best fried chicken & deserts) and

Terry Lynn’s in Bainbridge (best fried green tomatoes, fried eggplant, fried squash).

Ma Hull’s Boardinghouse across from the Inman Street MARTA station. (A home cooked feast every night, word of mouth only, and Mrs. Hull collecting the cost of your meal in a cardboard cigar box on her front porch.)

The Colonnade :shock:

Mary Mac’s Tea Room on Ponce

Thelma's Kitchen on Auburn Avenue

BIG DADDY’S CAFE on Cascade Rd.

The Blue Willow Inn

Mary Mac on Ponce De Leon

Annie Laura’s on Hwy 85 in Riverdale

You just know we have to come up with "The Top Five" ... but we surely do have a lot of this genre of southern dining, don't we? :wink:

More outstanding "genyoowine"meat-and-threes might include:

Smith House in Dahlonega,

Buckner’s in Jackson, GA,

The Dillard House

Mrs. Bakers in Decatur off Rockbrige Road,

Who’s Got Soul on Herrington Road off of Old Norcross Road.

Pace’s Fish Camp in Brinson, GA

Wanda Sue’s in Newton (best fried chicken & deserts) and

Terry Lynn’s in Bainbridge (best fried green tomatoes, fried eggplant, fried squash).

Ma Hull’s Boardinghouse across from the Inman Street MARTA station. (A home cooked feast every night, word of mouth only, and Mrs. Hull collecting the cost of your meal in a cardboard cigar box on her front porch.)

The Colonnade  :shock:

Mary Mac’s Tea Room on Ponce

Thelma's Kitchen on Auburn Avenue

Bainbridge? Well, Gifted, you're casting your line a might further than I expected!

I agree we should focus on unique to Atlanta southern, both classic and nouvelle.

At least we intersect at Mary Mac's and Thelma's... I'm ready to make the circuit tomorrow starting with breakfast. After thinking about all this, I'm ravenous! Ma Hull, get ready.

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

I'm having a hard time understanding the philosophy here...

On the one hand, the phrase "off the beaten path" has been used repeatedly to describe the concept.

But then, there seems to be a list of cities that are nothing if not right smack dab in the big ol' middle of the beaten path.  In fact, they define the beaten path.

Is it just me or is that puzzling to anyone else?

OK, lets see if I can clear some stuff up....for this initial run of 11 shows we will be showing "off the beaten path places" in major cities, giving people an alternative to the chains and touristy places...we did the pilot in Vegas and went to 6 places that had never been on food network before....it ended up being really fun, with some great places discovered along the way....everything was "off the strip" which is the "beaten path" in Las Vegas.....we are showing that if you just go a little bit out of the way, there is a ton of real, honest food out there to be discovered. WE are going to highlight and feature places that might not ever get on TV otherwise and can really make a huge difference in some hard working chefs, and restaurant peoples lives...

I choose places I eat with a "cops eye" looking for clues that would lead me to believe that a certain place is worth checking out....like if I am getting Arab food on the street...I will go to a mosque and start looking around the area for "halal" signs....talk to some locals....check out things like "awnings" and see if they are worn from weather...a sign that the place has been there a long time.....newspaper racks, which indicate that there is a crowd during the day because people by papers when they go eat breakfast, lunch etc.....stuff like that....I also rely on bloggers, foodies, chefs and other informants to give me ideas and clues....

We are featuring a good mix of ethnic, street food, family run places and the "old school" restaurants...plus places where people that work in the city and make the city run eat...such as the UPS guy, Cops, etc...and for good cheap eat....students and the like....

Its not going to be the "same old show" and it was stressed to us that this is to be the case....People can "learn" from watching the items prepared during the show by the people who know how to make them best....Its not an instructional show, but you can learn from it....some of us (myself included) really like to see great places we can eat when we travel to cities other than the ones we live in...

eG folks have already come through with tons of great info...keep it coming in the individual thread being posted by my producer Jason! I am sure many of you will actually get to be in the show which is always fun!

We will never be able to please everyone, but with everyones help here, we are gonna make a damn good show!

Rock On!, Chris

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Forget cheesesteaks, they've been done to death; they are certainly not "off the beaten path". Even roast pork sandwiches (the holy trinity: Tommy DiNic's, Tony Luke's and John's) are pretty well known.

I think you need to concentrate on awful offal and "variety meats" in Philadelphia:

Tripe sandwich at George's in the Italian Market on Ninth Street.

Pepperpot soup (if you can find it), which kept the troops alive that winter in Valley Forge. City Tavern has it on the menu, but it's not the real thing: no tripe. Rumor has it The Fountain at the Four Seasons occasionally offers it during cold weather.

In lieu of pepperpot soup, there's snapper soup at Sansom Street Oyster House.

How about a visit to a scrapple factory in nearby Pennsylvania Dutch country? Who knows, maybe there's one in Intercourse or Blue Ball? Now that would make compelling TV. Perhaps you can find an expert to interview who can elucidate the variations in Pennsylvania Dutch luncheon meats, starting with souse.

There's got to be some red gravy restaurant that serves spaghetti with chicken liver. Maybe Villa di Roma? If not, higher-end Italian venues frequently feature buccatini con sardi.

A Vietnamese hoagie. No offal except for what's in the paté.

A visit to Sonny D'Angelo's meat locker (where else can you find both nutria and camel meat?).

Of course, we do not live by offal alone. There's got to be bread, too:

Philadelphia's breakfast of champions: Stale pretzel torn up into milk. Or watch them being made at a wholesale bakery, like Federal, and then by hand at Fisher's in the Reading Terminal Market.

Another breakfast of champions: Carman's Country Kitchen. Just ask Holly Moore about it (and Carman).

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

One place I always enjoyed in the Houston area was The Crazy Cajun on NASA Rd 1/NASA Parkway in Seabrook (Southeastern side of Houston.) Off the beaten path, not fancy, just good down home funk and very tasty food. There is a sampler (not sure if it is listed on the menu) called the "Dolly Parton" which is umpteen courses of everything all done 3 different ways. Sonny's Bread Pudding is also excellent and he claims that his whiskey sauce is made with moonshine. He says "I can't sell it but they can't stop me from cookin' with it." It's been awhile since I've been there but I bet it is still pretty darn good.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

Way to go Chris!! Congrats!! If you want to try some suprisingly good food come visit us in Pittsburgh. I'll keep the pierogies warm for you!

food has it over sex for variety

Chris,

What an exciting announcement! I live in the South Bay (Playa del Rey), subscribe to the Breeze, and have enjoyed your "off the beaten path" suggestions. It is exciting to think you will take your approach to fun, affordable eating nationwide. We appreciate your suggestions when there isn't time to cook and we don't want to break the bank, but want to enjoy what we eat. Buona fortuna!

Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon, or not at all.

Congratulations!  I'm looking forward to the show. 

Can you explain why you can no longer be a judge on Iron Chef?  I've seen the show but don't know what the qualifications are for being a judge, or not!

The judges are a mix off "food people" like myself and celebs etc...I can no longer judge because I am now "talent" with food network, its a smart policy on FN's part...but a bummer for me!...oh well,,,maybe I can talk them into letting me lead and "ohta faction" like on the old Iron Chef!

Pedie....thanks a ton, nice to meet a "reader" of my column!

Edited by Chris Cognac (log)

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

It's not exactly a secret, but I think Vinny's at Night would be perfect for your show. It's an Italian place in Somerville, located in the back of a convenience store.

nately, thats an awesome suggestion btw. I was thinking of suggesting that myself, but I hear the service lately is sub par because of all the hub bub

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Another breakfast of champions: Carman's Country Kitchen. Just ask Holly Moore about it (and Carman).

That's what I'm talkin' about right there! If you seek something that is quintessentially Philly and not to be found anywhere else, you have to go have breakfast with Carman.

Other purely Philly options would include the obvious aforementioned Cheesesteak and Roast pork rivalries, as well as warm pretzels from Fisher's at RTM, hoagies from Chickie's Deli, Bassett's ice cream, Capogiro gelato for sure, Taconeilli's pizza, some African cuisine in West Philly, Johnny Hots dogs, Bluecoat gin (a local potstill produced gin), or a BYO dinner at any of the many options at your disposal.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Sweet lucy's is a pretty sweet barbeque place in the near NE. Pretty unusual for a place like Philly.

Picanha is a pretty sweet brazilian rodizio that sells skewered meat. I went there two weeks ago and it was a pretty good deal at 20 bucks compared to the $40 all you can eat in places like NY. It's also in the North East, way out near Pennypack.

Last week I ate at a vegan place of all things called Horizons, in queen village, which just may be the best vegan food I've ever eaten. I had no idea what seitan was made out of, but it sounds like "satan" so I gave it a try. speak of the devil, it was good!

If you really want to go slightly off the beaten path, eat Mexican or Vietnamese food down on Wash. Ave, African food in W. Philly around Balt. Ave, or any random place in Chinatown.

If you REALLY want to go off the beaten path, eat Latin American food in North Philly and the lower Northeast, Eastern European food in Port Richmond, and Korean food in Cheltenham/Olney and Upper Darby.

And not off the beaten path at all, I hear Amada is pretty good. Of course, there's been nothing written about it so I may or may not be sure.

Edited by stephenc (log)

as well as warm pretzels from Fisher's at RTM,

Eating 20 cent pretzels dipped in a dollar whiz cup while drinking a forty with S. Philly art punks at 3 in the morning at the Pretzel factory on washington is fun too.

Edited by stephenc (log)

Good for you! I don't live at home in the states anymore, but can still offer a couple of suggestions if you are interested.

One outside Providence RI and another in the country near Huntsville Al. The one near Providence is definitly a cop, hunter, fisherman, trucker type of place with the best fish & chips I've ever had!

Hey Chris,

in Chicago, check out Hop Leaf (largest selection of belgian ales in N.A. and excellent bistro food - the mussels & frites are habit-forming) and Noon O'Kebab (great baba ghanoush, feta and - obviously - kebabs).

Good luck!