• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Atlanta BBQ (Midtown?)

Gustatorian

Any and all help would be appreciated! I've been tasked with selecting a spot for Saturday lunch in ATL, and it has been suggested that Thelma's or Mary Mac's would clash with the dinner Friday night at South City Kitchen. Therefore, can anoyne suggest a good BBQ joint for lunch on Saturday? I missed Sweatman's in SC last time through, and I've got a craving...

Thanks,

Alex

If you really have to stay in Midtown, your choices are pretty limited: Fat Matt's is about it. If you can stretch the boundaries a bit, Pig-N-Chik is a step up, and easy to get to (both locations are on main arteries). Great expectations are not your friends, though, for any of these places. If you want decent stuff, you'll have to go outside the Perimeter.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Are you entirely committed to dinner at South City Kitchen? Never one of my favorites, and recent reports have been way less than stellar.

I'd do lunch Saturday at Mary Mac's (not a bbq place, but then neither is Thelma's) and go someplace other than South City Kitchen for dinner on Friday.

Can you pee in the ocean?

It's not in Midtown but Buckhead, but it's Texas style as opposed to Carolina, which is what Fat Matt's is (so I hear), and I prefer texas style. It's called One Star Ranch, fka the Rib Ranch. I had a great lunch there on my recent trip. www.onestarranch.com

So, in my usual style, I took all of the advice offerred and ignored it. We went to South City Kitchen for dinner Friday, and it was very good. I met Andy Gonzales, South City's sous chef, that evening at a cocktail party, and he told me that they were turning out the best food he's seen them do since he got there, and I believe him. Our group of 9 had 7 different appetizers, and 6 different entrees, and all were very good. Their wine list was very nice - nothing exceptional, but nice, and not overpriced. The service felt a bit rushed, but I've noticed that before in high(-er) end US establishments, so it was not a major problem.

Saturday, we ended up at Taqueria del Sol, which was excellent. The lineup at the door was justified by the product within, and I would certainly go back. I had several tacos, two of which were carnitas, so I did get some southern barbecue, just further west than usual.

Thanks again, Atlantans, for your help. I look forward to returning.