• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Time to let the cat out of the bag

Chris Cognac

O.K. I guess its time to let the cat out of the bag. I have been a member of eG for a number of years and have had the pleasure of meeting many of you in person. I am a big fan of food, foodies, bloggers and the like and think that an entire new era of food journalism has arrived.

Now I will cut the the chase, for those of you who do not know, I am a Police Officer in Los Angeles and also write a food and wine column in the Daily Breeze newspaper. I have a "few friends" at the food network and have been a judge on Iron Chef America and a few other projects...anyway....Its been in the works for a few months and I was dying to tell people about it (although not eager to get my every move disected by some people here) so here goes...

I have been given a 10 episode prime time show from the Food Network that will focus on "off the beaten path" places and things to eat in the cities of America. Its actually just a giant version of my newspaper column..anyway, I am flying to NYC on Sunday to meet and discuss the cities we will visit etc....I would love to include eG and the fantastic folks here in the research and production of the show (some of you will be in it).

I will have the list of cities we will visit next week and would like to start a thread on each city to discuss and figure out where in fact we can shoot, visit, feature etc....

I am putting myself out there and trusting the eG community to be honest and helpfull. I can take constructive critisism but am not lookin to be "bashed".

The folks at Food Network are taking a chance and listening to what "we" as a community of food enthusiests,eaters, amatuer and paid food writers have to say, so with your help this can be a great show and we can feature some worthy and truely fantastic chefs, writers and just great people.

So what do you think, anyone want to help?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Edited by Chris Cognac (log)

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Chris,

Congratulations! I have had the pleasure to work with you on an Iron Chef collaboration, and as a journalist myself, I have total respect for you. I can't wait to see the show you carve out and knowing you it should be a lot of FUN!!!

Yay!! :smile:

:cool: This is so cool, Chris. I can show you around Rachel Ray's backyard if you are interested :laugh: in a general sense that is :wink:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Off the beaten path? No city in America has more or better Ethiopian Restaurants than DC; we even have a "little Ethiopia" now. And, to the uninitiated, it's a fairly exotic cusine -- eating without utensils and all. Call for details. Drop by for a guided tour.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

CONGRATULATIONS CHRIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go!!!!!!! Looking forward to seeing you on the

schedule!!!!! If you include Hawaii in your route let me know! I'd love to help out! This was

great news today! Thanks for sharing and I'll bet you are so glad you can finally tell

everyone! A hui hou :smile:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

Congratulations! And good for the Food Network for taking a chance, I know you'll do eG ers proud. If you ever make it to Australia, we'd be pleased to show you around.

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

congrats to you! sounds like it should be fun. are you leaving the force, or just taking a leave of absence so you can go shoot for a few months?

i have a couple of show-based questions:

first is about the basis for the show. you said that the food network is listening to what we want, but don't they already have eleventy billion similar shows? between food finds, foodnation, rachel ray's two shows, best of, roker on the road, and that new show that paula dean's kids just landed, how is yours really going to separate itself from the pack? they all seem to touch on where to eat in x city, and all go off the beaten path to some degree. i guess in some ways your show kinda sounds like mark decarlo's show on the travel channel.

second, when you thinkabout the list of places to go in your head, are you trying to hit just the typical big city places - nyc, chicago, boston, etc., regional favorites like austin and charleston, or are you going to go to smaller cities/towns? in fact, thinking of places to go just led me to think of my own concept for a show or book. hmmmmmmm.....

i look forward to the list of cities and hopefully being able to suggest a place or two along the way. hopefully y'all will hit nashville. at a minimum, it should be interesting to see what everyone lists.

Hey Chris! Congratulations!! Outstanding!

Albuquerque/ Santa Fe for chile comparisons! Tri-cultural fusion foods: Native/Hispanic/ Anglo......

Edited by Susan G (log)

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Congrats Chris! Come to South Carolina....now THAT'S off the beaten path!

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

The show will focus on just great places to eat regardless of what they are....we filmed the pilot in Vegas and did everything off the strip from chicken fried lobster at Binions to amazing pasta at Nora's on flamingo....its based on my "cops eye" of how to find great places....dives, hole in the walls, street food....stuff like that....we will still hit "normal places" but will feature things like where the chefs eat....where working people like cops, street workers, bloggers and the likes go.....if you watch the new Alton Brown feasting on ashpalt show you will get a taste of it as there is a day spent with me in a police car eating amazing "dive food"....

I think the cities will be the major US place...Chicago, Boston etc...Nashville is a place I really want to go as I spent 4 yrs at Ft Campbell and cruised Nashville every weekend.....I am counting you the folks here to help steer us in the right direction...my only regret is I can no longer be a judge on Iron Chef America....man that is a major bummer as it was really fun!

Oh yea, you can tell I am a cop by my avatar....its me in my police helicopter over L.A....just ask Holly Moore what its like....I got to fly him around L.A. for a night!

The Hungry Detective

How did you ever slip through the "no actual knowledge of food" net? :laugh: Kidding aside, that's great and good for you! I always use your blog when I'm looking for an off the beaten path place in your neighborhood, so I will look forward to it.

Did you mention (I failed "reading for comprehension 101") how long the show will be in production and when it might air?

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Its going to start airing in October...so we will be shooting most of the summer....and Holly...you are my go to guy in Philly...all I have to say it "cheesesteak" and not pats of geno's either.....I know you have got all the places down when it comes to good food in Philly!

PS you guys rule!

The Hungry Detective

Chris,

I am glad to hear of your new opportunity. Your show idea is one of my favorite hobbies when I travel. I miss and get some real loser meals now and then but most of the time I find some great places.

Lexington Ky has some great hidden Gems.

Edited by handmc (log)

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Congrats, Chris! And best of luck sneaking some actual content back onto Food Network! :wink:

I do hope you make it down to San Diego--as you may have noticed, we have a whole nest of eGulleteers and associated foodies down here who are all about the excellent little hole-in-the-wall mom'n'pop divey joints. You'll never suffer through an ersatz touristy fish "tack-o" if you hang with us! :biggrin: