• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SFA Events - Camp Nashville

LPM

Another rationale for the name.

From the Gourmands Guide to Dining In and Around Corinth by Milton Sandy Jr.

Seriously Holly, where did you come across that? I would love to see that book. What's the publication date on the thing.

Off to my friend Google, and, failing that, my pals Lexis and Nexis. Those two guys know everything.

OK, here's the scoop from Milton Sandy Jr., himself.

It was done on the occassions of my 30 and 40 year high school

reunions as a guide for "out-of-town" classmates returning.  It is slightly

out-of-date since the last reunion was 4 years ago.  The nice thing is

there is no advertising and the opinions are totally unbiased.  The only

thing is all directions are written as Corinth was 40 years ago so you may

need a little coaching to find things today.

... The Gourmand's Guide has about the most extensive researched

historical summary of slugburgers that has been published. 

It turns out Mr. Sandy is an eGullet member and is a prominant poster on the original Slugburger Thread

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

its going to be in historic nolensville and i should be open by august 11 or 12th.  come by and a "Q" sandwich is on me.

Location? Name??? We keep I-65 pretty well burned up in Summer, running our Granddaughter home from her visits up here in Indy. Coming through on Aug 12 or 13 to stay with the Grands in GA whilst their folks go on a cruise, and are always seeking out the REAL stuff.

I've been hoping you'd say you had a restaurant, just because of the know-how in your very first post. That all-night cooking is what it takes.

We had some passable cue in Ohio on Wednesday---Rudy's Smokehouse. You could smell the smoke when you got out of the car---that's a MUST. Good pulled, good selection of sauces, terrific baby red potato salad.

its going to be in historic nolensville and i should be open by august 11 or 12th.  come by and a "Q" sandwich is on me.

Location? Name??? We keep I-65 pretty well burned up in Summer, running our Granddaughter home from her visits up here in Indy. Coming through on Aug 12 or 13 to stay with the Grands in GA whilst their folks go on a cruise, and are always seeking out the REAL stuff.

I've been hoping you'd say you had a restaurant, just because of the know-how in your very first post. That all-night cooking is what it takes.

We had some passable cue in Ohio on Wednesday---Rudy's Smokehouse. You could smell the smoke when you got out of the car---that's a MUST. Good pulled, good selection of sauces, terrific baby red potato salad.

the name will be "Martin's Dixieland Barbecue". it will be in historic Nolensville which is about 10-15 miles southeast of downtown nashville, about 5-6 miles east of Brentwood. should be opening in mid-august. i will cook the meat every day/night to serve fresh....cooking shoulders & briskets between 20-22 hours over hickory/apple wood combination. folks will be served on thick brown butcher paper on a tray (beans etc will be in a cup). the atmosphere/feel will be very, very deep south. it will be decorated accordingly inside. i plan on serving my sauces and will have each of the major regions (n.carolina, mustard based low country, memphis, k.c. and texas brisket sauce) represented for personal choice of customer. ill also have SLUGBURGERS, burgers, gumbo, etouffee, chili, white chili w/smoked chicken, brisket tacos, baja fish tacos, and sandwiches such as chicken salad, peanut butter & bananna (elvis' fav.!) and a few other things. we're serving coke in the 7oz. bottles, sun-drop, pabst blue-ribbon etc.. -you get the feel. please come by if you ever can......your meal is on me.

Newgene Ledbetter would rather climb a tree to tell you a lie than stand on the ground and tell you the truth!

AWWWWW :wub: You sweet thing!!! Wish you'd been in business this weekend--we spent Friday night in Murfreesboro. Got in late, slept in, then scouted out the town for a catfish place for lunch (dinner to you 'n' me). The kids and Grands came and met us, we had the whole bit at Mike's---starters of the "fish chips" that seem to be catching on everywhere. Thin-sliced catfish, very lightly breaded, then deep-fried into crispy chips tasting of the whiskered marvel. And they set down the bowls of Northern beans and slaw, and a basket of hushpuppies before we even ordered, just like Uncle Bud's used to.

Grilled cheese/fries for Grand #1, catfish/hushpuppies/fried green tomatoes for Chris and DD#2, chicken and fried okra for her hubby, chicken fingers for me. Tiny wisps and bits off everybody's plate for just-turned-two Grand #2, each wee bite preceeded by "dipdip" (spoken with each dunking) into a dime-sized blob of ketchup. Many visitings of the fish in the tank, and a small ballgame in the far, empty corner when the place cleared out, whilst the grown folks talked.

The barbecue place in Ohio last week had six bottles on each table, all nestled into their places in a beer carton. The "sweet Tennessee" and the "hot" and the Carolina were delineated by the colors of their squeeze bottles, and the Malt vinegar, ketchup and something else were recognizable. A little printed card stapled to the carton explained each one, and there were paper towel rolls on each table.

The "Carolina" sauce had so many solids in the vinegar base that it stayed stopped up...every squeeze made it ooze out the edges of the screw-top lid. Maybe a whirl in a blender would give the same taste---I looked around and every pointy lid on every table had a shadowy chunk stuck in the tip.

The pale-wood dining room furniture had a thick, high gloss like a Last-Supper clock, so no oilcloth was needed. I think you could set down a black skillet of cornbread, right out of the oven, with no hot pad. One quick swipe with a fresh paper towel after we carried away our trays, and all was neat for the next customer. And about half the tables were HIGH, with stools instead of chairs.

Grand #2 came home with us, and we had a big grill-feast tonight, with each member of the family bringing something they'd like to throw on the fire. That was a first for us, as we usually always agree on a main, and all contribute salads and beans and sides. DS brought four steaks, in a garlicky marinade, along with a bunch of shrimp kebabs, with red peppers, onion and mushrooms, as well as a big bag of fresh cherries of all colors.

We had wings, drumsticks, Hebrew Nationals, lots of grilled corn, zucchini quarters done in soy and sesame oil, a big romaine/red onion/crouton/grated mozzarella salad with grainy mustard vinaigrette, and offered ice cream cones for dessert. No takers except for the youngest; we just set the bowl of cold cherries on the table and munched while we talked.

OH, and remember, it ain't a pulled sandwich without Slaw On.

edited to get the night right

Edited by racheld (log)

• 1 month later...

Camp Nashville was, in my opinion, our best event. I say that because we did the best job of giving back to the community. We produced two Joe York doc films, one on Prince's hot chicken, another on EW Mayo, king of sweet potato fried pies. And we did three oral histories. The lattter are online at www.southernfoodways.com. The films will be soon.

Here's a stream of consciousness report from a member, Fred Sauceman. And he's not fibbing about the catfish BLT's from Sean Brock, JTE

The sting of a lime popsicle from Las Paletas, and the salve of a second one, in plum. An echo of Bill Monroe’s mandolin at The Station Inn. Hap Townes’ recollections of stewed raisins. E.W. Mayo hoisting the Tabasco Guardian of the Tradition Award high above his wheelchair while sweet potatoes ooze from his fried pies.

Mahalia Jackson’s music. Mennonite-made tomato cocktail, with a whispered suggestion of Bloody Marys. Quartered Cherokee Purples. Ronda and Jonda jarring The Lipstick Lounge. The symbiosis of Allan Benton’s bacon and a plank of Sean Brock’s fried catfish.

Sideshow Benny slapping his jaws when he makes Tomato King. Tales of Phila Hach feeding the United Nations General Assembly beaten biscuits on the grounds of Nashville’s Parthenon. A painted pig for Jim N Nick’s. Pink Ping Pong tomatoes at The Turnip Truck. Dill pickle counterpoint to hot chicken melody and cayenne-stained light bread as coda.

Guardian Award winner André Prince Jeffries telling filmmaker Joe York about a customer who eats Prince’s hot chicken in a bathtub of cold water. Guardian Award winner David Swett, Jr., describing his “restaurant without recipes.” Habanero-spiced sausage and Yazoo brew among bricks at Marathon Motor Works. White beans green beans roast beef meatloaf macaroni fried green tomatoes banana pudding chocolate pie: Arnold’s. Praise for Mary Beth.

John T., you should rewrite that in lyric form and set it to music.

Clearly, you haven't ever heard him sing. It will pretty quickly put you off of your feed.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Maybe he could simply recite it, then. I have to admit that most of my contact with John T. has been with one or both of us under the influence. He might have sung and I missed it.

• 3 weeks later...