• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Restaurant Menu Card

Wimpy

For me, a faxed list of menu contents is not a substitute for the actual menu. There are some menus that have strong visual appeal, wholly apart from the wonderful dishes listed in them. For example, one of Grand Vefour's menus is a dark purple color with a character design on it. It is quite beautiful.

Initially it was the information I sought and it's still what I crave the most, but I have come to appreciate the souvenir item, especially for it's place in history as the meal goes further into my past.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

On menu collecting, note I now pencil in dates when the applicable menu was retrieved from the restaurant in question. Otherwise, I would quickly forget which menu applied to which meal at a given restaurant.

I'd appreciate input from eGulleteers with menu collections as to how such collections are safeguarded. Mine currently sit in a pile in one of my cabinets.

When I was at Chanterelle in NY recently, the restaurant had a little phamplet with miniature depictions of particularly nicely illustrated past menus. In NY, I find restaurants sometimes provide the insert with the dishes from the menu, and not the menu jacket itself. :hmmm:

In Paris, Ducasse has a special menu printed up for handing out--or was that just the take out menu I got?

:laugh:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

In Paris, Ducasse has a special menu printed up for handing out--or was that just the take out menu I got?

:laugh:

Bux -- That is the case, at Ducasse. The menu at the table is on a vertical metal stand. Then, when one leaves, one receives the current menu items on a semi-translucent sheet that is inserted into an ADNY folder. The folder is rather long, and has a slot that could be construed as a carrying handle. One receives, of course, bread as well.