• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bubble Tea

Skie

Im just gonna say this...<br /><br />DO NOT BE OFFENDED.<br /><br />BUT<br /><br />Do not buy BOBA at Asian Markets. Ive seen too many variables as far as storage and grocery workers not realizing or knowing what FRESH Boba are supposed to look like and where to store them and not tossing out old stock...<br /><br />Boba ideally should be in vacuum packed plastic bags with NO condensation or powdery substance. Im not sure but It shouldnt be frozen until after its cooked.<br />Ups and downs in temps make it fall apart and become mushy...<br /><br />If any of this is incorrect please advise me<br />

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Any hints for cooking large tapioca pearls?

I followed the instructions on a package, and it did not work out.

Soak in water over night, cook on top of double boiler.

Many were still crunchy and others dissolved.

Maybe they were just really old?

Ive never heard of soaking them or using a double boiler.

This is the standard cooking method:

http://www.bubbleteasupply.com/index.php?page=recipes.html

Hello- In my opinion, this is the best bubble tea site!

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

• 1 year later...

Okay you guys!

This am I saw this link to a recipe to make PANDA SHAPED BOBAS! OMG so Kawaii! So time consuming, slightly demented!

You must click and look!

http://yukitchen.com/panda-boba/

It's been a while since this post was active, but what a great addition! Mixing the tapioca flour with silken tofu seems to be a be a good method for getting a texture/consistency that is stable and wont break apart when cooked. What gave you the idea to do that?

When I've used tapioca and water in the past, it didn't work out as well, and any boba (not boobs, I promise) I made would break apart. I've had some success with microwaving the mixture before boiling or steaming them. Seems like the microwave the wet mixture enough to maybe gelatinize it or make it tacky enough to survive cooking in water. Before that I would attempt to add boiling water to it, then knead it, but my hands didn't like that very much...