• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rick Bayless in Puerto Vallarta

Jean Blanchard

Last March, there was an article in the local Puerto Vallarta paper that reported that Rick Bayless was scouting out locations for a new restaurant.  Anyone heard anything about that?

jb

No, but if you go to his web site Frontera Kitchens there's a link where you can submit questions. From the wordiness and syntax of the responses, it seems he's really answering inquires.

Too bad you didn't talk to me before you went.  I could have lead you to some really fabulous restaurants.

If we ever go again - with a last-minute-rock-bottom-priced flight - I will take you up on your advice.

Okay, I will fess up to a few stellar moments eating there.

They were: 1. lunch from an elderly and very popular woman's food stall in the sad excuse for a market downtown.

2. man on beach serving skewers (whittled out of branches) of fish and shrimp that cooked over carbon

3. the absolute best homemade coconut pie.

4. Chicharoncitos served poolside by the sweetest bartender ever.

Jean where do folks go for a rip-roaring market closest to P.V.?

I have spent some time with Chef Bayless over recent months including this past weekend and I never heard him mention anything of the sort. Of course it might not be something that he might not be talking about in public and I do not know him well enough that he would necessarily confide something like that to me even if it were true. I would have to think that if he were to open a restaurant in Mexico that that location would not be foremost on his list. I suspect that he is busy enough as it is.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Probably just wishful thinking on the part of PV residents but one can always hope.

If you're looking for an outdoor market, there is one north from the center of town by the cemetery (not very appetizing, I guess). They do have really fresh fish and produce. We do a lot of our own cooking since we're there for a long time. Otherwise, Gigante is probably the best grocery type store. They get more and more every year as they start to understand the needs of tourists.

If you're looking for an outdoor market, there is one north from the center of town by the cemetery (not very appetizing, I guess).  They do have really fresh fish and produce. 

Thanks Jean. Now I'm intrigued. What days are the market? Specialities of the area - besides fish?

Have any photos you can post?

Bayless did a whole episode on PV, has anyone seen it?

Bayless did a whole episode on PV, has anyone seen it?

I saw it, in fact I've seen it twice :hmmm: KPBS here in America's Finest City doesn't do much with the PBS cooking shows (but they run 72 hours of PBS cartoon programming. Go figure), and their scheduling of the cooking shows can be odd.

It was actually pretty good, mostly street food. Started poolside at a hotel, segued to lunch (bistec mexicana) at a market fonda, to a mid afternoon snack at a tamaleria, to a hamburgesa stand outside of town for a quick dinner and ended up at a taco cart for a late nigh nosh.

What are chicharoncitos? Somehow related to pork rinds?

(Googling didn't help me since I don't speak Spanish.)

Thanks!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

What are chicharoncitos? Somehow related to pork rinds?

(Googling didn't help me since I don't speak Spanish.)

Thanks!

They look like this before they are fried.

chicharoncitos

They puff up when thrown in hot oil. Serve doused with Tapatio hot sauce. Not much too do with pork rinds, but a similar snack.

I love that endearing term - ito or ita - applied to food.

Chicharoncitos, mamacita? Don't forget to roll the r. Chicharrrrrroncitos

2. man on beach serving skewers (whittled out of branches) of fish and shrimp that cooked over carbon

Good food in Pto Vallarta is a challenge, but you can find it.

I love the fish you mentioned smothered in Huichol sauce.

We drove about half an hour inland and went to the most glorious bbq place I've ever been to. Tons of food, a place for the kiddies to play and lots of beer. Cheap and fun and one of my favorites.

There is also a good taco to be had on the big square where all the buses turn around.

Shhhhh. Don't tell but there's a fabulous bistro called Hooters, which means "where the sea meets the butterfly" in ancient Huichol, I think. Very exotic and one of the reasons I love to travel, to discover little gems like this!

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Good food in Pto Vallarta is a challenge, but you can find it.

I love the fish you mentioned smothered in Huichol sauce.

We drove about half an hour inland and went to the most glorious bbq place I've ever been to. Tons of food, a place for the kiddies to play and lots of beer. Cheap and fun and one of my favorites.

There is also a good taco to be had on the big square where all the buses turn around.

Shhhhh. Don't tell but there's a fabulous bistro called Hooters, which means "where the sea meets the butterfly" in ancient Huichol, I think. Very exotic and one of the reasons I love to travel, to discover little gems like this!

Nice to hear your voice again RG.

Hooters, you say? Where the sea meets the butterfly? Really? After how many beers?

Edited by shelora (log)

Hooters, you say?  Where the sea meets the butterfly? Really? After how many beers?

I'm pretty sure that's what it means....

Pto V is nice because you can get cheap flights, the airport is zero hassle and it's a short flight from SFO. You can stay pretty cheap and you can stay in the old part of town and it's not so bad. I did meet a lot of very boozy ex-pat Americans there. You can also take the night bus and spend a few days in Guadalajara.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

We had no problem finding great street food in Puerto Vallarta. Many of the stands near the supermarket were excellent. We returned repeatedly (read: daily) to Tacos Mariscos de Vallarta, just north of Constitution on Serdan, for freshly-fried shrimp empanadas with fiery salsa cola de raton. There were plenty of tasty tacos al pastor/gringas a block or two from the beach (my favorite was on Madero just south of I. Vallarta, right on the corner). The quality of food turned out from these carts is unbelievable, each offering a unique selection of taco toppings and home(cart)made salsas. When you get tired of eating while balancing your plate on your knee with salsa verde slowly dripping off your elbow (day 6 for me), you can check out El Repollo Rojo (one of our favorite meals in PV), La Palapa (for breakfast or drinks at sunset), and Trio.

Visited the market up north as well, and there was an interesting variety of produce, but nowhere near the bounty that I expected to find.