• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need lunch suggestions for a 15 in 3 areas

ellenesk

Planning an event in Toronto, and need suggestions for 3 different neighborhood for 3 different groups of college age kids. under $30 per person for lunch

Bloor near the ROM

Spadina between Dundas and Queen

Dupong St. at Davenport

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Overeasy and Dynasty for the Bloor street group has been suggested.

If you were willing to travel to Church/Front I'm pretty sure we could put something together with a tapas menu at JK Wine Bar.

Please feel free to private message me if that would work.

"nil illigitimum carborundum"

Bloor near the ROM

- if you can wait for JK @ Gardiner, that'd be a treat! I'm looking forward to its opening. His ROM thing was great and I love the Wine Bar, (though seating makes me cry). So if you go this route, make reservations.

- Windsor Arms lunch. Now, I'm not positive what prices are for lunch, but most menu options should be under $30 for lunch. It's a really nice space, but very upper crust.

- 7 West isn't next door, but it is about a 7 minute walk or so. I haven't been, but have heard good reviews. you could try Okonomi house for some osakan comfort food, but you might want to scope that out to see if it works for your group. Seating area is limited, but it's cheap and hearty.

Spadina between Dundas and Queen

- if you're on the go, hit up a vietnamese sandwich place! ($2 sammiches!)

- otherwise, go for pho, either at the choo choo place (uhh.. Xe le?), or you can try that BBQ joint on the corner, 1 block south of Dundas and Spadina. Sorry, names always elude me.

- Hitting up Kim Moon on Dundas, east of Spadina is always cool. I think they're serving dimsum now too. But frankly, it's all about the egg tarts!

- Asian Legend at 418 Dundas West, at Beverley serves up some Shanghainese food. Soup dumplings are nummy. (ganked info from NOW) I haven't eaten at the downtown location, but I have eaten up north at a couple of them. Always a good meal. Also reccommended is the fatty pork. They tie it up all nice and the meat just melts. Those calorically concerned should try and shut off the brain for that.

dunno the other location. I'm much more familliar with the Yonge/Dundas area.

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

the choo choo pho restaurant is called Pho Xe Lua and has a green sign with the locomotive, of course. And the BBQ place is Gold Stone (red/yellow sign?), both are on the west side of Spadina just south of Dundas. I'm kind of neutral on both but they aren't _bad_ and should suit the requirements listed (well, Xe Lua might be a little small for 15 if they're already busy. I really like Swatow which is just north of Dundas on the west side of Spadina, but they too might have trouble with 15 if they're busy (and they often are).

the Rivoli serves up surprisingly good food, they're just east of Spadina on the north side of Queen but I don't know if they do lunch.

Yes, the Rivoli is open for lunch.

so is the queen mother, same basic menu a block eastwards. Rivoli has the great front people watching patio, queen mom has the great back garden urban seclusion patio.

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman