• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Time to let the cat out of the bag

Chris Cognac

I have been given a 10 episode prime time show from the Food Network that will focus on "off the beaten path" places and things to eat in the cities of America. Its actually just a giant version of my newspaper column..anyway, I am flying to NYC on Sunday to meet and discuss the cities we will visit etc....I would love to include eG and the fantastic folks here in the research and production of the show (some of you will be in it).

Yo, Chris! Way to go, man!! :cool::cool::cool:

I am putting myself out there and trusting the eG community to be honest and helpfull. I can take  constructive critisism but am not lookin to be "bashed".

Chris, I promise not to do anything that will give the appearance of "police bashing." :wink:

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

WooHooooooo! YAY! This is so exciting and I'm so happy for you. :biggrin:

I know a few people have commented about the whole "non-professionals only" rule for FTV but I think it's cool that you, a true foodie, were picked instead of yet another person who throws several cans of stuff together and calls it cooking. It's true we need pros on FTV but we also need people like you.

I'm sure you already have lots of ideas, but I think it'd be cool to take the obsessive foodie slant during your travels.... not just find cool places to eat in an area but find food related events as well, like culinary retreats, food festivals, places in the area doing unique work, etc.

......will feature things like where the chefs eat....where working people like cops, street workers, bloggers and the likes go.....

Well now I always did wonder where hookers eat...... :wink:

Los Angeles and Orange County? :biggrin:

Best Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese outside of those countries. Something that focuses on the thriving and vibrant "ethnic" neighborhoods in these counties would be great. We have great Mexican food too obviously, very good regional representation too. We also have a Little Ethiopia, huge Armenian and Persian populations, Thai Town, Filipino Town...

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Congratulations, Chris! It seems like just yesterday that you and I were discussing business cards on a thread here at eG. You've come a long way from that!

Your show sounds great to me. I am fascinated by regional foods, and hunting out dives is a favorite activity of mine. I will enjoy following your progress on eG, and I would love to help if you hit a city that I know well.

Best of luck to you!

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry

Congratulations Chris! This is so :cool:!!!!

Allow me to offer my services as an additional culinary tour guide when you come visit Philly. We could even plan a Pizza Club extravaganza in your honor!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

How exciting Chris! Congratulations!

Maybe I'm biased, but I think one city that doesn't get enough coverage is Kansas City! I know those of us in the Heartland would love to help you out with this one... there's lots to be discovered!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Los Angeles and Orange County?  :biggrin:

Best Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese outside of those countries. Something that focuses on the thriving and vibrant "ethnic" neighborhoods in these counties would be great. We have great Mexican food too obviously, very good regional representation too. We also have a Little Ethiopia, huge Armenian and Persian populations, Thai Town, Filipino Town...

Actually, I read somewhere that Orange County has the largest population of Vietnamese in the US. That always surprises people, most of whom probably figure it would be San Francisco or environs.

So you're right -- that would be an excellent choice. One could visit all the nations of Asia, and never leave southern California.

And let me offer my congratulations as well. It's always nice to see the good guys win one.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

While we're at it, I'd strongly suggest you put Tucson on your list. Unlike so many other destinations, it hasn't been done to death. In fact, it's often overlooked completely, but it's a great area for food and would be perfect for a show.

Food there really runs the gambit, and I mean really....

All the way from the famous, tres elegant, upscale and very expensive spa and guest ranch cuisine that lures the rich and famous to places like Canyon Ranch and the Tanque Verde Guest Ranch.

To the most lowly taco carts and taquerias and mercados down in the old Mexican section of one of our nation's oldest cities.

In between are upscale trendy restaurants like Jano's, traditional "old west" steak houses where the entire family comes to eat and dance the swing, and famous Mexican restaurants such as Cafe Poca Cosa, where the chef is always inventing new Mexican-inspired dishes, and old (and I do mean 'old') favorites like El Charro where, they claim, the chimichanga was invented back in 1922.

Several upscale hotels offer steak rides. You hop on board a hay wagon and get hauled off into the Sonora Desert, where you sit among the stately saguaro cactus under a starry western sky and eat your steak that has been grilled over a campfire, cowboy style.

A few miles down the highway is Arizona's little known wine country. Although that surprises folks, when you think about it, it makes sense. The Spaniards settled in this area centuries ago and wherever they went, they planted grapes to make the wine necessary for holy communion.

A little farther down the highway is Nogales, and another famous restaurant -- La Roca, which is built into a cave in the side of a small mountain. You sit there looking at the rock walls while you eat your chicken mole -- among the best I've ever had.

I think the Tucson area fits your theme perfectly.

:cool:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Congrats to you!

And might I suggest New Orleans? There are tons of places and, frankly, we could use an extra cop or two.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Congrats, Chris!! I don't have the knowledge that either Holly or Katie do of Philly, but I'd love to help in any way I can.

While you're in New York, you should take the subway to Astoria, Queens. I may be a little out of the loop, but it's often overlooked in favor of Brooklyn. What used to be primarily Greek neighborhood (can still find great fish there), you'll find a cool Egyptian place, a few good French bistros, as well as several Brazilian restaurants, to name a few. There's also Bohemian Hall, the oldest beer garden in the city.

This is going to be fun!!

edited because me fail english.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Congratulations! If you're thinking of Nashville, also think of Louisville, a couple hours north. Mint juleps and country ham. Colonel Sanders. Hot Browns. Benedictine. Large Asian, African American and Latino communities.

But mostly - how exciting for you!

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

WOW!! What a coup for you and for us e-gulleteers. Hope all goes well and foodily!

South Florida is NOT exactly a hot spot of fine dining, but I'd love to help out if you do happen to get down here. :rolleyes: Best of the best to ya, Chris!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

What an amazing opportunity! Congratulations, Chris. And how exciting for our members to be involved in the hunt for locations.

Will the network be selecting the cities for each episode based on viewing demographics or culinary potential? Or will you get to have some say in the selection of each city? Will you get to borrow police cars? What will the show be called? Food Beat?

And what do your co-workers have to say about your new project??

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook