• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

mai tais for 20?

dvs

i need to make mai tais for 20 people next friday. i'm looking for fresh ingredient preperations and amounts. cocktailgeek, your input is much appreciated if you see this... (xo your friend up in y-ville)

thanks for any & all help!!

i need to make mai tais for 20 people next friday. i'm looking for fresh ingredient preperations and amounts. cocktailgeek, your input is much appreciated if you see this... (xo your friend up in y-ville)

thanks for any & all help!!

Although the original recipe called for 2 different rums, you can substitute one good quality rum. The following recipe is from Dave Wondrich:

1 oz aged Martinique Rhum (J. Bally or St. James Vieux Rhum)

1 oz Jamaican rum (I like Coruba, when I can find it; otherwise, one of the darker Appletons)

1/2 oz orange curacao (Marie Brizard, when I can get it; otherwise I cheat and use Grand Marnier)

1 oz lime juice

1/2 oz Monin orgeat

Assuming you need 2 cocktails per person, you will need 2 bottles of each rum and 1 bottle each of orgeat and curacao (Cointreau will work, as well). I'm assuming 750ml bottles. If you decide to go with a single rum, you would need 4 (750 ml) bottles or 3 one-liter bottles. Assume around 1oz of lime juice per lime, add a few more to be safe and for garnishing (a lime wheel and a mint sprig), and buy about 60 or so limes. If you have containers large enough, I would make 2 batches, each making around 25 drinks:

2 (750ml) bottles rum

1/2 (750 ml) bottle orgeat

1/2 (750ml) bottle curacao or Cointreau

25 oz. lime juice (3 cups)

juice the limes as close to serving time as possible, then shake and strain over fresh ice, crushed if possible. Garnish with a mint sprig and lime wheel. Smile.

Marcovaldo Dionysos

Cocktail Geek

cocktailgeek@yahoo.com

juice the limes as close to serving time as possible, then shake and strain over fresh ice, crushed if possible.  Garnish with a mint sprig and lime wheel.  Smile.

You might want to add some extra water. Bottled cocktail recipes often need water to make up for what you don't get from melting ice.

juice the limes as close to serving time as possible, then shake and strain over fresh ice, crushed if possible.  Garnish with a mint sprig and lime wheel.  Smile.

You might want to add some extra water. Bottled cocktail recipes often need water to make up for what you don't get from melting ice.

"then shake and strain over fresh ice"

"then shake and strain over fresh ice"

Thanks.

Marcovaldo Dionysos

Cocktail Geek

cocktailgeek@yahoo.com

Another quick way to do it is just turn oz. into cups. So

2.0 oz Rum=2 cups

.75 oz curacao= 3/4 cup

Then you can double or triple the recipie as you wish.

Not as exact as working with oz., but it sure gets you into the ball park, and out on the field pretty quick, then a little tweaking and you're home.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE