• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Time to let the cat out of the bag

Chris Cognac

Congratulations! Let me know if you need any hot tips on Torrance! :laugh::wink:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

How cool! My Hudson Valley expertise at your service.

When you call it "Hudson Valley", Liz, you make this area sound downright fabulous. At least you didn't include the "Lower". ^_^

A

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

Hi Chris, congratulations. How about a trip along 'Route 66' to some of the cool and interesting places that still live along the Mother Road.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Congratulations indeed!

Another plug here for San Diego, especially if you can ramble the county and are not limited to the official city.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Tad...we will be shooting L.A. and you are my man here...maybe a trip to what thai? WE want Sand Diego too, but have to work on it...DC, NYC, Chi town, Philly, Dallas, Charelston, Boston so far....and we already did Vegas

I heard there is a place called "Hay's" in Philly that might be up our alley..anyone heard of it?

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Congratulations! :smile:

For my regional two cents... I think the Heartland and the Southwest get overlooked, too often.

My recommendation is to fly into Denver, and take a bus to Federal Ave., where you could eat in bliss for a week--Vietnamese, Indian, Mexican--and don't forget the markets.

Way to go!

Chris, you're livin' the dream man. Way to go!

Keep me in mind if you roll through the Akron/Cleveland area. I don't have a crew or equipment like rockandroller, but I am pregnant and therefor always hungry AND a designated driver. :laugh:

While you're in Pennsylvania be sure to head for the central part and do Lebanon bologna. How many towns do you know of that have their own smoked meat product named after them?

Its going to start airing in October...so we will be shooting most of the summer....and Holly...you are my go to guy in Philly...all I have to say it "cheesesteak" and not pats of geno's either.....I know you have got all the places down when it comes to good food in Philly!

PS you guys rule!

Oh yeah, he should definitely go to Luigi's for a pie, that is some GOOD eatin'.

And I can always use a DD lesfen, so yayz.  You can drive the crew around, most of the guys I know don't have reliable cars. ha.

Ha! Sounds good. I'm always looking for an excuse to go to Luigi's. Hell with it... let's just get our own show!

Way cool, guy! I won't even try to lobby for Wichita. I already know it won't happen. :raz:

I'm especially looking forward to seeing if eGulleters can stop bashing the Food Network for a little while, and what kind of constructs folks will come up with ("except Chris's show, of course") to still be able to get a few licks in.

Maybe you can explain the reality of the Food Network to us. How it's programmed for a target audience, and we ain't it. Well, most of us, anyway. How programming decisions are determined by practicalities, such as the fact that in TV, a 30 minute show is not 30 minutes long. Truly, I think a lot of people would like to know more about how programming decisions are made, and how show content is determined by factors most of us would never think of.

I realize I'm sounding a little cynical, but this show sounds like stuff Food Network has already done to death. If they'll let you do your thing, I know you can make it fresh and interesting. Here's hoping they'll let you be you! Best wishes.

P.S. Don't forget to get recipes for the really good stuff. :biggrin:

Too funny, I actually wanted Witchita, and some of the other major cities that get over looked....

One thing I learned doing the pilot is "its a lot of work", and the food you eat is always freezing cold as its been prepared earlier and the lighting guys need to keep moving stuff around for the shots....

We can start thread for the individual cities when we have them set in stone....but the few I listed should be included....Miami and Dallas as well....

The Hungry Detective

Chris, When you get to Nashville (and you should get there), you have to stop in at Rotier's for a burger (ask for it on french bread) and a shake. Good stuff!

Also, there is a place (I can't remember the name) near the Parthenon (You HAVE to see the statue of Athena inside the Parthenon-- it's the most bizarre of bizarre things!) it serves a hot chicken sandwich with white barbecue sauce. It's a little hole in the wall place with a pig on the outside. I can't remember the name of it, but Holly might since he went there about the same time I did a few years ago.

It's definitely an off-the wall eats place.

Edited by TrishCT (log)

We can start thread for the individual cities when we have them set in stone....but the few I listed should be included....Miami and Dallas as well....

Just an idea ... when the various cities are set in stone, how about starting a thread in the specific geographical forum (i.e. "Chris's Show: Los Angeles" in the California forum; or "Chris's Show: Las Vegas" in the Southwest forum)?

Questions for you Chris: Is this a 30-minute show? 60 minutes? How many places are you (i.e., The Food Network) planning to cover in each episode?

Dare I ask this ... Is this the Food Network's version of a travel series, something like ... uhh ... Bourdain's series, with no Iceland or Vietnam?

I'm sorry, Chris, if it sounds like I'm bashing ... :unsure:

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Chris, When you get to Nashville (and you should get there), you have to stop in at Rotier's for a burger (ask for it on french bread) and a shake.  Good stuff!

Also, there is a place (I can't remember the name) near the Parthenon (You HAVE to see the statue of Athena inside the Parthenon-- it's the most bizarre of bizarre things!)  it serves a hot chicken sandwich with white barbecue sauce.  It's a little hole in the wall place with a pig on the outside.  I can't remember the name of it, but Holly might since he went there about the same time I did a few years ago.

It's definitely an off-the wall eats place.

You're thinking of Hog Heaven, imho the best bbq in Nashville proper. fwiw, I think Whitt's is the second best. Once you get out of metro Nashville, Smokin' Ed's way out in Smyrna is excellent.

There are a couple of other places in Nashville for a burger that are not as well known, and also very good. I think Rotier's is a little too in the know to be considered off the beaten path. But a burger on french with a chocolate shake and some deep fried pickles are definitely good easts.

Edited by carpetbagger, esq. (log)

Congratulations! I'll be sure to watch when it's on - I don't think you'll be out in this neck of the woods, but if you are, I'll be happy to share anything I know!

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Just an idea ... when the various cities are set in stone, how about starting a thread in the specific geographical forum (i.e. "Chris's Show: Los Angeles" in the California forum; or "Chris's Show: Las Vegas" in the Southwest forum)?

Questions for you Chris: Is this a 30-minute show? 60 minutes? How many places are you (i.e., The Food Network) planning to cover in each episode?

Dare I ask this ... Is this the Food Network's version of a travel series, something like ... uhh ... Bourdain's series, with no Iceland or Vietnam?

I'm sorry, Chris, if it sounds like I'm bashing ... :unsure:

Russel, you are not bashing at all, FN has just allowed me to "do my thing" all over the country instead of just my little corner of L.A.. Its going to be 30 mins with at least 5 different restaurants/food scenes....We did 6 for the pilot but it was too much information....We are going to try to keep the mix of food pretty broad with nice places and street food, with family joints and local "must try" places as well....I want people who watch this to get a look at "the rest of" what ever city we are in....which is why we did Vegas...Off the Strip for the pilot...it was great, everyone we showed it too had never seen any of the places we featured...even the Vegas locals on the crew were calling friends telling them about the places we were filming in thier own backyard...

Thats the feel we want....if the locals of that city can watch and see new stuff...

Yea, I mentioned the thread thing in an earlier post....I am going to do that next week when we get it all firmed up for the cities...that way we can all input stuff for the various places and not just in one thread...plus it will be easier for me to keep track of stuff....

Edited by Chris Cognac (log)

The Hungry Detective

Has there been a bribe level established yet (to convince you to pick our respective cities, I mean)? I hope you'll consider parity, so the big coastal markets don't always win (as in baseball) .:wink:

You seem to be taking this so calmly. I'm not sure I would be - but that's probably why you're doing it and I'm not (among other reasons). I know you've got to be busy but really appreciate that you're taking the time to share the experience so we can enjoy it vicariously.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

How cool! My Hudson Valley expertise at your service.

When you call it "Hudson Valley", Liz, you make this area sound downright fabulous. At least you didn't include the "Lower". ^_^

A

Ha ha Angela! Luckily, with generous friends who own a lake house in Colombia County, my Hud food exepertise extends way beyond Lo, if you'll excuse the expression!

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Congratulations, Chris! You'll start out with a following in advance and rightfully so.

I think we all hope you'll be focusing on areas where we live or are familiar with (NorCal here.) In honor of your other profession, I'm sure donut shops be included, won't they? :biggrin: Again- conratulations, let's hope this is only the beginning.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo