• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blow your mind (and your wallet)

Folks

Haven't posted on here for quite some time (too much to do, too little time) but you may like to see this: Aubergine Dinner (1.6Mb, you may have to download first then open it if your broswer doesn't have the right viewer).

Start saving up now. For me, I'm not sure I can hide the expenditure from the missus.

Cheers, Howard

[edit: more manageable 58k .PDF version here Aubergine Dinner (PDF)]

Edited by howardlong (log)

Whoa! I was eagerly looking forward to opening that and thinking that this is a place I don't mind splashing out on. Catch being that this doesn't mean splashing out, it means having to remortgage the house. :blink:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Howard - any idea of the value of the deal (as distinct from the price)?  Those wines look pretty rare.

A quick totting up from notional prices on wine-searcher.com shows a booze value of £3,750 inc VAT per person.

Hope that £5,200 per person includes service...

Cheers, Howard

A quick totting up from notional prices on wine-searcher.com shows a booze value of £3,750 inc VAT per person.

Interestingly I just came off the 'phone to a fellow food and wine lover, who independently said something I'd mentioned to Thierry last week when he chatted about this dinner with me. We agreed that the only thing we'd change on the wines is to go for a 1921 Yquem rather than (or in addition to) the 1967.

But this is still just dreaming.

Cheers, Howard

Sounds like a great treat from the wine selection but $12000 Cdn$ is my rent in London for three months :angry:

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

It will be interesting to see how much publicity this gets in the papers.

Since you ask ...

Yes p62 in the Times this morning, also Times Whine and Dine Article.

I am not sure where the £16,000 quoted in the column is calculated. Including VAT there's £45 grand of wine there for twelve. The 1945 Mouton Rothschild magnum comes in at 8 grand, as does the Petrus 1961 magnum, so it's £16k just for those two.

I am never surprised at how the mainstream media take pleasure out of such reporting and get away with it. If there was a freebie going I am sure it would be the hacks who would be first up at the bar lapping it up!

It will certainly be an interesting chat I'll be having with Thierry and Billy next time I see them.

Cheers, Howard

Edited by howardlong (log)

He isn’t too pleased. “If you tell me where the letter is coming from, I might continue this conversation.” Is the event secret? “Yes and no.” Any takers so far? “Maybe, maybe not.”

Maybe I'm naive, but I presumed that this was a PR stunt to get the name of the restaurant in the papers.

He isn’t too pleased. “If you tell me where the letter is coming from, I might continue this conversation.” Is the event secret? “Yes and no.” Any takers so far? “Maybe, maybe not.”

Maybe I'm naive, but I presumed that this was a PR stunt to get the name of the restaurant in the papers.

No I can assure you that it's genuine. Thierry Tomasin is one of very few MCA's in this country (Master of Culinery Arts), an award that is earned and bestowed on only very few recipients. Certainly one thing that Aubergine could not be accused of since Ramsay left in 1998 is trying to pose PR stunts.

Cheers, Howard

No I can assure you that it's genuine. Thierry Tomasin is one of very few MCA's in this country (Master of Culinery Arts), an award that is earned and bestowed on only very few recipients. Certainly one thing that Aubergine could not be accused of since Ramsay left in 1998 is trying to pose PR stunts.

Cheers, Howard

agree with that. Aubergine, are almost the anti-pr

curiously when I had the 1978 & 59 La Tache's recently, there wasn't a great of development difference between the two. presume the richebourgs, being a little more 'muscular' will be in just as good a state.

if you go - enjoy.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?